Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th

Gaga can easily have #1 hits if she wanted to

Quark

Featured Posts

Gaga is Life

That is what's unique and quite awesome about her. I wonder if it'd be cool if she did a 'generic #1 song' just to reinvigorate some energy into her from the GP.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Smooth Criminal

Yes, I have made similar threads like this in the past. I just felt that it was convinient to make another one right now due to the fact that people are talking alot obout Gaga's success latetly.

It's OK, I was just looking for a way to use that pic!  :toofunny:

Dean Winchester

Agreed  :) her goal is more to provoke a thought or a feeling in the listener rather than to make it likeable for the listener.  She wants the critics to keep asking the question: Is it right or is it wrong? I'm here for her artistry, not for her chart positions 

aaronyoji

I agree with your OP but are you implying that ARTPOP is an album for #1's or an album to show her art/experimental side? Like I mean are you saying ARTPOP is to bring in the attention then she'll recieve act II or?

I personally think ARTPOP is commercial. Maybe I'm immune to weird because I'm a weird person myself...Like I didn't hear BTW as weird like a lot of fans did here at first...

I think ARTPOP sounds like a lot of the songs on the radio...unless you look at it's lyrical aspects...then it's very unique imo 

all of this as well. 

I am implying that ARTPOP is exatly that. ART and POP. She still want to keep her art, but not completely leave pop. For example take a look at the song Applause. Its lyrics are kind of weird and arty and they may even seem "self centered". But the sound and melodies still have those infectious sounds that the GP likes.

I agree with your OP but are you implying that ARTPOP is an album for #1's or an album to show her art/experimental side? Like I mean are you saying ARTPOP is to bring in the attention then she'll recieve act II or?

I personally think ARTPOP is commercial. Maybe I'm immune to weird because I'm a weird person myself...Like I didn't hear BTW as weird like a lot of fans did here at first...

I think ARTPOP sounds like a lot of the songs on the radio...unless you look at it's lyrical aspects...then it's very unique imo 

djBuffoon

Gaga still likes and wants success, is just that if she is going to be succesful, she much rather take risks and be succesful on her own terms and not on the terms of the GP (Katy Perry anyone?).

My thoughts on her career trajectory, and why I respect her.

KillerCupcake

Not really :awkney: You think she doesn't want #1's? Well she does. She just became disliked, and can't get them anymore. That's why it was crucial for her to release a song like Sexx Dreams ft Rihanna. With Rihanna's help she might have been able to.

i reckon it's actually not as easy as we all think. one, she's not the type of person to just churn out generic hits for the sake of getting hits and two, she's such a polarizing figure in the music/entertainment industry that people just find ways to hate and/or discredit her no matter what she does. it sucks but that's just how it is i guess.

But have you noticed that non of the songs on ARTPOP fit the definitions of your standard top 40 songs? For example who writes a song about needing the Applause, about being pop culture, and or about using your body as a metaphor for how much the media attakcs? Yes she still wants to keep some modern pop formulas with her music, but she also won't leave her art.

okay, what you are saying is technically true, but in the end of the day, you can't formulate a hit. with ARTPOP, most of the songs are gaga doing everything right by the book, and yet people aren't eating it up as much. its not that gaga does or doesn't want easy hits, its that the market is completely fickle and flighty. has it occured to anyone that maybe gaga would have more commercial success this era if she didn't focus so much on doing what seems to be a sure success of a hit? 

I kind of Disagree. If that were the case, choosing singles like Applause and Do What U Want wouldn't happen. They are directed to a commercial audience, and if Gypsy or Dope become singles its the same story. (Same thing happened in Born This Way, her experimental stuff was never released for the public). At the end of the day weather its Gaga, her management or her label, the singles aim for chart success and this is not a bad thing, commercial songs do not equal to bad songs. 

Exactly. The selection of the singles she has released since Born This Way has been mostly, if not entirely, done out of convenience in pursuit of easily wanting a hit (the promotion of TEOG & DWUW to full-time singles upon release due to the early warm reception, the release of a song like You & I at a time when Adele was massively successful,  Applause as the lead single of this album, the release of DWUW remix with Xtina, et.al). She herself admitted that ARTPOP is an album engineered for the radio, didn't she? That'd translate that she does (or did) try all of her efforts to score those hits. It just happened the reception they're hoping (and we're hoping for) didn't meet the expectations simply because more people are more interested to the works of others. 

TimisaMonster

Interscope won't let her and neither did Troy :MANiCURE:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

MessyTop

Not really :awkney: You think she doesn't want #1's? Well she does. She just became disliked, and can't get them anymore. That's why it was crucial for her to release a song like Sexx Dreams ft Rihanna. With Rihanna's help she might have been able to.

I agree! All artists EVEN Gaga wants a hit.

codymonster

I kind of Disagree. If that were the case, choosing singles like Applause and Do What U Want wouldn't happen. They are directed to a commercial audience, and if Gypsy or Dope become singles its the same story. (Same thing happened in Born This Way, her experimental stuff was never released for the public). At the end of the day whether its Gaga, her management or her label, the singles aim for chart success and this is not a bad thing, commercial songs do not equal to bad songs.

However, it does make sense tho. She writes and makes music that is stuff she is passionate about and doesn't sell out then. But, the whole point of singles is to attract the GP, since the fans have all the music and such.

So I think she still doesn't write for the number ones. But she's intelligent, and chooses from this songs which would work best with what she's trying to say, but also reach the masses.

But the thing is that most of her success has been on her own terms. She released dance music one few cared for it and her songs still became a success. She released weird music videos that werent the norm, and yet they became a success. She released a song about needed Applause and it still became a hit. So what I am saying is that she wants to do what she wants, and hope that it becomes a success.

Oh and the last sentence doesn't make sense. If the aim is success it won't happen without the GP or its "terms".

I did not say she doesn't want #1's. I said that she wants them on her own terms. I think she is willing to possibly not succeed in order to release the type of things she wants to do.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived