Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th

Why do radio stations shy away from playing Gaga's songs?

Shadow

Featured Posts

Shadow

How do people think Aura would have done better? :toofunny:

The verses in Applause already had the GP on the fence, so "gorgeousness of my face" would have had people mocking her.

I think the beginning would have been cut for radio, so there goes that flair.

She would have gotten backlash for the burqa part.

The ONLY part of Aura that would have sit well with the GP is the chorus and she cannot rely on just a chorus to save her chart position again. :lana: Just because it's a fan favorite doesn't mean it is a good choice.

Do people really expect pushovers to make it to radio? Maybe artists have to make songs that stroke a listeners' ego like Lorde's Team and Royals, Pharrell's Happy, Monster by Enimem and Rihanna?

🖤 𖤓 ♠︎

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SpadesToStart

Why do radio stations, at least most of them shy away from playing Gaga's songs? Does it come down to low sales, reception, or bias? All of the above?

What was it about Applause that faired better than other songs in radio rotation?

I think programming directors are cowards who don't want to take risks or try anything new. Applause didn't really get noticeable radio support until like 6 weeks into it's run. I remember b---hing about how it's bs that a song that had been in the top 5 of the hot 100 for weeks still wasn't even in the top 20 of radio play. The top 40 station in Minneapolis didn't even start playing applause regularly until late 2013, but as of now it's still in their top 20 songs. Basically, radio doesn't like to play Gaga until they are sure people like the song, which unfortunately can take months.

Let's not act like this is something that's been happening forever. Applause became her biggest radio hit, and Do What U Want did really well on radio. The only song they're not playing is G.U.Y, and it's most likely due to a combination of it's lack of sales, late radio release after hype had died down, and spam requests from fans.

The only other two songs that weren't all over radio were Judas and MTN, and I'm sure we all completely understand why they didn't want to Play Judas during the Easter season. The only song they've really ignored for no reason was MTN. Radio normally loves Gaga.

tokyodisko

What do you consider Top 40 material these days? Is it going back to alternative with a few exceptions?

I somewhat think so. I mean, Dark Horse is obviously not alt, but I do think it is heading that way- more toward an alt and indie scene- obviously folk got huge. I don't think it will last long, maybe six months to a year before some new trend. Look how long the retro sound came and is slowly dying out on the radio, also with a few exceptions. 

It's kind of like Bangerz- some of that already sounds dated, because of the quick trend changes.

I think alt and rnb are making a comeback. I think an alt blues rock thing will probably even step in somewhere. DWUW would have done well if she had a video and did NOT feature R.Kelly for the radio edit. 

I'm surprised she did, because he had an album coming out, so the backlash should have been predicted.

I was hoping ARTPOP would have been a dark disco dance rock album, like post-RaB, pre-Fame, because 

A) I love that sound with her and her lyrics were on point!  :worship:

B) The disco vibes on the radio would have been a nice set up, especially since her feel was a little s-xier. It would have been just different enough to be Gaga, but also trendy enough to land her on or near the top. Especially if she became a s-x icon again for that era. She really will have to do some give and take with her sound and lyrics if she wants to stay on top. 

Shadow

I somewhat think so. I mean, Dark Horse is obviously not alt, but I do think it is heading that way- more toward an alt and indie scene- obviously folk got huge. I don't think it will last long, maybe six months to a year before some new trend. Look how long the retro sound came and is slowly dying out on the radio, also with a few exceptions.

It's kind of like Bangerz- some of that already sounds dated, because of the quick trend changes.

I think alt and rnb are making a comeback. I think an alt blues rock thing will probably even step in somewhere. DWUW would have done well if she had a video and did NOT feature R.Kelly for the radio edit.

I'm surprised she did, because he had an album coming out, so the backlash should have been predicted.

I was hoping ARTPOP would have been a dark disco dance rock album, like post-RaB, pre-Fame, because

A) I love that sound with her and her lyrics were on point! :worship:

B) The disco vibes on the radio would have been a nice set up, especially since her feel was a little s-xier. It would have been just different enough to be Gaga, but also trendy enough to land her on or near the top. Especially if she became a s-x icon again for that era. She really will have to do some give and take with her sound and lyrics if she wants to stay on top.

Oh, I definitely agree about the dark, disco dance rock album part, that would be awesome from her, because I think it demonstrates the type of music she does very well with her voice, style, and mannerisms. I think what she did at SXSW as a jazzy rock version of Bad Romance and other singles, even the sound of her music at Roseland sounded very pop rockish, so I'm hoping she goes that direction. I'm also curious how Cheek to Cheek will sound like.

I think the folk and alternative sounds may stick around for a while, since so many bands have come out with that sound and may maintain that trend. Even Lorde is sort of alternative in her sound, hence her big popularity, she's even played on rock stations here due to the sound.

🖤 𖤓 ♠︎

tokyodisko

Do people really expect pushovers to make it to radio? Maybe artists have to make songs that stroke a listeners' ego like Lorde's Team and Royals, Pharrell's Happy, Monster by Enimem and Rihanna?

hahaha Well no, but Happy is feeling and says nothing about ego, just a state of being. Monster is Eminem and Rihanna regurgitating LTWYL, so enough said. *eyeroll* I think they sound "good" together, but it's boring. 

Team is more relatable and it is that indie/alt/hipster thing, plus she had a huge hit with Royals, so she got to release anything as long as it was catchy. I personally think she seems like she has an attitude, but I doubt she will be huge in another year. She seems very specific to one sound and not very versatile.

Also about Team and Royals- people like teen angst sometimes. 

So yeah, I think the listener's ego definitely needs to be petted for acceptance, even love songs and such aren't quite as common. 

Look at Dark Horse, that's basically saying "fall for me, because I'm hot, but I will fxck your **** up". lol

People don't want to hear about someone seemingly feeding their own ego very often. It was misunderstood that Gaga wanted the literal applause and not the listener.  

tokyodisko

I think programming directors are cowards who don't want to take risks or try anything new.

Well it is their job to not be very risky tbh. They have to play what they know will be easy for listeners. 

Let's not act like this is something that's been happening forever. Applause became her biggest radio hit, and Do What U Want did really well on radio. The only song they're not playing is G.U.Y, and it's most likely due to a combination of it's lack of sales, late radio release after hype had died down, and spam requests from fans.

This is sooooooo true!

Oh, I definitely agree about the dark, disco dance rock album part, that would be awesome from her, because I think it demonstrates the type of music she does very well with her voice, style, and mannerisms. I think what she did at SXSW as a jazzy rock version of Bad Romance and other singles, even the sound of her music at Roseland sounded very pop rockish, so I'm hoping she goes that direction. I'm also curious how Cheek to Cheek will sound like.

I think the folk and alternative sounds may stick around for a while, since so many bands have come out with that sound and may maintain that trend. Even Lorde is sort of alternative in her sound, hence her big popularity, she's even played on rock stations here due to the sound.

It as definitely where she knows best about what she is doing as an artist and such. If she had released a song like Rockshow in August I think she would have been praised like crazy, because it's so new to the GP and unexpected. I think she tried to go very mainstream with AP, but over corrected with the lyrics and it just became disjointed on a lot of it imo. 

I think she jumped on the EDM train just a little too late with ARTPOP. It could have worked, but it would have had to all been planned better even before announcing the album. 

Oooh, I did not like BR at SXSW. lol I liked the idea, but she just seemed like a mess at that show imo. Vocals and everything. I do like when she dabbles with other sounds. Teeth has actually been played at a few clubs I've been to, so not saying a whole album of that, but definitely more of an edge could help. I think if she released a song like Speechless now it would do great. Dope is good, but the subject matter isn't one I think a lot of people would be keen on. 

I think pop rock dance is a good direction, but that also scares me, because I loooooooooved MANiCURE at SF, but then on the album I was not feeling it at all, it wasn't as raw or classically Gaga. 

I personally hope the trend fades fast, but it's hard to tell. I don't think music can stick around as long nowadays. So many artists are doing that sound and now it's probably at or near the peak. Over-saturating the music scene can sometimes kill a sound so quickly. I think the current trends are also why Shakira isn't doing too well either. CRTFY is a good pop song, but not at all what people want. Empire might do better since it is that kind of sound that is in, but still might be too experimental with parts. 

Katy is just an exception since her marketing team is on the go all the time. She can release pretty much anything and maintain her position. Unconditionally "failed" and boom! Dark Horse. No dwelling like Gaga did with DWUW. 

CTC will probably be great! Not banking on it to make her number one, but it will probably be good pr. 

tokyodisko

I don't like that she changes her wig daily. Back during TF/TFM it was changing but it was the same color/style .

TF - Blonde and Bangs, all lengths

TFM - Blonde/Yellow and no bangs, longer

Now with AP it's changing everyday, seashell, short BN hair, TF JD wig, Marilyn Wig, Wavy wig w/bangs, green wig, dreads.

I totally agree. She doesn't even need to change it up a ton. She needs that visual link between most of her looks, so that people aren't like "just stop, Gaga". 

It's not like she needs to do all of them this era. There is not wig shortage, they're not going out of style, so she should just pull back and pace herself, like a lot of other large, older artists have said. She tries to be and do too much at one time. It's a struggle a lot of creative people have, but she needs to reign it in a little if she wants to secure her fanbase and pop queen status. Her team should really try to help her with that. I think she will be more receptive now that she seems like she is out of her "don't ever criticise anything" phase and depression. She seems very mentally well now. 

Shadow

Well it is their job to not be very risky tbh. They have to play what they know will be easy for listeners. 

This is sooooooo true!

It as definitely where she knows best about what she is doing as an artist and such. If she had released a song like Rockshow in August I think she would have been praised like crazy, because it's so new to the GP and unexpected. I think she tried to go very mainstream with AP, but over corrected with the lyrics and it just became disjointed on a lot of it imo. 

I think she jumped on the EDM train just a little too late with ARTPOP. It could have worked, but it would have had to all been planned better even before announcing the album. 

Oooh, I did not like BR at SXSW. lol I liked the idea, but she just seemed like a mess at that show imo. Vocals and everything. I do like when she dabbles with other sounds. Teeth has actually been played at a few clubs I've been to, so not saying a whole album of that, but definitely more of an edge could help. I think if she released a song like Speechless now it would do great. Dope is good, but the subject matter isn't one I think a lot of people would be keen on. 

I think pop rock dance is a good direction, but that also scares me, because I loooooooooved MANiCURE at SF, but then on the album I was not feeling it at all, it wasn't as raw or classically Gaga. 

I personally hope the trend fades fast, but it's hard to tell. I don't think music can stick around as long nowadays. So many artists are doing that sound and now it's probably at or near the peak. Over-saturating the music scene can sometimes kill a sound so quickly. I think the current trends are also why Shakira isn't doing too well either. CRTFY is a good pop song, but not at all what people want. Empire might do better since it is that kind of sound that is in, but still might be too experimental with parts. 

Katy is just an exception since her marketing team is on the go all the time. She can release pretty much anything and maintain her position. Unconditionally "failed" and boom! Dark Horse. No dwelling like Gaga did with DWUW. 

CTC will probably be great! Not banking on it to make her number one, but it will probably be good pr.

Yes, I'd love a Rockshow song from her, I love that song!

I don't know, I thought her jazz rock at SXSW was edgy, but gritty in that raw spirit. Yeah, it got messy in parts, but she went all the way, or at least showed she was willing to take big risks for her work. Perhaps a balance between Rock Show and what she was doing at Swine Fest and Roseland would work.

Also, she needs more support from Interscope, I know they "got her back" but they could learn from the marketing team Katy has even if Gaga goes for a different audience with her sound, even if she's not trying to be an artist like Katy. Wouldn't she like to portray an image of herself as correctly to the public as possible? Who gives a rat's ass about cruddy media or critics that will never appreciate her anyway.

I think it is more important for those on the fence or those who haven't heard or seen what she's about to potentially like her and her music. How can people make that decision without them being exposed enough? I'm sure we all had assumptions about Gaga when we first saw her, but it was something she did later or things we may not have been aware of at first impression that might have changed our minds or see her in a different light.

