Featured Posts

high heeled fem

The BTW era was actually a really good era in hindsight 

i know ppl on here crack me up  :lana:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gaga:  *problems with management and label*

Fans:  STOP HAVING PROBLEMS YOU CAN'T CONTROL!!!

Fans:  Read my post, Gaga!

Gaga:  *reads and responds*

Fans:  STOP READING INTO THINGS!!!!

Fans:  Gaga!  Tell us what's happening!

Gaga: Okay.  Here's what's happening.

Fans:  STOP WHINING!

Fans:  Release music!

Gaga:  Working on it!

Fans:  FASTER!

Gaga:  *releases music*

Fans:  FLOP FLOP FLOP.  Can't wait for her next album to slay I guess.

Gaga:  *begins working on new music like always*

Fans:  NO!!!  

Fans:  Release DWUW video!

Gaga:  Here is a photo behind the scenes!

Fans:  Looks like a FLOP!!!  Over it!  Third single please!!!!

The accuracy in this post.  :worship:

I think most of the fans responding negatively in each example don't even realize how over-bearing and obnoxious they come across. If it were just a few of them, it'd be whatever, but so many people complain about the same things, and they complain harshly. It just makes the entire atmosphere of the fanbase on some sites ****ty for the rest of the fans who aren't whining. 

My name isn't Timmers

Little7Monster

Her message is there, and her heart is in the right place, but her obsession with being an advocate for every problem in the world is over saturating media with her, which could be a source of her public image problems. She's a pop star that is trying to be an artist, an advocate, a mentor, a teacher, and much more. Not that it is bad, but she is trying to be more than what people already loved about her. She was interesting and made good music, now her attention is on other causes that are coming across contrived, and forced for the sake of being relevant. 

She doesn't need this type of publicity, and if she wants to help make a difference there are other ways to do it without looking desperate at times. People wanted new music, and they got it with ARTPOP, but with it came this (seemingly contrived) persona about being an artist with this great love and respect for obscure, controversial artists. Her message was right trying to bring them together, but the typical fan doesn't want to invest in an album and an art history lesson; they want the music. The music they fell in love with Gaga with. I'm not saying she is dishonest, but if they were so important in her life for so long, the names "Koons" and "Abramovic" would have come up much sooner than now. 

Again, I love Gaga, but she is trying really hard to be something that she doesn't have to be for the sake of being different, when the focus should be the music. She's good at that, and her LGBT work is incredible, but now her other endeavors are coming across wrong. She can have those interests, but her career is music, and it is turning a lot of people off of her because she is trying so hard to be an intellectual when people already viewed her as one. It's kind of like when someone is very smart, and everyone knows it, but they make it the topic of discussion constantly, just to make sure you know they're smart. It's unnecessary, and it's unbecoming. Gaga just needs to go back to basics. It would do wonders for her image (not that it's bad, it's just not what it was). 

OMG!! :dies:

SO true!

This fanbase has a large percentage of outcasts, or those who perceive themselves to be such. By default they are very sensitive, obsessive and set the Lady on a pedestal (mind you, she engineered it). They project, she's their MOTHER, Goddess, Idol, example... you get the drift.

Humans can be kind AND cruel, that is the issue. Internet is the only way for some of these people to truly communicate and vent, because in real life they are loners or afraid to talk about their true feelings. So Internet will ALWAYS have a shadow side. To think otherwise is naive to the max.

Secondly, if we get to the whole Goddess of Love, Greek Gods idea, those gods were worshipped but also HATED by the ancient greeks. Not everyone LOVED Aphrodite at all times. People prayed to her, sure. And then when their prayers didn't come true, they turned on her, too. This isn't any different. If you play with archetypes, as a human, you'll get burned.

Finally, this is also what happens when you build a PERSONA and it becomes hugely successful. Lady Gaga was a persona Stefani Germanotta put together and it clicked. But now she is trying to be human, be herself. Alas, the persona construct is still loved more by many of her fans. It will take time for the real person to come through and be accepted.

In my case, it's not about the amount of negative posts, but about the content of these posts.

I mean, she :

- says she was mismanaged, so that's why this era is not what it was supposed to be ;

- says a lot a people betrayed her ;

- gives a defition of a fan ;

- almost says that critics are "irrelevant" (speaking like that whereas these critics helped her back in 2008/9/11...) ;

- asks us to buy copies whereas she's "only about music and not the bling" ;

- wants to ban the "flop" word ;

- crashes the critics (her tweets about the Roar/Applause competiton, her weight gain, the thing with Madonna's ponytail,...).

It only annoys me because I think it gives to the critics new ways to blame her. For example, in France, a lot of newspapers call her a bad loser because of this "mismanagement" thing she said (https://littlemonsters.com/post/52c9ee5da296c8b7228b4f86). She always played with the medias, but now the medias are playing with her image, it's sad to see tbh...

:awkney:  yeah, to the fans it might not feel as awkward, but the fact that it will get out and the tabloids will have their opinions and spin about it. which will lead to the GP having certain perceptions, which will lead to Gaga ever more focusing on the critics. 

Like I swear she spends all day reading youtube comments. Part of her wants to say eff em, and she does kind of, but other times it seems like the critics voices are the only ones shes listening to. 

