Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Attitude Magazine reviews ARTPOP

Jesse Pinkman

Featured Posts

Jesse Pinkman

LADY GAGA

ARTPOP/ INTERSCOPE

4/5

Sonically, Lady Gaga’s third studio album is a tough, relentless odyssey of electronic sounds, which is repeatedly penetrated by strong melodic refrains - best evidenced on the powerful opener Aura, with its glorious “Do you wanna see me naked lover?†chorus. The production of German newcomer Zedd is audibly stamped across many tracks.

Contrary to what Applause may have implied, ARTPOP is not just an album about being Lady Gaga. Accessible pop songs for all to engage with include G.U.Y, the saucy but catchy Do What U Want and Sexxx Dreams – where she falsettos like Prince, declaring “When I lay in bed I touch myself and I think of you†– we’ve all been there. Plain old fun reigns on Fashion! and Donatella, which continue Gaga’s appreciation for the finer garments in life - “I’m skinny, I’m rich, and I’m a little bit of a b---hâ€. Weaker moments come on Jewels n Drugs, the out-of-the blue hip hop moment with three guest rappers – or Swine, which, despite being one of the record’s most well crafted production pieces, may not be to everyone’s liking.

ARTPOP closes with a winning hat trick. As the only piano-led ballad, Dope is the album’s rightful successor to Speechless and You and I. Half ballad, half banger, Gypsy thrills from the outset, with hooks strong enough to fish most of the other tracks out of the water and eat them for breakfast. Singing of life on the road with “ruby shoesâ€, she cries “I don’t wanna be alone forever/but I love a gypsy lifeâ€, before Applause brings it all home in style.

“My ARTPOP could mean anything†she swoons like Blondie on the title track. So what do we think? She does pushes creative boundaries when pitted against her chart contemporaries, but if there’s one thing we can be sure of: it’s pop for pop’s sake.

Ben Kelly

http://attitude.co.uk/viewers/viewcontent.aspx?contentid=3516&catid=culture&subcatid=music&longtitle=LADY+GAGA+COVERS+ATTITUDE

It's science, bitch

:clap: is this counted to MC?

LADY GAGA/madonna/katy perry/little mix/ariana grande/selena gomez/britney spears/taylor swift

Jesse Pinkman

Great! :party: Another positive review!

Shame it's not eligible for metacritic.. :/

:noparty:

It's science, bitch

djBuffoon

It would have been unspeakably awkward if they interviewed her and then slammed her album in the same issue. :teehee:

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived