Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Annabelle: Reviewed by Prometheus (10/03) [POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Prometheus

Featured Posts

Prometheus

PLOT:

John Form has found the perfect gift for his expectant wife, Mia - a beautiful, rare vintage doll in a pure white wedding dress. But Mia's delight with Annabelle doesn't last long. On one horrific night, their home is invaded by members of a satanic cult, who violently attack the couple. Spilled blood and terror are not all they leave behind. The cultists have conjured an entity so malevolent that nothing they did will compare to the sinister conduit to the damned that is now... Annabelle.

RELEASE:

October 3, 2014 (USA)

REVIEW:

When I saw that they were making a prequel to the film "The Conjuring" I was beyond excited. "The Conjuring" had beautiful cinematography, a well-written script, and phenomenal actors. Not to mention, the writers actually wrote paranormal activity in a more realistic sense (well, as realistic as you can get with ghosts, demons, possession, etc.). I had very high expectations for "Annabelle" and I wasn't really let down.

The film starts off with a familiar scene from "The Conjuring" where a few nurses are talking about how they acquired the titular doll and the strange occurrences that seemed to surround Annabelle. Of course if you watched the first film you already know that Annabelle wasn't possessed by a little girl named Annabelle Higgins. No, this precursor to the Chuckie doll was actually acting as a conduit for a demon. Oh, boy. Things are never simple in horror movies, are they?

The movie then takes us to where it all began. A year prior to the nurses, Annabelle was a simple (yet honestly nerve-tinging) doll, given as a gift from John to his pregnant wife Mia (who apparently has a thing for collecting creepy dolls *cue blonde doll laughter*). The movie doesn't really beat around the bush. Within the first 15 minutes we see bloodshed, AND we see who really becomes attached to the doll (I'll leave that bit out).

John and Mia try to return to normalcy following the attack, but strange happenings begin almost immediately after they walk through the front door. I will leave the rest sealed behind my lips because I don't want to give too much away.

So, was it worth the $9.50 ticket? In my opinion, yes. Is that a strong yes? Meh. If you feel like seeing a pretty good scary movie with a friend this weekend I would definitely recommend "Annabelle." The cinematography is still well-done and the acting is flawless. Granted, there are some moments of, "Wow... that's really cliche!" What I was most upset with is that Annabelle acts more like an anchor than a tool for malevolence (which makes sense seeing how the doll is a conduit). However, it seems like Annabelle the doll was thrown to the wayside even though she is the titular doll.

The only times we ever see Annabelle are static (except for one horrific scene, but even her movement then is simplistic). What really sets "Annabelle" apart from "The Conjuring" is one vital element: the demon. I'm sorry to ruin it, but, yes, a demon is involved and HOLY SHIT GUYS IS IT TERRIFYING! The CGI was so well-done I can still see the demon in my mind. The way it f--king stared at her while crouching on the stairs... wow. I live upstairs and I am afraid to even glance down. That's how I know a horror movie is good: it makes me afraid post-viewing.

However, there was a noticeable similarity between "Annabelle" and "The Conjuring," and that was the mother-child dynamic. It seems as though the writers were a little too rushed to get the prequel out to create a different relationship. A mother saving her children seems to be a favorite motif among the writers of the films. However, the similarity isn't TOO great. Nonetheless, it is noticeable.

All and all, "Annabelle" will definitely make you jump in your seats and keep you from glancing down the stairs at night. Regardless of its minor reductive moments, handful of horror movie cliches, and some pacing issues, the film definitely makes up for it with great acting, a well-written script, and true horror.

RATING:

7/10

P.S. The demon is a total f--king troll with elevators. That's all I'll say.

Prometheus

it's still a good movie review tho :hug:

Thanks! :hug: I didn't want to give too much away. It's pretty good, minus the cliches. 

Cas Winchester

Not sure if should watch it now. Seems... boring. I'll wait till it's up on uTorrent.

Prometheus

Not sure if should watch it now. Seems... boring. I'll wait till it's up on uTorrent.

If you enjoyed "The Conjuring" I highly suggest it. It just depends on where you stand with horror, especially this type.

I'm trying SO hard not to read. I don't wanna spoil myself :giveup:

I didn't spoil much! I promise what I mention is vague and/or not uber important. :)

Cas Winchester

If you enjoyed "The Conjuring" I highly suggest it. It just depends on where you stand with horror, especially this type.

I didn't spoil much! I promise what I mention is vague and/or not uber important. :)

I love the conjuring and horror movies in general. I think I'll torrent it though as soon as it's available. Nice review btw!

RAMROD

Good job, Prom! :applause:

Also,

Here is the major spoiler:

Watch it on cinema near you. :evil:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

I only read the last parts of your review to see if the movie is scray, I didn't want to see the spoilers and thank god I didn't :laughga:

Thanks for the review I'm so excited for the movie it starts on 10/09 here

Prometheus

I love the conjuring and horror movies in general. I think I'll torrent it though as soon as it's available. Nice review btw!

Thanks!

Good job, Prom! :applause:

Also,

Here is the major spoiler:

Watch it on cinema near you. :evil:

:rip:

I only read the last parts of your review to see if the movie is scray, I didn't want to see the spoilers and thank god I didn't :laughga:

Thanks for the review I'm so excited for the movie it starts on 10/09 here

I'm glad I helped you out! It'll certainly scare you!

RAMROD

Thanks!

:rip:

I'm glad I helped you out! It'll certainly scare you!

So, will you watch for 2nd time if someone ask you out? :fan:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

LoyalMonster

I suggest googling Annabelle doll and read the first link that pops up on the New England Society for Psychic Research.Creepy stuff and its based on real life events.

Archived