💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Entertainment Weekly review ARTPOP

djBuffoon

Featured Posts

I agree with them. I totally love the album, but I would consider none of the songs "Art". They are pure pop, the only song I would consider arty is Venus, but that's one of the weaker songs in my opinion.

The songs don't have to be full of art, it's POP music. It's more the visual side of ARTPOP that's ART. At least in my opinion.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just that ARTPOP is not only the album, not only 15 songs. It's the whole thing, the whole context. How many artistic references we had on Applause or Venus video and performance? A lot! I think the songs are POP, but the way they're performed is ART.

djBuffoon

Katy Perry (as much as I like her as a person) is a cypher for pop music, who doesn't really have a controversial element to her or anything that can really grate. Gaga's unapologetic in hr belief of herself as an artist, that she makes masterpieces, that she's art and pop fused, etc. etc.

It makes her work harder to swallow, as opposed to Katy's own stuff.

This. The bolder the work, the easier it is to find things that are "wrong" with it.

Jonathanholland

It's just that ARTPOP is not only the album, not only 15 songs. It's the whole thing, the whole context. How many artistic references we had on Applause or Venus video and performance? A lot! I think the songs are POP, but the way they're performed is ART.

this. People don't understand the meaning of ARTPOP. What do they expect? Her singing about the mona lisa or something?  :wtf:

Before there was love, there was silence

djBuffoon

this. People don't understand the meaning of ARTPOP. What do they expect? Her singing about the mona lisa or something?  :wtf:

:dies:

tomsches

People keep saying this, but what criteria do you have for art that hasn't been met?

well that's a hard question, because what IS art really? But for me personally artistic music contains: unconventional time signatures (something like 7/8 or 5/4 or 17/8), unconventional chord progressions that must not necessarily be catchy, that means compositions that make you think about  and a--lyze the musical structure, innovative instrumentation....I could go on.......When she said the album is called ARTPOP I was expecting something groundbreaking, a whole new genre that did not exist before, but what we got is exactly what is on the radio musically. Maybe the Art aspect is more on the visual side, but I just was excited for really artistic music, so that's the one point I was a bit disappointed it! But as I said, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the album!

MallorySterling

But really though, the complaints I have seen for this album are infuriating. "She doesn't reach far back enough. NO WAIT, it's too current! It's too out there, NO it's too commercial! It's TOO diverse!"

Just shut up and listen to the damn record.

Exactly. These people don't even know what they want from her.

HuntyBooBoo

From EW, a B is good. You rarely EVER see anything more than an A- for their music reviews.

Its my go-to magazine when I use the toilet.

well that's a hard question, because what IS art really? But for me personally artistic music contains: unconventional time signatures (something like 7/8 or 5/4 or 17/8), unconventional chord progressions that must not necessarily be catchy, that means compositions that make you think about and a--lyze the musical structure, innovative instrumentation....I could go on.......When she said the album is called ARTPOP I was expecting something groundbreaking, a whole new genre that did not exist before, but what we got is exactly what is on the radio musically. Maybe the Art aspect is more on the visual side, but I just was excited for really artistic music, so that's the one point I was a bit disappointed it! But as I said, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the album!

Ok I see.

To me the artistry is more in the lyrics, which may seem like typical pop fare except they're used by Gaga as authentic self expression and there's bits in almost every song that go against a straightforward interpretation and introduce ambiguity, discomfort, or layers of subtext.

Redstreak
The songs don't have to be full of art, it's POP music. It's more the visual side of ARTPOP that's ART. At least in my opinion.
that's why I think, the ART is the visual side to things.
Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

DanceInTheFlames

People who keep saying there is no art in the music. Uh yes there is, music in itself is a form of art.

But even then, when it comes to Gaga and ARTPOP the music isn't the whole picture of the art. It's the fashion, the visuals, the interpretation, the videos. The music is the baseline. What comes next, the whole picture, the theatre.... that's ARTPOP.

B=75 on metacritic. They've been hating on her the whole era so not too bad I guess.

That's good actually :party:

this. People don't understand the meaning of ARTPOP. What do they expect? Her singing about the mona lisa or something? :wtf:

:lmao:

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived