is the comebjörk upon us?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. is it real little stonemilkers?

• MOMTHER BJÃ?RKSUS EMERGING FROM HA BLACK LAKE TO DROWN POP MUSIC IN FIRE
    • maybe i mean she's björk i'm sure vulnicura will do well
    • y isn't my fave on kworb smfh

Featured Posts

MikeyMoonShine

I have been edging on getting really into Bjork over the past few months, but I always find it really difficult to get into an artist that has such a large discography... I eventually decided to buy Homogenic because I LOVE Joga (I think it's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard) and Alarm Call, and I didn't regret it. Now I'm not sure what to do next :cry:

I love some of her other songs too, just haven't really checked out the albums. I watched Dancer In The Dark too and loved it.

Homogenic is considered by many to be her best album. It's kind of competing with Vespertine for that title I guess, I would vote with Vespertine personally but it's very close. 

As others have said you should probably listen to Vespertine or Post next. Post is more up beat electronic-pop where as Vespertine is more down beat kinda art rock/ experimental. 

Bjork music isn't always that easy to get fully into but once you do it's totally worth it. For me I listen to the standout tracks (singles and most popular songs on the album) first to get the feel of the album and then once I am used to them I try the rest more. 

Post standouts: Hyperballad (my fave Bjork song), Army Of Me, I Miss You, Possibly Maybe, Isobel and Headphones. Also "it's oh so quite" but it's very different to the rest of the album, I usually skip it just because it ruins the feel of the album for me. 

Vespertine standouts: Pagan Poetry, Cocoon, Unison, Hidden Place, It's Not Up To You and Aurora. 

Homogenic standouts: (if you haven't listened to it all yet) Joga, Hunter, All Is Full Of Love, Bachelorette, Unravel, Alarm Call and Pluto. 

After that I would listen to Debut. It sounds very dated but I think it's sort of a positive, It sort of sounds of it's time in a retro kinda way. 

Debut Standouts: Human Behavior, Venus As A Boy, Violently Happy, Play Dead, Like Someone In Love and Big Time Sensuality.

Where to go next is really a matter of taste.

there is Medulla which is her almost entirely a capella album with human voices instead of instruments. It's a bit too weird for some but I love it tbh. 

Medulla Standouts: Oceania, Who Is It, Triumph Of A Heart, Where Is The Line, Sonnets/Unrealities XI and Desired Constellation. 

Biophilia, her most recent app album (that inspired ARTPOP's app). This one is very experimental and it's not that melodic in general and relies more on the instrumentation to keep it interesting. 

Biophilia Standouts: Virus, Mutual Core, Moon, Sacrifice, Crystalline and Thunderbolt. Natturra from the deluxe is good too. 

Volta is probably her worst album but it is still a good album. It kinda tries to fuse new and old Bjork so it has allot of different styles on it. 

Volta Standouts: Wanderlust, Declare Independence, Vertebrae by Vertebrae, Earth Intruders and The Dull Flame Of Desire

There is also Selma Songs, which is a soundtrack album and there are some good remix and live albums that she has released. After you are used to the standouts try the full album and find out which songs you like better because it's different for everyone. The one's listed aren't necessarily my favorites although I love almost all of Bjorks music, so  :shrug:

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Harry

Homogenic is considered by many to be her best album. It's kind of competing with Vespertine for that title I guess, I would vote with Vespertine personally but it's very close. 

As others have said you should probably listen to Vespertine or Post next. Post is more up beat electronic-pop where as Vespertine is more down beat kinda art rock/ experimental. 

Bjork music isn't always that easy to get fully into but once you do it's totally worth it. For me I listen to the standout tracks (singles and most popular songs on the album) first to get the feel of the album and then once I am used to them I try the rest more. 

Post standouts: Hyperballad (my fave Bjork song), Army Of Me, I Miss You, Possibly Maybe, Isobel and Headphones. Also "it's oh so quite" but it's very different to the rest of the album, I usually skip it just because it ruins the feel of the album for me. 

Vespertine standouts: Pagan Poetry, Cocoon, Unison, Hidden Place, It's Not Up To You and Aurora. 

Homogenic standouts: (if you haven't listened to it all yet) Joga, Hunter, All Is Full Of Love, Bachelorette, Unravel, Alarm Call and Pluto. 

After that I would listen to Debut. It sounds very dated but I think it's sort of a positive, It sort of sounds of it's time in a retro kinda way. 

Debut Standouts: Human Behavior, Venus As A Boy, Violently Happy, Play Dead, Like Someone In Love and Big Time Sensuality.

Where to go next is really a matter of taste.

there is Medulla which is her almost entirely a capella album with human voices instead of instruments. It's a bit too weird for some but I love it tbh. 

Medulla Standouts: Oceania, Who Is It, Triumph Of A Heart, Where Is The Line, Sonnets/Unrealities XI and Desired Constellation. 

Biophilia, her most recent app album (that inspired ARTPOP's app). This one is very experimental and it's not that melodic in general and relies more on the instrumentation to keep it interesting. 

Biophilia Standouts: Virus, Mutual Core, Moon, Sacrifice, Crystalline and Thunderbolt. Natturra from the deluxe is good too. 

Volta is probably her worst album but it is still a good album. It kinda tries to fuse new and old Bjork so it has allot of different styles on it. 