🖤 𖤓 ♠︎

Too much talk about s-x and other mature topics.

Applause was not explicit and it sounded good on radio. That's why it got so much exposure.

It's not an excuse. Her music doesn't fit in with the stuff they're playing. I listen to the pop station when I'm driving and everything seems to fit into a certain structure and Gaga's music doesn't. 

Gaga has become her own separate branch because of her relationship with fans and her touring force. She can sustain her own career without the radio playing her music.

We go through this with every single since Alejandro.

She's a "flop" and a "has been" until the touring numbers come out.

Touring earns a lot more money than selling a bunch of $1.29 singles

Gaga's music fits perfectly with what radio is playing, it's jus that the radios don't want to play GUY because there's no interest from the GP. ARTPOP is as mainstream as PRISM. Born This Way, TEOG and Applause were successful and radios loved those songs because there was an interest from the GP.

Of course touring gives you more money, but who wants to go see an artist that hasn't had a hit or an important presence in the music industry since late 2013? Gaga's touring power is not as big as it was during her BTW era where she had the GP interested.

tokyodisko

Yes, I'd love a Rockshow song from her, I love that song!

I don't know, I thought her jazz rock at SXSW was edgy, but gritty in that raw spirit. Yeah, it got messy in parts, but she went all the way, or at least showed she was willing to take big risks for her work. Perhaps a balance between Rock Show and what she was doing at Swine Fest and Roseland would work.

Also, she needs more support from Interscope, I know they "got her back" but they could learn from the marketing team Katy has even if Gaga goes for a different audience with her sound, even if she's not trying to be an artist like Katy. Wouldn't she like to portray an image of herself as correctly to the public as possible? Who gives a rat's ass about cruddy media or critics that will never appreciate her anyway.

I think it is more important for those on the fence or those who haven't heard or seen what she's about to potentially like her and her music. How can people make that decision without them being exposed enough? I'm sure we all had assumptions about Gaga when we first saw her, but it was something she did later or things we may not have been aware of at first impression that might have changed our minds or see her in a different light.

It's really one of her best songs imo, but not everyone knows about it. 

I thought BR at SXSW was a good sound on second listen, but I still think it was a mess. I think she does that sound well though- it was a lot like YuYi, which is one of my absolute favorites from her. If Gaga did a jazz/country/rock/blues album I think it would be great, but she would piss off a lot of fans.  I don't really care what genres she does as long as the music is really good. The reason I don't like some of AP is because I feel like half of the album isn't "Gaga" and lost personality. She would have to turn down her random looks though. I don't think it would work with country well. I would love Gaga to do a stripped down visually album. Just looking normal and like herself without being forced like it was in SF where she only did it bc she thought that is what people would want. 

I agree that she needs MAJOR image work, even if she doesn't want to be top 10, she needs to work on saving her reputation. I don't think that is Interscope's fault though, because I'm sure they would love for that more than Gaga would. I think it's Gaga's decision of who is on her team and she really needs to reexamine, because whoever is helping her now is doing a terrible job on so many levels, if there even is anyone helping her. So I think Interscope should sometimes be a little more strict with Gaga, not for he charts necessarily, but all around, because she could have not sold well, but still made good headlines instead of the negative ones. 

I disagree about people being on the fence about her needing to hear her. I think those who will like her already like her. Most people know she is talented, even if they don't like her music. Only the ignorant assholes who don't pay attention will say she has no talent, and honestly that will never change in mass. She just needs to focus on her fans and a little on the GP. She should stay in her strongest areas of music, because it'll be better all around. The BTW album would have done even better imo if she hadn't been so off-putting visually. She tried to do too much outside of her music videos and music that makes GP annoyed. She's always been weird, but there is a line she needs to be aware of in order for her to be where she wants to be musically and successfully. 

geopang

its quite simple, pop radio is pathetic, theyre scared, ARTPOP isnt even risky and theyre scared. pop music is a ****in joke.

Archived