Joanne World Tour
🎸 🎤 🤘 JOANNE TOUR TICKETS ON SALE NOW 🤘 🎤 🎸
question

Grandma Germanotta Uncomfortable w "Joanne"?

Featured Posts

Gracious Gaga   Paws Up 535
Gracious Gaga

Did anyone else feel that Lady Gaga's grandmother felt uncomfortable after hearing the song "Joanne"?  Watching that scene gave me the impression that her grandma is not fond on Gaga using the death of Joanne as an album concept.  

What did you guys think about that?  

• Like 11
  • LMAO 1

Alan123   Paws Up 3,639
Alan123

Well, she said that it's been 40 years and it was okay. She was also okay with Gaga taking whatever she needed for it so I don't think she was uncomfortable. Gaga's dad on the other hand, they show him leaving the room, he probably got a little emotional as well.

• Like 10

andy232000   Paws Up 4,640
andy232000

She openly said that she doesnt like it when Gaga dwells on the past over and over again with joanne. She even said it in the documentary, "its been over 40 years". I remember gaga said something about her just not wanting Her granddaughter to be linking herself and worried the rest of her life over someone she never met.

i lowket think her granmother thinks the whole "i am joanne" is extra 

Edited by andy232000
  • Like 73
  • LMAO 13
  • Love 1

That J   Paws Up 3,767
That J

My favorite line in the movie was the grandmother saying "Now don't go getting all maudlin over this!"   I laughed because I understood what she meant.  Gaga's sitting there bracing the poor woman and it HAD been 40 years. The grandmother said it was beautiful and enjoyed the song. I just felt she'd already gone through those motions so many years prior. She did seem to like the song. Personally, I had to look away for a moment during that scene because I nearly felt uncomfortable but it's one of the best parts of the film!  

• Like 23
I just want to feel everything.

Reginald   Paws Up 825
Reginald
2 minutes ago, andy232000 said:

She openly said that she doesnt like it when Gaga dwells on the past over and over again with joanne. She even said it in the documentary, "its been over 40 years". I remember gaga said something about her just not wanting Her granddaughter to be linking herself and worried the rest of her life over someone she never met.

i lowket thing her granmother thinks the whole "i am joanne" is extra 

And girl it IS extra lol 

• Like 9
  • LMAO 9
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 1
What's a nice place like this doing around people like us?

That J   Paws Up 3,767
That J

I love the Joanne album and song in particular but it wasn't surprising to me to see the grandmother basically kindly say "really?"  Lol.   She's a cute little grandmother tho! 

• Like 2
I just want to feel everything.

Edonis   Paws Up 13,302
Edonis

Her grandmother didn’t seem to have an issue with Gaga tributing Joanne, I think the problem was that she didn’t want her to dwell upon it since it was so long ago. Gaga mentioned this as well early on in the album campaign. 

• Like 16
  • YAAAS 2

Unites   Paws Up 2,820
Unites

She was uncomfortable with the song indeed. Maybe Gaga pressed her a little bit too much with this song/album :oprah:

• Like 2
#PerfectIllusion

JamesFox   Paws Up 1,867
JamesFox

The scene with her Grandmother felt awkward, I don’t think she wanted to be filmed while listening to the song to be honest.   It must’ve meant a lot for Gaga though, you could see she wanted approval from her Grandmother. 

• Like 8

Benji   Paws Up 13,048
Benji

She's not as used to being infront of cameras as much as Gaga and her parents, that did contribute to the "awkward" sense to that scene.  I think her Grandmother enjoyed the song but as other users have pointed out, I don't think she likes Gaga spending so much time reflecting on it.

• Like 13

BrothaGaga   Paws Up 4,813
BrothaGaga

She didn't want Gaga to be somewhat "obsessed" (idk if it's the right word) over Joanne. Totally understandable.

BUT

Gaga has said multiple times before that her dad was the one who was more affected over the loss of his sister (that's why he cried and walked out), and it made a huge impact on him, especially on how they raised Gaga.

• Like 20

Phoenix   Paws Up 16,191
Phoenix

she was just confused about dancing in circles being on the album

• Like 4
  • LMAO 48
💎

Steve Nasty   Paws Up 10,426
Steve Nasty
20 minutes ago, BrothaGaga said:

She didn't want Gaga to be somewhat "obsessed" (idk if it's the right word) over Joanne. Totally understandable.

BUT

Gaga has said multiple times before that her dad was the one who was more affected over the loss of his sister (that's why he cried and walked out), and it made a huge impact on him, especially on how they raised Gaga.

exactly. it's really for her dad. I wish we could have seen his first listen of the song instead.

• Like 4
  • YAAAS 1

WildAmerican   Paws Up 6,354
WildAmerican

Gaga seems to care A LOT more about it than her Grandma. She might've gone a little too far with the whole Joanne thing. Joanne being an extension of herself is a good album theme but she's definitely being a little "maudlin"

• Like 6
Stream the SOTY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en2D_5TzXCA

Bio   Paws Up 7,914
Bio

Being italian, that's exactly how an italian family works. You can see how uncomfortable Joe is being there, he had to leave the room because he couldn't deal with his feelings and share that with his family. Same thing happened to her grandma. 

• Like 12