Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
game

The State of The Japanese Gaming Industry

Seeka

Featured Posts

Seeka

This may be a little old, but I think it's relevant. It makes a lot of points that i think are important and kind of help understand what is different and why some game companies do what they do.

The State of the Japanese Gaming Industry

Some Quotes from the article:

"Japan has historically suffered from an economic and cultural bubble.  Many call this the “Galapagos syndrome” and I think the title is appropriate.  In essence, what works and evolves in Japan is often not what works in the rest of the world.  Japanese cell phone culture/technology, the mini disk, smart toilets and a slew of other “Japanese gadgets” exist and thrive in Japan, and only Japan."

"But more importantly, springing from the Galapagos syndrome the average Japanese gamer has changed from their international counterparts.  In my eight years living in Japan I have been surprised at the lack of adult gamers in the traditional sense of the console/PC gamer.  Outside of Tokyo’s famous Akihabara district, computer gaming is a novelty reserved for the hardcore nerd and no one else. "

"Well simply, Japanese children don’t game like the west.  The console market and the PC market are not exactly dead, but Japanese children don’t go over to each other’s to play the next Call of Duty on a home console because they simply don’t have a home console, can’t use the TV because their parents are using it or simply don’t have enough time at home to sit down and play a video game.  Instead, you can go anywhere in Japan, a subway station, a convenience store, a park or any other place young people can gather and see several kids all hurdled around each other playing a portable game system with each other.  My local park outside my apartment has more children hurdled around the park bench playing their 3DS’ than children playing on the swing set for example.

Sure, the 3DS and to some extent Sony’s PSP and PS Vita have had some success in the west.  But the market penetration and the difference between Japanese perceptions of the handheld market are vastly different than their western counterparts."

"In short, most of Nintendo’s current strategy with the wii U and 3DS makes sense when viewed through the Japanese lens.  The ability to add miis, from people you pass on the train, share puzzle pieces and start an ad hoc wifi game with people around you fits perfectly into the current Japanese landscape of gaming.  I look at the 3DS, and think back to my days growing up in Middle America and wonder if I would ever use any of those features.  If I wanted to game with friends, I either had to have my parents drive me to a friend’s house or connect with them on the internet.  In Japan, a game with strangers or with friends is just a train ride, and daily work commute away.  The Wii U’s ability to play any wii U game on the game pad also highlights the difference between the West and Japan.  In Japan if mom and dad come home and want to watch the latest variety show, you can simply move your game from the big screen to the game pad and continue playing, while most western gamers would have a separate TV in another room to switch to.  "

Your thoughts? Just something for the gamers to think about, and why the Wii U was probably a failure in the West but may have sold in the East.

I would like to remind you there are many other differences in Japanese gaming, like their value (I honestly found this article while looking at the "Americans Hate Tingle" trope page).

Sizzily

Its interesting that handhelds are more popular there. Apparently not enough to save the Vita tho :air: 

One Banned Boi

Pacify Him

RIP Silent Hills 

I fully understand it now

I’m getting on your nerves

JustinTrudeau

omg I feel stupid cause this totally makes sense now. 

my only wish is that I could read Japanese so I can play their games that are not released in NA :grr:

I fell down the stairs once as an actor.

ItsTommyBitch
21 minutes ago, ZarinStar said:

my only wish is that I could read Japanese so I can play their games that are not released in NA :grr:

Learning to read Hiragana, Katakana, and basic Kanji is enough for many games, I import and play J-RPGs all of the time :emma: Most menus, actions, commands, etc. are in Kata these days. It's mostly an issue of story at that point, like how much you care. I understand most of the story and just compare notes with other japanese-learners or speakers that have played or are playing the game.

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

JustinTrudeau
5 minutes ago, ItsVenusBitch said:

Learning to read Hiragana, Katakana, and basic Kanji is enough for many games, I import and play J-RPGs all of the time :emma: Most menus, actions, commands, etc. are in Kata these days. It's mostly an issue of story at that point, like how much you care. I understand most of the story and just compare notes with other japanese-learners or speakers that have played or are playing the game.

Hmm do you recommend any games?

I fell down the stairs once as an actor.

Seeka
39 minutes ago, Sizzily said:

Its interesting that handhelds are more popular there. Apparently not enough to save the Vita tho :air: 

I think any handheld released would be immediately murdered by Nintendo. Nintendo may be awful in other areas, but they had the handheld market murdered for a while. Not to mention with phones and everything also being gaming devices, and the PSV trying to do everything a phone does, minus making calls and texts, I think the PSV was kind of doomed. But I have a PSP emu and many games on it were good, though I think Sony probably needs more games that don't come with cheesy anime openings and are made by people no one knows. I'm saying that, playing and enjoying these games.

34 minutes ago, VenusAsABoy said:

RIP Silent Hills 

I fully understand it now

Yes. I just read that in the TVTropes thing i just read. Apparently Konami ha riled so many feathers, those unknown to it would think they caused an act of terrorism.

31 minutes ago, ZarinStar said:

There are many people who are translating and doing similar things. There are many games that are available now because they have been translated by others. Though you need an emulator to play them.

Seeka

I just read that depending on the release of a few games over the next few years, console gaming may end in Japan.

From TVtropes, though I'm sure there's something official somewhere...

"Similarly, the director of Final Fantasy XV, Hajime Tabata, citing the aforementioned reasons, has said that whether or not Final Fantasy XV is successful after its release could signal the end of console gaming in Japan."

ItsTommyBitch
4 minutes ago, ZarinStar said:

Hmm do you recommend any games?

Guess it depends on what games you are interested in :emma: I like, exclusively devote my time to J-RPGs, there aren't any other Japanese games im interested in importing. The Tales of series, Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Persona, Fire Emblem, Star Ocean, and Atelier are some of my favs.

Ni no Kuni is really good too :emma:  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_role-playing_game_franchises

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

• 4 months later...

Archived