💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

*UPDATED* ARTPOP review by The Examiner

Stef

Featured Posts

The wait is finally over. Lady Gaga's third studio album, 'ARTPOP,' is now streaming everywhere on iTunes Radio. The official release is Monday, November 11.

For the past year, Gaga has been toting this album has being her peak artistic vision, claiming that she is making living art. At worst, she's been written off as being pretentious, but while listening to the album as a full story, I completely get it.

The album takes us on a ride that begins with Gaga "killing" her former self and takes us through her psyche, her vulnerability and the darkness that lives inside her. By the end, she asks us for our "Applause," for sharing her proprietary information. It's an album that is filled with anxiety, hope, despair, s-x, desire, fury and above all, love.

I've made it no secret that I'm a huge fan of Gaga's work, but I'd like to think I can be critical of her work when necessary. So when I say that there's only one or two "weak" tracks out of the 15 official tracks on the album, I say that with the most critical of minds.

"Aura" leaked ahead of the official release of "Applause" and I was enamored with the mildly southern-fried dance track that taunts the listener with her sarcasm. The final version is equally as impressive and oozes contempt for Gaga's former self, fame, celebrity and Hollywood.

On the flip side of her leaving her former self behind, we get "Venus," a peek into what Gaga strives to be and what every woman should aspire to.The track that was produced by Gaga herself. "When I was finishing ARTPOP I decided to write one more song. And this song is about a very feminine wisdom. So I told all of my producers to get their big dicks out of the room. I said this one must be produced by a vagina," she said.

"G.U.Y." is a clear fan favorite, from all the psychotically ravenous reviews and meltdowns I witnessed on Twitter. And I'll admit, while Gaga doesn't make songs to be "hits," this song has the stench of a potential no.1 all over it. It's Gaga at her best: s-xually dominating and surprisingly heartfelt.

Let me stop here for a second to pen a small love letter to three of the men who elevated Gaga to this level of amazingness: DJ White Shadow, Zedd and Madeon. Thank you for the stellar production and work you put into this album. It truly is her best effort and I know we have you three to thank for a lot of that.

If you didn't get hot under the collar listening to "G.U.Y." don't worry "Sexxx Dreams" will take care of that for you. Twista, T.I. and Too Short stop by on the crazy train that is 'ARTPOP' to drop a few bars on the trap-tastic "Jewels n' Drugs."

The title track, "ARTPOP" is the midway point of the album where things get even stranger. On this track, Gaga attempts to define what the hell "ARTPOP" actually means and comes off sounding like a lunatic, but that beat and her vocals send shivers down my spine.

Now comes her most personal song on the album and easily my favorite of the bunch, "Swine." She expresses such rage and fury in this song laden with heavy production that hurts my ears. I'd liken it to hate s-x. While we don't know exactly who Gaga is raging about in this song, I can honestly tell you that most people on this planet can relate to that anger in one way or another.

The relentless brilliance carries on through the sarcastic and snarky "Donatella," an ode to Gaga's designer BFF, Donatella Versace and basically continues right into "Fashion!" which is one of the weaker tracks. I get what she's trying to do with the song, but it comes off as a little vapid.

"Mary Jane Holland" is incredibly catching and reminds me of all the 80's hair bands my mother listened to while I was sitting in the car on the way to the grocery store. Describing marijuana as a female is nothing new, especially for hip-hop, but in the wide world of pop music, it's daring.

But it's no surprise that a tribute to marijuana leads in to "Dope," the only ballad on 'ARTPOP', with just Gaga and her piano, producing a heartbreaking ode to addiction and love.

The album wraps up with "Gypsy" and "Applause"; both are stark contrasts of each other, but I can't think of a better way of ending an album like this. She's telling exactly who she is, what she wants and how she's achieved it.

I didn't want to do a track-by-track review of the album, but when each song is different from the last it's hard to choose which to cover. Every song is a bevy of catchy lyrics ranging from, "Don't you know my ass is famous?" to "You're just a pig inside a human body." The production is out of this world, this galaxy even and I think that was the whole point.

'Born This Way' was Gaga's eclectic and moody album that divided her fans. 'ARTPOP' is healing those wounds and giving off a high unlike any other. If you take the album at face value, it's still a wonderful eruption of dance beats, but if you dig a little deeper you'll find you relate to Gaga more than you thought you could.

SOURCE: http://www.examiner.com/review/under-bone-crushing-beats-lady-gaga-takes-us-through-her-journey-on-ARTPOP

Looks like poor Angela Cheng should stick to the blogs :derpga:

Signature loading… 👹🖤

nick4bty

Is this like the official review from The Examiner (if there is such a thing?) Does it count toward Metacritic? Cuz they gave it 100

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived