Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

ARTPOP Sales figures receipt for 2013!

Featured Posts

Yeah but look in the 2012 list, it's right next to the 2013 list.

There it says MDNA 1.7m. And I always thought MDNA sold 1.7m, so I am also pretty sure that the 2.3m for ARTPOP are sales as well, because it's the same list on the same document  :confused:

Shipments don't always have to be a lot higher than sales, if shipments are a lot higher than sales, it means that the album greatly underperformed. The label thinks how much the album will sell, and ships the albums to the stores (?). The shipments are always higher than the sales, but it can differ a lot.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again it clearly states SALES. If it was shipments I'm sure they'd say shipments.

where's JT & Beyonce's albums ??

These are Universal only. JT and Beyonce are with RCA and Columbia (=Sony)

Stores purchase albums at a discounted price due to the bulk shipments.

The money earned from those purchases is divided amongst the label and the team that created the song.

The 14.99 prices you see are store prices created to make them a profit or at least break even with the shipment. Inventory, however, does not convey to the sales that you see on Billboard. The sales you see are actual purchases made by customers purchasing from the seller (since they can't do it from the label directly, unless they go on Interscope's site). The Billboard/chart sales track actual consumer purchases, not the purchases of businesses or other private entities.

Thanks for the info.  It is interesting that the sales shown on Billboard are actual customer purchases, but from the standpoint of the artist and the label, they already made their money from the entire lot, even from the copies the stores couldn't sell.  In effect, Gaga sold those albums even if they are sitting on store shelves. 

For concert ticket sales, if a company buys up a large number of tickets, the show may be sold out even if that company couldn't sell all those tickets and there are plenty of empty seats.  Am I right?

I live outside the space time continuum.

Thanks for the info. It is interesting that the sales shown on Billboard are actual customer purchases, but from the standpoint of the artist and the label, they already made their money from the entire lot, even from the copies the stores couldn't sell. In effect, Gaga sold those albums even if they are sitting on store shelves.

For concert ticket sales, if a company buys up a large number of tickets, the show may be sold out even if that company couldn't sell all those tickets and there are plenty of empty seats.  Am I right?

Yes but Gaga's percentage is significantly less then, and each scan or digital purchase of an album is recorded, which is why you can have such accuracies like Billboard/Soundscan.

Obviously Interscope wants another TF-sized album, but we'll see how it goes since then both Gaga and Interscope get more money due to demand.

Concert tickets are done by reserve, but technically yes, they are still sold to the other vendors who mark up the price.

It sucks for the artists though, because they lose attendance and possible sales in merchandise.

CannaeDrive

These numbers are from the official Vivendi source, they obviously know what they are reporting about, so I'll take them as official receipts over any other random estimates or unofficial sites. Besides, as someone else noted, what's important is the fact that these numbers are calculated for each artists on that list in the same way, then it makes sense to take these numbers for comparison purposes between, say, Gaga, Kety or Ems. As for the other unofficial/random sources, what proof do we have they are as reliable as the official one?

"Fame Is A Boomerang" - Maria Callas

daviddarko

MDNA as of January 2013, had sold 1.9 million copies worldwide (sales, not shipments)

and Vivendi's report says  MDNA had sold 1,7 in 2012.

So, Lady Gaga - ARTPOP 2,3 million copies are sales, not shipments  :legend:

I soooooooo want to believe these numbers :giveup:

Didnt Universal also say TD sold 11 million sometime ago, i think they inflate the sales to make their acts seem more successful than they are

LADY GAGA/madonna/katy perry/little mix/ariana grande/selena gomez/britney spears/taylor swift

These numbers are from the official Vivendi source, they obviously know what they are reporting about, so I'll take them as official receipts over any other random estimates or unofficial sites. Besides, as someone else noted, what's important is the fact that these numbers are calculated for each artists on that list in the same way, then it makes sense to take these numbers for comparison purposes between, say, Gaga, Kety or Ems. As for the other unofficial/random sources, what proof do we have they are as reliable as the official one?

duh

vivendi owns interscope

thus the numbers are from credible as it's obviously in their interests to only publish what appear to be good numbers

Little7Monster

Yet there are still so many articles that accompanied this release stating ARTPOP was the reason UMG had a "bad" year. 

Yet there are still so many articles that accompanied this release stating ARTPOP was the reason UMG had a "bad" year.

Thats technically imposible :toofunny: the album sold over 1m in less than 2 months

If UMG really had a bad year i would blame Ellie Gouldings new record or Madonna's, and even in those cases it shouldnt be bad for UMG.

CannaeDrive

duh

vivendi owns interscope

thus the numbers are from credible as it's obviously in their interests to only publish what appear to be good numbers

Vivendi is a publicly traded company (VIV) on the stock market, and as such they must comply to strict regulations regarding information released to the public. They cannot afford to publish false information, besides they under close surveillance both by the press and public authorities.  

"Fame Is A Boomerang" - Maria Callas

Archived