By being open like this, there is a braveness and strength that can be seen as weakness in a culture that has learned and conditioned to be guarded, strong like men who never talk about their feelings, never show weakness as a Spartan.., however, there is great strength in patience, resolve in the image of open arms, an open mind, and an open mind in the risk of pain, betrayal, and critical judgment. Ask any parent, any caretaker of the elderly, disabled, and disadvantaged, shelters of injured animals. There is a strength there. Men hide their feelings to cover the blows of life, but there are plenty of men and women who open up and talk about things. It's human nature to have a support system and to extend it, when the mediator between the head and the hands is the heart. (Folks might know that reference. ;) )

I wasn't into to the idea when it appeared Gaga was acting above criticism, but there was context to consider. When she talked about depression, she was looking out for a fan hurting with it. She went out of her way to be a helping hand when none is required of her, that goes above and beyond what people look for in a pop star aka entertainers. We want them to be strong, to be mysterious, and to be carefree, because it shows hard strength we all wish we had. However, all those "tough" perceived pop stars, even rock stars are human and their emotions complete the human dynamic. We call them celebrities, project all sorts of images on them. But just as the Wizard of Oz carried such fear and ominous dread about his name, there is a man (a person) behind the curtain, just like there is a girl behind the aura.

Maybe she is still that strong, hard ass, free b---h, but she also has this gooey softness inside like the inner kitten inside the tiger. With communication of the digital age, she gives a more complete picture of what a pop star of the 21st century with her image and her words.

Anyways, very interesting thoughts in this thread, Tiffa.

good points, especially the bolded part for me. Its kinda why i found her so inspiring in the first place. But i get that shes human, and I do care.

Her sharing dialog with fans is very sweet, but at the same time it's off-putting. She used to be such an enigma, so mysterious and strange, and it was like nobody knew anything about her. Then she started bringing her walls down and that mystery disappeared. I think we know almost too much about her now. By allowing us to hear her deepest, darkest thoughts, she is humanising herself too much. It's like she's no longer a pop goddess but a normal girl playing the part of a pop star. And though that may be her intention, it's not something I like at all.

I love judas SO MUCH but I canʹt look like a copycat of JLO!!!!

Her sharing dialog with fans is very sweet, but at the same time it's off-putting. She used to be such an enigma, so mysterious and strange, and it was like nobody knew anything about her. Then she started bringing her walls down and that mystery disappeared. I think we know almost too much about her now. By allowing us to hear her deepest, darkest thoughts, she is humanising herself too much. It's like she's no longer a pop goddess but a normal girl playing the part of a pop star. And though that may be her intention, it's not something I like at all.

Love how she brought back the larger-than-life enigmatic popstar, like a modern Michael Jackson/Madonna.

There are tons and tons of 'normal girl' popstars who are 'open' and 'relatable'. There was only one Lady Gaga.

I'm not saying she is dishonest, but if they were so important in her life for so long, the names "Koons" and "Abramovic" would have come up much sooner than now. 

she mentioned Marina Abramovic in 2010, just pointing that out ;) She has been talking about this kind of stuff for a long time, she's just doing it... differently now, I guess. IMO there's nothing wrong with that, but I can see where you're coming from with the rest of your post.

Love how she brought back the larger-than-life enigmatic popstar, like a modern Michael Jackson/Madonna.

There are tons and tons of 'normal girl' who are 'open' and 'relatable' popstars. There was only one Lady Gaga.

And now she's trying to be the normal girl popstar. It's jarring. She doesn't feel as larger-than-life anymore. There have only been a handful of times this era when I saw her become that fearless warrior queen. But a lot of the time, it seems to be her agenda to show everyone how normal and real and dark she is. I think it all started with that speech at the beginning of Swine at iTunes Fest, when she symbolically took off her wig to show her real hair. I know she said it was her intention to show us she could be the Lady Gaga, even with her guard down, but I think it was a big mistake, honestly.

giskardsb

And now she's trying to be the normal girl popstar. It's jarring. She doesn't feel as larger-than-life anymore. There have only been a handful of times this era when I saw her become that fearless warrior queen. But a lot of the time, it seems to be her agenda to show everyone how normal and real and dark she is. I think it all started with that speech at the beginning of Swine at iTunes Fest, when she symbolically took off her wig to show her real hair. I know she said it was her intention to show us she could be the Lady Gaga, even with her guard down, but I think it was a big mistake, honestly.

many fans are engaged in a "cult of personality" of Lady Gaga, or a particular version of it.   They want her to be that way forever but she isn't.  Things change.  They need to accept it or move on.  Spreading unhappy negative energy around does no good for either the former fan or new fans who like the current artist.

many fans are engaged in a "cult of personality" of Lady Gaga, or a particular version of it.   They want her to be that way forever but she isn't.  Things change.  They need to accept it or move on.  Spreading unhappy negative energy around does no good for either the former fan or new fans who like the current artist.

I'm no "former fan" and I'm not spreading negativity around. I'm just saying I think it was a mistake for Gaga to bring her guard down and be so honest about her weaknesses/insecurities/problems. 

So much to say but I'm currently on mobile. I will be on shortly with one of my infamous essay posts.

In the meantime, I have to say that in opposed to all of these interesting comments regarding Gaga's new approach to fame and "letting her guard down," "killing the larger than life pop star," etc, I'm in Favor of it. I always loved Gaga then but I feel more connected to her now. Not to mention, she appears to be a lot more approachable now.

I realize that this kills the fantasy for some people, but she is truly is allowing us to make her what we need her to be while actually being that for some people who need it.

We've come to Gaga for so many things and I think it's time that she opens up to us, and let's us support her as much as she's supported and believed in us. I feel honoured that she has opened up to us and trusts us enough to that do. I feel like people are betraying the trust she has in us.

giskardsb

I'm no "former fan" and I'm not spreading negativity around. I'm just saying I think it was a mistake for Gaga to bring her guard down and be so honest about her weaknesses/insecurities/problems.

Yeah actually I shouldn't really have quoted you specifically I was responding more in aggregate to a bunch of posts.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived