💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
game

Final Fantasy XV: A New Outlook for the FF series.

Seeka

Featured Posts

Please read Logan's topic about FFXV nad what's it's about for more info on the game in general.

This is kind of my first impressions from watch my brother play all day, and the taste of free combat I had while waiting for my copy to install.

I do not classify FFXV as a JRPG.

I classify it as a western RPG, but with JRPG storytelling elements, as the story is set in stone.

But most of the gameplay mechanics and elements are very western RPG, comparable to games like Shadows of Mordor, Assassin's Creed, and Dragon Age. It's very action oriented, having dropped the ATB guage. You fight enemies where you find them, not enetering a new battlefield when you encounter enemies.

For those of you really looking to play a Final Fantasy, but aren't into JRPGs or how they play, I highly suggest FFXV.

Not only does it drop a lot of JRPG mechanics in favor of WRPG mechanics, it also seems to drop a lot of Japanese tropes in fvor of a more western American feel. While Noctis is still angsty, I'd say the entire party has a more welcome flavor, all of them being snarky and incredibly witty in their own ways.

if you're looking to play a Final Fantasy, know that this one may be for you. But also know it is incredible different when compared to other games in the line.

Anastasia

MY ONLINE DELIVERY HAS BEEN DELAYED AND I WON'T RECEIVE IT UNTIL THURSDAY :deadbanana::rip:

FATWIFE, First Lady Of GGD

ItsTommyBitch

I agree with your assessment and honestly, this is what turns me off about the game :emma: Not that its "new" or unfamiliar terrority to the FF series specifically, but because the new ground it does cover is specifically not to my liking :saladga: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

17 minutes ago, Anastasia said:

MY ONLINE DELIVERY HAS BEEN DELAYED AND I WON'T RECEIVE IT UNTIL THURSDAY :deadbanana::rip:

You poor thing *huggles* I hope you enjoy it though. Don't expect to really play any of the other games and thoroughly enjoy them, though. While there are a few games that have had similar elements to XV, none of them have really gone as far as XV.

15 minutes ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

I agree with your assessment and honestly, this is what turns me off about the game :emma: Not that its "new" or unfamiliar terrority to the FF series specifically, but because the new ground it does cover is specifically not to my liking :saladga: 

The fact it has gone so western in style?

Well I think that's square caring more about money than anything else.

The console market is  dead fish in the water in japan. And real straight up JRPGs are becoming more or less cult movements/classics in gaming as Japan has fallen behind USA and Europe in terms of ideals, characters types, so forth and so on. So it's a better interest for Square, who has a more international market, to move in a western direction, with its games and the ideals.

Not to mention, XV is a make or break with the fandom. Square had to do good. All they would've had left after this, if it failed, was probably floating on remakes and KH3.

I honestly think XV has brought new hope for me in the series. After the failure of 12 and dead horse that was 13, I'm not sure if I had hope left for the series. I mean Type-0 lifted me up, but since it is considered a side game (and I can see some flaws in it myself) I was waiting on XV.

However there is hope Square will return to more traditional JRPG roots. Besides Bravely doing rather well, X-3 is being planned, and we have no plans for XVI as of yet.

There's also the fact XV was taken from FNC project, which as whole, seems to be a set of games which were more action oriented, and was a true take away from the series, removing most if not all platforming elements (except for XIII-2) and really made it about battle.

So I wouldn't be down if you're looking for a true JRPG. But you may be waiting for a while.

ItsTommyBitch
Just now, Seeka said:

You poor thing *huggles* I hope you enjoy it though. Don't expect to really play any of the other games and thoroughly enjoy them, though. While there are a few games that have had similar elements to XV, none of them have really gone as far as XV.

The fact it has gone so western in style?

Well I think that's square caring more about than anything else.

The console market is  dead fish in the water in japan. And real straight up JRPGs are becoming more or less cult movements/classics in gaming as Japan has fallen behind USA and Europe in terms of ideals, characters types, so forth and so on. So it's a better interest for Square, who has a more international market, to move in a western direction, with its games and the ideals.

Not to mention, XV is a make or break with the fandom. Square had to do good. All they would've had left after this, if it failed, was probably floating on remakes and KH3.

I honestly think XV has brought new hope for me in the series. After the failure of 12 and dead horse that was 13, I'm not sure if I had hope left for the series. I mean Type-0 lifted me up, but since it is considered a side game (and I can see some flaws in it myself) I was waiting on XV.

However there is hope Square will return to more traditional JRPG roots. Besides Bravely doing rather well, X-3 is being planned, and we have no plans for XVI as of yet.

There's also the fact XV was taken from FNC project, which as whole, seems to be a set of games which were more action oriented, and was a true take away from the series, removing most if not all platforming elements (except for XIII-2) and really made it about battle.

So I wouldn't be down if you're looking for a true JRPG. But you may be waiting for a while.

Not necessarily that its gone western as a whole, as I have nothing against western RPGS, it is rather the specific conventions it has taken... such as the approach to battle, gameplay, characterization, etc.  I don't know much of the story yet, but its basically that and specific gameplay ive yet to experience that could redeem it for me. Don't know yet. I just dont really enjoy the cast or battle or environment and to me in a sense being "realistic" is equally as gimmicky as the older story-writing and game developing characteristics of JRPGs (obvious tropes in character development, an almost mandatory fantasy element to the world, etc) it is just a "new" gimmick how I see it :shrug: Which is fine, I just don't like that one. 

I also know enough Japanese to play and enjoy JRPGs in their native language and import them when I have time, so I'm not really worried about FF as a specific franchise or of the death of the JRPG :emma: 

I'm also one of those heathens who loved Final Fantasy 13 :sis: (just the original, not 13-2 or lightning returns :air:) so I'm not looking at the game as like super determinant of their future as a franchise, though it may be indicative of future stylistic decisions. Market wise, I still don't think their time is up either, so to me this is just another installment and one I'm not sure I like yet.

My brother is currently playing it and I won't get a chance to fully get into it until my Christmas break in two weeks :giveup: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

6 minutes ago, ItsTommyBitch said:

Not necessarily that its gone western as a whole, as I have nothing against western RPGS, it is rather the specific conventions it has taken... such as the approach to battle, gameplay, characterization, etc.  I don't know much of the story yet, but its basically that and specific gameplay ive yet to experience that could redeem it for me. Don't know yet. I just dont really enjoy the cast or battle or environment and to me in a sense being "realistic" is equally as gimmicky as the older story-writing and game developing characteristics of JRPGs (obvious tropes in character development, an almost mandatory fantasy element to the world, etc) it is just a "new" gimmick how I see it :shrug: Which is fine, I just don't like that one. 

I also know enough Japanese to play and enjoy JRPGs in their native language and import them when I have time, so I'm not really worried about FF as a specific franchise or of the death of the JRPG :emma: 

I'm also one of those heathens who loved Final Fantasy 13 :sis: (just the original, not 13-2 or lightning returns :air:) so I'm not looking at the game as like super determinant of their future as a franchise, though it may be indicative of future stylistic decisions. Market wise, I still don't think their time is up either, so to me this is just another installment and one I'm not sure I like yet.

My brother is currently playing it and I won't get a chance to fully get into it until my Christmas break in two weeks :giveup: 

I actually like the characterization and the battle mechanics. Though I also played Type-0 which kind of acts as a taste of XV in terms of battle. I also enjoy how it approaches harvesting mechanics (like making fishing a minigames) and allowing customization of the car, and having the car be realistic.

As I said though, the story-telling is linear, like JRPGs. You can't possibly develop Noctis into the evil overlord of of all three countries.

I think you should wait to really play teh game (and watch Kingsgalive and Brotherhood) to develop an opinion, because I think XV is the best game in series. Though I have called 5, 6, 9, and 10, all the best, so people have called my test questionable.

I actually consider XIII-3 the best of the three games. It's not the games are utterly bad persay, but to me, a lot of it is asspulling of s story and kind of lost potential. And also trying to bring forth a secondary Cloud in Lightning. I know Lightning is not Cloud but she might as well be him. In XIII-2 Serah might as well be Kairi. While it works as good set-up for XIII-3, it isn't the best at making teh characters likeable. And at teh end of of it,  Serah is just as dead as she might as well have been in XIII.

I think XIII as whole should've been drafted better, and maybe they should've went with their original ideas. And pay attention to characters other than Lightning.

13 minutes ago, Melodichard said:

I'm trying to finish World of Final Fantasy before starting FFXV :emma: Excited!

I can't seem to find it in stores.

My brother preordered two copies. one for himself and one for me. I am so grateful and excited!

melodichard
24 minutes ago, Seeka said:

I can't seem to find it in stores.

My brother preordered two copies. one for himself and one for me. I am so grateful and excited!

I really love it so far, it might be one of my favorites by the time I'm all done! Tons of references to the classics, and the turn based game style is awesome. 

Archived