πŸ’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA πŸ’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

G.U.Y. - An ARTPOP Film/Single Discussion Topic (Views: 42M)

SMILE2NE1

Featured Posts

lairofhk

I'm kind of confused about why only like 40 seconds of Venus were included...it was kind of awkward and honestly the video could have done without it...same with ARTPOP, they should have just done the full songs, not snippets of them....it comes of as kind of lazy in my opinion. But I do like a lot of the visuals, the choreo is great, and she looks the s-xiest shes looked in a while. So thats all good.Β 

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Weasel

• GagaMyBlood95

• notamember

• SMILE2NE1

Omegahedron

Fourth time viewing, and here's my review

Β 

Act I: ARTPOP

The introduction is, for me, the real highlight of the video. It's flawlessly executed, with a real sincere narrative; art imitating life. I also love that Gaga is actually shown more as a phoenix, rather than an angel, having been shot down. I read this as a comment of her having been assassinated or sabotaged during her return following the cancellation of the Born This Way Ball. Gaga's performance in this part is perfect also.

Β 

The very best part of this section is that ARTPOP has been reworked to fit the scene. It is more like a film score, fitting the beats and emotional rises of the scene. The film and the music become intertwined and they give each other new meaning.

Β 

Act II: Venus

I imagined that I would have loved a video of Venus, and though its welcome to see it here, I am not sure that this really is what I might have wanted. Setting aside, the song doesn't fit well across the scene of an injured Gaga being regenerated and baptised. A euphoric voice singing about s-xual arousal is not really reflective of the urgency and drama of the situation. Unlike Act I, Venus here is simply draped over the scene, rather than being reworked to enhance the on-screen action.

Β 

Visually, this continues Act I as being both stunningly shot and designed. I think this might be her most beautiful film / video, aesthetically, to date. I do quite like the costumes and look of this world too, which treads the right line of being modern / avant guarde fashion and not being a ham-fisted parody of Greek fashion.

Β 

Act III: G.U.Y.

Looking at the story of the video (betrayal, rebirth, rejuvenation and revenge), I am not sure how G.U.Y. fits into this, being that it is mostly about s-xual relationships, and maintaining dignity or control through willing submissiveness. It fits in a bit more midway when we see Gaga lounging around with topless men and looking stunning, but drifts away again once the cloning / revenge comes in. The segue from Venus to G.U.Y. is also a little jarring, but it is wonderful to see the dejected injured Gaga leap forth in such a radiant outfit.

Β 

Andy Cohen as Himeros: I wish they would have had him as a real person on set, not a floating head. This is a very 'Christianised' depiction of a Greek god. The pantheon were more often depicted as human or animal figures occupying a very terrestrial landscape, not disembodied heads in the sky.

Β 

We see Jesus, Michael Jackson and Ghandi - but the fourth coffin (?) remains a mystery! Theories? I actually don't know what this part is meant to mean, or the G.U.Y. blood and cloning. Is this suggesting that Gaga would like to breed a new race of men that embody the characteristics of these three?

Β 

Aesthetics again are on top form. Gaga also looks beautiful, and the video makes best use of the stunning setting in the Hearst Castle, as well as the other sets.

Β 

Act IV: MANiCURE

I appreciate the noble sentiment of crediting all who worked to produce the film. Gaga has always been very honest about the fact she has a whole team of people behind her that help her produce her work - afterall an architect can't build a skyscraper alone.

But these credits really drag, and it is disappointing that there's nothing interesting about them. I am also not sure MANiCURE was the best choice. But minor points really . . . essentially the film ends at the 7/8 minute mark.

Β 

Overall, I have to say, the 'story' treads a rather similar path to Marry The Night, and is probably better executed at the start of the video than towards the end (mainly because lyrically, Venus and GUY are on a separate parallel message path to the visuals). The look of the video is amazing, and the choreography is also great. While I have outlined some of my niggles about the video, I do think it ranks up with her best work.

Mary Pain

Woowww Β she was SO BEAUTIFUL!! Β  and the video was entertaining Β (some parts were better than others, Β SMILE2NE1 interpretation was on point Β with what i thought) Β ... i seriously loved itΒ  :party:

Β 

Come on, G.U.Y slays us all !... and please Β let's stream ! Β 

Omegahedron

Thinking about where I would rank it in her videos / films, I am not sure.

Β 

I definitely rate these as higher, as they are more holistically satisfying:

- Telephone

- Bad Romance

- Born This Way

- Paparazzi

Β 

I think I also prefer Marry The Night, which narratively is very similar, but tells its story in a bit more of a satisfying manner. For visual flair though, I think GUY beats out MTN.

Dylangaga

The video is amazing tbh, not her top video buts its in the top 5. She looked so amazing during it and I love that she included ARTPOP and Venus, gives them that little bit more exposure even though Venus got a good bit of exposure in UK back in October. I need to see that dancing without all the quick different camera angles because it looks pretty amazing. Possibly one of Richie's best choreography since he's been with Gaga. The outfits were stunning aswell and didnt seem to out their for a video in that setting. Some of the shots seemed a bit too quick and choppy though, blink and you would miss it. I dont mind Andy Cohen and the Housewives being in the video, what makes me go "wtf get that out" the most is the random placement of her head on a minecraft/lego body. Its too random and doesn't really fit in with the video.Β 

Β 

8/10

gaga was using minecraft to resurrect MJ and the others

Woolfsmck

Right on ....Woolfsmck givevG.U.Y. Video 5 thumbs up.....8-)

like a cat in a sil, I observe life, moving and still. My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true

Β 

Act III: G.U.Y.

Looking at the story of the video (betrayal, rebirth, rejuvenation and revenge), I am not sure how G.U.Y. fits into this, being that it is mostly about s-xual relationships, and maintaining dignity or control through willing submissiveness. It fits in a bit more midway when we see Gaga lounging around with topless men and looking stunning, but drifts away again once the cloning / revenge comes in. The segue from Venus to G.U.Y. is also a little jarring, but it is wonderful to see the dejected injured Gaga leap forth in such a radiant outfit.

Β 

Β 

Β 

We see Jesus, Michael Jackson and Ghandi - but the fourth coffin (?) remains a mystery! Theories? I actually don't know what this part is meant to mean, or the G.U.Y. blood and cloning. Is this suggesting that Gaga would like to breed a new race of men that embody the characteristics of these three?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

This might not be correct, but I think she uses G.U.Y. while saying that although the "management" is above her and she, the artist, is under them, she is really in charge because she created them (the clones.)Β 

Also, I think the last coffin is John Lennon. He was betrayed by a fan when he was shot, and they listed the role in the credits next to Jesus, MJ, and Gandhi.Β 

:shrug:Β just my guesses

Dylangaga

seems to be spreading on tiwtter that it is at 10 million views - duno if this is true tho

thats def false...of course monsters hyping themselves up to be letdown