Volta Standouts: Wanderlust, Declare Independence, Vertebrae by Vertebrae, Earth Intruders and The Dull Flame Of Desire

There is also Selma Songs, which is a soundtrack album and there are some good remix and live albums that she has released. After you are used to the standouts try the full album and find out which songs you like better because it's different for everyone. The one's listed aren't necessarily my favorites although I love almost all of Bjorks music, so  :shrug:

I appreciate you taking the time to put this all down for me! Since I made that post I've made a lot of progress. I had already listened and got into Homogenic because, as you said, most people say it's her best. I then got Post and love that, I've also listened to the majority of Debut and Biophilia, and dabbled in the others. I'm having a great time getting into her and discovering more of her work, I've also watched a few documentaries about her.

MikeyMoonShine

I appreciate you taking the time to put this all down for me! Since I made that post I've made a lot of progress. I had already listened and got into Homogenic because, as you said, most people say it's her best. I then got Post and love that, I've also listened to the majority of Debut and Biophilia, and dabbled in the others. I'm having a great time getting into her and discovering more of her work, I've also watched a few documentaries about her.

Well I knew your post was a while ago but I thought it might be helpful anyway and if not for you then maybe someone else. I am glad you are making progress, many too easily dismiss her as weird/pretentious or find her music too inaccessible because it's soo different. 

She's a very fascinating woman. 

Harry

Well I knew your post was a while ago but I thought it might be helpful anyway and if not for you then maybe someone else. I am glad you are making progress, many too easily dismiss her as weird/pretentious or find her music too inaccessible because it's soo different. 

She's a very fascinating woman. 

It's still helpful, I'm not even halfway through all her music yet :)

MikeyMoonShine

It's still helpful, I'm not even halfway through all her music yet :)

Well It took me years to get into some of it, so I would say you are doing well. 

oh, and good.  :legend:

Lets all take a moment to appreciate this short concert that was the prototype for the Medulla tour. The performance of Desired Constellation here is one of my faves.

http://vimeo.com/30684437

I really wish she had toured for Medulla. It would have been interesting to see it done. I would have loved to have heard some A Capella versions of her older songs.

The Earth remembers, the stones remember. If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.

MikeyMoonShine

Lets all take a moment to appreciate this short concert that was the prototype for the Medulla tour. The performance of Desired Constellation here is one of my faves.

I really wish she had toured for Medulla. It would have been interesting to see it done. I would have loved to have heard some A Capella versions of her older songs.

Sooo amazing. :giveup:

they aren't fully A Capella but there were a few performances of old songs with the choir on the Biophilia tour. 

http://youtu.be/KMxGOXER69U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFlsRcuBck4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-gK2-ZLFM4

But yeah a Medulla tour would have been awesome. 

vespertine

I was saving money for a Medúlla tour :giveup:

I was so mad when she didn't :grr:

At least I got to see her three years later :party:

Sooo amazing. :giveup:

they aren't fully A Capella but there were a few performances of old songs with the choir on the Biophilia tour. 

But yeah a Medulla tour would have been awesome. 

I know, i followed the Biophilia tour closely and thoroughly. I freaked when she performed Bachelorette. I wonder what took her so long to perform it considering the pipe organ had been playing it as a pre show song since MIF.

Hopefully one day we get to see the Medulla group together again. Bjork, a choir, Tanya Tagaq, Rahzel, and Mike Patton, it'd be great.

I was saving money for a Medúlla tour :giveup:

I was so mad when she didn't :grr:

At least I got to see her three years later :party:

You saw her live?! i'm so jealous! i wanna see  her live so bad! Live Box, Voltaic, and bootlegs are the closest i get.  :cry:

The Earth remembers, the stones remember. If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.

vespertine

I know, i followed the Biophilia tour closely and thoroughly. I freaked when she performed Bachelorette. I wonder what took her so long to perform it considering the pipe organ had been playing it as a pre show song since MIF.

Hopefully one day we get to see the Medulla group together again. Bjork, a choir, Tanya Tagaq, Rahzel, and Mike Patton, it'd be great.

You saw her live?! i'm so jealous! i wanna see her live so bad! Live Box, Voltaic, and bootlegs are the closest i get. :cry:

I saw her twice on the Volta Tour

<Auditorium Theatre + Laugardalur Park>

And once on the Biophilia Tour at Pitchfork <the show that ended early because of an upcoming storm>

I saw her twice on the Volta Tour

And once on the Biophilia Tour at Pitchfork

I remember reading about the pitchfork show. It sucks cause she just had a few more songs and it would have been over. I almost went to the pitchfork show. But by the time i had enough money the plane ticket prices went up to much and i couldn't go. I was devastated because i really wanted to see Biophilia live. She needs to come back to Texas so i have a chance at seeing her live.

On another note:

Tomorrow is my birthday. You know what that means? I'll be brand new, brand new tomorrow!

http://youtu.be/63pGPBYyEtc

vespertine

I remember reading about the pitchfork show. It sucks cause she just had a few more songs and it would have been over. I almost went to the pitchfork show. But by the time i had enough money the plane ticket prices went up to much and i couldn't go. I was devastated because i really wanted to see Biophilia live. She needs to come back to Texas so i have a chance at seeing her live.

On another note:

Tomorrow is my birthday. You know what that means? I'll be brand new, brand new tomorrow!

http://youtu.be/63pGPBYyEtc

yaaaas plútó yaaas

Homogenik

another cool video accompaniment to Pluto :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAEV0oAiCBA

vespertine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAEV0oAiCBA

:legend:

I had the best weekend ever! I have cousin's visiting from Chicago who used to listen to Bjork and The Sugarcubes in high school. They told me how they danced to their music at their prom and told me about seeing her live at a festival. It was so interesting.

I love this person videos. Never seen this one though, i like it.

The Dark Matter video they did is amazing too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3bRaaK85HU

Archived