Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner

General Charts Discussion - list of artists w/ most #1 hits

Mills

Featured Posts

Mariano

This time has a lot be praised and there are still artists to be praised but the power and freedom of the internet came with a big prise, quantity instead of quality. Our age is supporting technology, democracy, education but it can't support music because music is not about equality. Sometimes you can't put a genious with 4 idiots and give them to the masses to choose the best one because its a crime.

I ****ing studied a bit history of the music industry and I can tell u that in the 80s there were the SAME LABELS "manufacturing" the same One Hit Wonders that could only sell 1 SONG on a vinyl instead of a whole body of work.  I studied that after awhile that thing kind of "died down" (90s)  and then started again.  And how can u tell me how great was the music back then when we only know the GREATEST artists of that time and they are not a representation of what the music industry as a whole was back then.  It's like saying that Lady Gaga is a representation of what the music industry is now (aka Katy, Kesha, Miley and so on)

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
VforVendetta

I ****ing studied a bit history of the music industry and I can tell u that in the 80s there were the SAME LABELS "manufacturing" the same One Hit Wonders that could only sell 1 SONG on a vinyl instead of a whole body of work. I studied that after awhile that thing kind of "died down" (90s) and then started again. And how can u tell me how great was the music back then when we only know the GREATEST artists of that time and they are not a representation of what the music industry as a whole was back then. It's like saying that Lady Gaga is a representation of what the music industry is now (aka Katy, Kesha, Miley and so on)

First of all I didn't say that labels didn't exist, they always existed and always tried to control the artists for the money. One hit wonders always existed and always will. One hit wonders don't have always bad quality music anyway, there are many reasons that someone can have only one hit. As for thea labels, actually I think most artists were much more controlled by their labels back then than they are today. Its not about that. It's about music quality, its about morals. Its about what are you gonna sing about, what do you wanna give to music, what are your goals and what is your vision. Also of course there was bad music also back then but it was much less and it was getting much less attention, not becasue the masses were superior then than today but because the quality music was much more. Today you need to search a lot for quality music, back then you could just pick a vinyl and you had a lot of chances to choose quality, more or less.

joseanto1997

Almost 39 million views! WATCH WATCH WATCH! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNu_-deVemE

Mariano

First of all I didn't say that labels didn't exist, they always existed and always tried to control the artists for the money. One hit wonders always existed and always will. One hit wonders don't have always bad quality music anyway, there are many reasons that someone can have only one hit. As for thea labels, actually I think most artists were much more controlled by their labels back then than they are today. Its not about that. It's about music quality, its about morals. Its about what are you gonna sing about, what do you wanna give to music, what are your goals and what is your vision. Also of course there was bad music also back then but it was much less and it was getting much less attention, not becasue the masses were superior then than today but because the quality music was much more. Today you need to search a lot for quality music, back then you could just pick a vinyl and you had a lot of chances to choose quality, more or less.

That's bull**** and you know it :giveup:  Can u even name 30 artists that were active in the 70s or 80s ? :giveup:  You only know the ones that left a mark (which mean they were most likely worthy of remembering)

Pure Adrenaline

Nicki minaj is a sell out but she is no plastic.  

tell that to her ass :lana:

and her boobs

:oops:

It's much more fun to have hizophrenia... u never get lonely

Mariano

tell that to her ass :lana:

and her boobs 

I was not talking about the literal meaning of the word :oops:

VforVendetta

That's bull**** and you know it :giveup: Can u even name 30 artists that were active in the 70s or 80s ? :giveup: You only know the ones that left a mark (which mean they were most likely worthy of remembering)

We have definitely heard songs of that times of artists that weren't that famous and yes I know many artists. Idk if they are 20, 30 or 40 but I know many. It's about what the age was radiating, you don't need to even listen to many songs to understand it. There are many overrated artists of these ages imo, but its not about that. The decay in our age is obvious from 10 miles away. Just look at the ratio of worthy-unworthy artists. I don't like to be pessimistic and say that our age has nothing to give musically because its a lie but the ones that have something to give are much less than they were back then becasue there are much more trash today that are drowning them.

It should be noted that I am refering mainly before the 80s (50s - 70s)

(I like high-level convos tbh. :nick:)

Mariano

We have definitely heard songs of that times of artists that weren't that famous and yes I know many artists. Idk if they are 20, 30 or 40 but I know many. It's about what the age was radiating, you don't need to even listen to many songs to understand it. There are many overrated artists of these ages imo, but its not about that. The decay in our age is obvious from 10 miles away. Just look at the ratio of worthy-unworthy artists. I don't like to be pessimistic and say that our age has nothing to give musically because its a lie but the ones that have something to give are much less than they were back then becasue there are much more trash today that are drowning them.

(I like high-level convos tbh. :nick:)

In the past not many people had the chance to become artists. Therefore there were less "unworthy people" but that also goes for the other part - less worthy people AS WELL.

Now there are more worthy people and also more unworthy people.  That's the only truth here hun :nick:

Whispering

I love love FANCY and I Love Problem, but I can't find much appeal in Iggy as an artist / rapper .. :ohno:  I am not seeing her smashing like Nicki ...  These 2 songs will be huge but ..  Nicki's voice is so unique and her attitued is kind of cool... she kinda ruined it with these pop releases and too many collabs but still ..

So far, for me, the best part of these two singles are more about the song itself (melody, hook, vocal part, instrumentation, production) than about the rap part. Iggy's part does add to the songs, though, but imo that's not the primary part of making these songs big hits.

I don't really care too much for Nicki, but she had tremendous support from the Urban/Hip Hop communities. I'm not really sure if Iggy is going to get that kind of support. I could see her becoming the rap girl that all the "white girls like" and that could have some backlash in certain markets that support Rap music and with certain demographics that normally buy Rap albums.

Would one advantage outweigh the other? :shrug: Time will tell.

VforVendetta

In the past not many people had the chance to become artists. Therefore there were less "unworthy people" but that also goes for the other part - less worthy people AS WELL.

Now there are more worthy people and also more unworthy people. That's the only truth here hun :nick:

Yes but the worthy were much less than the unworthy because back then you couldn't become a household name of you weren't a big talent, you didn't have the chance.

Today there are many worthy artists but there even more unworthy because everyone has a chance. Even my granny can claim that she is a singer. :nick: Anyway back then it helped a lot that people had more things to sing about, wars, unequality, revolution, education. Today, as the wise Gagz said all we care about is ****ographic girls on film and body plastic. A few people dare to sing than for something else than partying and care to find different new concepts. To be fair though, the movements back then were that strong that people didn't need to try a lot to find an amazing concept to sing for, the air had the taste of revolution, today these things are solved. Still, as Gaga has proved with all her albums (and many others), there are still things worth singing for, you only need to care and find them.

:kissga:

Whispering

2 Iggy Azalea - Fancy (feat. Charli XCX) 0.6281 0.5985

3 Pharrell Williams - Happy (From "Despicable Me 2") 0.4998 0.4745

Problem starting to fall faster :noparty:

Problem doesn't have enough radio play (Yet ;) ) to keep it at number one for long periods of time. It will get there!

Mariano

My new prediction for Problem is 380k :nick:  I hope it's not too high :rip:  I think It may even reach 400k :giveup: 3rd or 4th day at number 1 and 3 full days with 50% or bigger lead (compared to the number 2)

VforVendetta

Aus

143. Lady Gaga - Applause (+2)

In about 2-3 hours its morning in Aus. I wonder if Applause will rise or maintain its position for some time.

VforVendetta

My new prediction for Problem is 380k :nick: I hope it's not too high :rip: I think It may even reach 400k :giveup: 3rd or 4th day at number 1 and 3 full days with 50% or bigger lead (compared to the number 2)

I think 400K is possible at this point. :rip:

Archived