Die With A Smile Music Video Banner

Official Review ARTPOP Track-by-Track thread.

MelbHawker

Featured Posts

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pop Art

01. Aura - 10/10

Perf

02. Venus - 10/10

Perf

03. G.U.Y- 10/10

Perf

04. Sexxx Dreams - 10/10

Perf

05. Jewels & Drugs- 10/10

Perf

06. MANiCURE - 10/10

Perf

07. Do What U Want - 10/10

Perf

08. ARTPOP - 10/10

Perf

09. Swine - 10/10

Perf

10. Donatella - 10/10

Perf

11. Fashion! - 10/10

Perf

12. Mary Jane Holland - 10/10

Perf

13. Dope - 10/10

Perf

14. Gypsy - 10/10

Perf

15. Applause - 10/10

Perf

Album of the millennium.

tumblr_m1bmjzIVom1r8cxk1o1_500.gif

You win the thread! Congrats!

uiMjdKh.gif

HeavyPunkLover

Applause 9.5 out of 10?

Gipsy Corny?

I mean LOL

"Just because you know my name, doesn't mean you know my game"

JakeIscariot

01. Aura- 9/10

The original demo was better and thats what stopped it from getting a 10/10. Some of the lyrics fall a little flat, but other then that I think it's perfection. It transitions perfectly. I love the Grindhouse Robert Rodriguez opening mixed with the different techno music.

02. Venus- 8/10

It has a very fun, space-aged, David Bowie-esque sound too it. It sounds like it belongs in a musical. Venus: The Musical FTW.

03. G.U.Y.- 10/10

I thought the intro was hilarious and pretty clever. I love the concept of the song and thought it was an ingenius acronym. It has single written all over it. I would be very surprised if it didn't hit radio airwaves.

04. Sexxx Dreams- 10/10

Sexy as hell. I love the inner monologue going on in her head jusxtiposed with what shes saying. The beat is sick. Disco sticks will be hopped on and babies will be born to this jam. It was the first song I fell in love with at Swinefest and was pleased that the song sounded just as amazing on the CD. Perfection. Best Lyrics: We could be caught. We are both convicted criminals of thought. We cant hide the evidence in our heads. <3

05. Jewels N Drugs-  8/10

I cant believe the negative reactions to this song. The instrumental is one of if not the best on the album. I think their are too many cooks in the kitchen. Maybe one rapper being featured would have sufficed, but I love the chorus, and think it deserves way more credit than its getting.

06. MANiCURE- 8/10

I think the song needed to breathe. The song starts to abruptly, it deserved some kind of rock-n-roll intro before segueing to the actual song. I liked the additional lyrics that she added, it made the song more playful. The song was a tad too rushed. The song could have standed to be a minute or so longer.

07. Do What U Want- 9/10

Hot Hot fire. I am so glad she switched and made this her second single. I'm not the biggest fan of human urinal R.Kelly, but he's such a minor part of the song to me that it didn't bug me. I think this song takes R&B music to a completely new level. Cant find too much to complain about here.

08. ARTPOP- 8/10

I need the HEEE HEEE back in my life. I know how silly that sounds, but it being pushed to a very faint background noise seemed kind of weird to me. It's a very dreamy mid-tempo song and I think it needed just a little more mmph, but was pleasurable none the less.

09. Swine - 7/10

She had so much passion during Swinefest when she performed this song and it seems to be lacking on the album version. She also does a great pig impression. I think the instrumental is a Grand Slam club hit, but this song felt like their was more music than lyrics. It's a simple song hiding behind throbbing club music.

10. Donatella- 6/10

I don't get the hype over this song. I think maybe youth are eating up the opening line, OH MY GOD, SHE JUST SAID BITCH LOLZYS... but the rest of the song just seemed weak lyrically. I cant believe that she struggled with which song to make #12. If anything she should have struggled with the decision to include this song. Also- I know everyones head will explode, but I'm entitled to have my own opinion just as your entitled to disagree <3 ;p.

11. Fashion! - 7/10

Someone mentioned this song being a 'filler', but I think its maybe a few steps in front of that. Is it a single? Not by any stretch. It's pleasant and had me shouting Fashion! every few seconds. I didn't get any Will.I.AM vibes anywhere in this song which was nice (I am not a huge BEP fan). I hope after Donatella and Fashion! she's gotten singing about clothes out of her system. New subjects please.

12. Mary Jane Holland- 9/10

It's a stoner anthem without hitting you over the head with the obvious stick. I expected a Reggae inspired song with Bob Marley sampling and the final product is realms away from the stereotypical pot-smoking genre of music. How she derived the name is beyond me, but it works. The song is a powerful dance track and being the self absorbed loser I am ;) I kept singing the song with my name in place of Jane.  Mary Jake Holland***.

13. Dope- 10/10

I Wanna Be With You... being transformed into Dope was a smart move. The lyrics have become more meaningful, powerful, while still keeping that stripped borderline acoustic edge. Being someone that has suffered with addiction (I'm currently in outpatient rehab) I found the lyrics very relatable. I may want the d--gs, but their are people whom I love that are more important and are the drive to keep me sober. I love it love it loooooove it.

14. Gypsy- 9/10

Her live performance of the song is quite possibly one of the best live performances of any song she ever sang. She sang the **** out of it. The album version felt as if she put the song on fast forward and zipped right through it. Just like MANiCURE it needed a few more minutes to breathe and it would have been spot on perfect to me. Especally the end. She said about 100 words in 10 seconds. I still found myself singing a million miles a minute along with her, but wished it could have slowed down just a tad.

15. Applause- 8/10

After the perfection of the last fourteen songs (well maybe thirteen discounting Donatella) she definitely deserves the Applause for a fun/dance/pop masterpiece. ARTPOP is excellent. It was worth the wait and my feet are in pain from dancing like a maniac all over my bedroom. Best album I've heard since... well... Born This Way =X

MelbHawker

7. Do What You Want (feat. R.Kelly)

This might be one of my absolute favourites. Lyrically it's an selfempowering track, while being disguised as s-xy almost nymphomanic song. I hear the Michael Jackson reference in the vocals style, especially towards the end, there she belts out ad-libs similar to The Way You Make Me Feel and Leave Me Alone by MJ. Also in the lyrics there are some ties with MJ. In the first verse she sings about:

I feel good, I walk along

But then I trip on myself and I fall

I, I stand up, and then I’m okay

But then you print some ****

That makes me want to scream

It really summarizes MJ's live in a nutshell.

In the first part of the first verse she sings:

I feel good, I walk along

But then I trip on myself and I fall

I, I stand up, and then I’m okay

MJ was on top of the world, he performed, he gave around 300 million dollars to charity (for orphaned and sick children), he was tackled by the media since he was accused of child abuse (Later on there were allegations against him in 2005, and was acquited on 10 counts and 4 misdemeanors, even the recent so called leaks that were posted in the entertainment part of these forums, were fabricated by people who wanted to take him down).

He stood up several times, after the Dangerous Era in 1993 he was accused for child abuse by one boy and it blew in the media. MJ came back in 1995 with an album called HIStory Book I: Past, Present and Future. It was a collection of his best hits and an whole new album as the second disc. That second disc included hits such as Scream with Janet Jackson, They Don't Care About Us, Earth Song, You Are Not Alone, Tabloid Junkie and Stranger in Moscow.

In Scream, MJ sings in the chorus: 

Stop pressuring me, You make me Wanna Scream.

That ties with the Lady GaGa lyric:

"But then you print some ****

That makes me want to scream"

It also ties in with the track Tabloid Junkie in which Mj sings this in the prechorus:

It's slander

With the words you use

You're a parasite in black and white

Do anything for news

and this in the chorus:

Just because you read it in a magazine

Or see it on the TV screen

Don't make it factual

It's in both MJ songs and Lady GaGa song clearly a jab toward the media and critics.

Another tie to MJ is the inclusion of R.Kelly. Since 1995 MJ and R.Kelly wrote several song together of which only a few had been released on albums like HIStory, Invincible and Number Ones. the best known song of them working together You Are Not Alone. It's a song for open interpretation, but in the music video for that song MJ finds love with Lisa Marie Presley at the time while being haunted by the media. The media doesn't really like to cover positive news about R. Kelly these days. He had also allegations abouta rape case and a paedophilia case, which in both he was acquited.

The lyrics R.Kelly sings are not very in depth at first, but it ties into theme as well. he sings about private high class live and escapism in love and d--gs. MJ needed sedatives to function and sleep later on in his live. Lady GaGa used d--gs in the past probably to escape from the bull**** happening around her (hence the song Swine).

The Do What You want with my body part of the song is actually the peak of the song, it says whatever they say, think or do, the media and public can't change them for who they are, but they can do what they want with their bodies, since they are artists who give themselves their all. The last part needs some explanation. The artists give all they have to the public, if the public doesn't like the actions of the artist they demand change or intervention, the artists will be impacted by that and it makes them feel dead inside (which ties with the them of Swine).

10/10: To conclude Do What U Want: it might be one off the strongest songs Lady GaGa has ever written, and it's a nice tribute to MJ (R.I.P MJ).

Very thorough take on DWUW. I've under-estimated this song to be honest. Loving the connections you created to Michael; he's my favourite as well. 

MonsterMarty

I'm a MJ stan as well, forgive me for me not remembering everything about MJ. I can change that about the 1993 accusation. So 2005 was the only "real" allegation with 10 cases and the 4 misdemeanors? It's been a while so I didn't know the details anymore. 

But I have to say, Escapism in d--gs is what MJ did eventually to sedate himself from all mental pain during the first accusations in 1993 and the allegations in 2003-2005. And I thought Elizabeth Taylor was the one who tried to get him up out of that mess in 1993. But the love part I will change.

Sorry for being pedantic, but I tend to go on autopilot when it comes to MJ things online. God knows we've dealt with the biggest amount of media and GP hate a star could possibly face.

Yeah Liz Taylor did bring him to England to rehab which (conflicting reports indicate) worked for about two years but then when things went south in his first marriage he began using on and off again, and by 2000 he was addicted to demerol again. You're right, he did take it to sedate himself, but not for the euphoria (hence he was on a substance like propofol by 2009, not morphine. He wanted to feel nothing, not everything/something else). From jury deliberations in 2005 onwards it's been extremely rare Michael appeared on camera when he wasn't on sedatives he was so addicted. Even This Is It footage is almost entirely composed of Michael being out of it.  :cry:

Anyways, back to a positive note: glad another MJ stan lurks on the Gaga forums! I really believe he would have been a big fan of her europop sound, artistry and most of her all respect for what she does.  :)

MelbHawker

Applause 9.5 out of 10?

Gipsy Corny?

I mean LOL

Yes. These are my opinions. Applause isn't perfect. I love it though. Gypsy's growing on me but I just feel as though the instrumental's a little corny in the sense that I feel as if I've heard songs like it before. It's really growing on me though. 

That's the best you can come with Will.I.Am?  :sick:

I appreciate that Fashion! production-wise is clean, crisp and the song is very relaxed. But.. I just feel as though this sort of song is too on-trend in an album that's not trying to follow trends. I just think.. you had 70 songs.. why that one?!

Chromatislaps

Sorry for being pedantic, but I tend to go on autopilot when it comes to MJ things online. God knows we've dealt with the biggest amount of media and GP hate a star could possibly face.

Yeah Liz Taylor did bring him to England to rehab which (conflicting reports indicate) worked for about two years but then when things went south in his first marriage he began using on and off again, and by 2000 he was addicted to demerol again. You're right, he did take it to sedate himself, but not for the euphoria (hence he was on a substance like propofol by 2009, not morphine. He wanted to feel nothing, not everything/something else). From jury deliberations in 2005 onwards it's been extremely rare Michael appeared on camera when he wasn't on sedatives he was so addicted. Even This Is It footage is almost entirely composed of Michael being out of it.  :cry:

Anyways, back to a positive note: glad another MJ stan lurks on the Gaga forums! I really believe he would have been a big fan of her europop sound, artistry and most of her all respect for what she does.  :)

Yes MJ stans for life!!!! I know right, he got way too much slack from the media, and after his passing everyone went hypocrite and supported/loved him again...I hate people like that.  :emo:

On a more positive note: Did you know a new MJ album is on the way? It's mainly produced by Brad Buxer, Prince Michael Durham, Timbaland, & Dr. Freeze. It's slated for release in spring 2014.....I can't wait, i need more MJ music in my life  also there are MJ&Queen collaborations coming early 2014 as well on the new Queen album.... 

MelbHawker

Yes MJ stans for life!!!! I know right, he got way too much slack from the media, and after his passing everyone went hypocrite and supported/loved him again...I hate people like that.  :emo:

On a more positive note: Did you know a new MJ album is on the way? It's mainly produced by Brad Buxer, Prince Michael Durham, Timbaland, & Dr. Freeze. It's slated for release in spring 2014.....I can't wait, i need more MJ music in my life  also there are MJ&Queen collaborations coming early 2014 as well on the new Queen album.... 

Say what?! Are you serious?  :worship:  :cry:

Gypsy is really growing on me guys. I'd give it a 9/10 now. 

Chromatislaps

Say what?! Are you serious?  :worship:  :cry:

Gypsy is really growing on me guys. I'd give it a 9/10 now. 

Yes I am part of the official Mj forums: MJStar.com, ever since MJ's death it's a private forum tho, but we get exclusive news now and then.

MelbHawker

Yes I am part of the official Mj forums: MJStar.com, ever since MJ's death it's a private forum tho, but we get exclusive news now and then.

Awesome! I can't wait. I'm glad this is happening! 

LadyGagaTampon

1. Aura  8/10

2. Venus 8/10

3. G.U.Y 7/10

4. Sexxx Dreams 6/10

5. Jewels n' Drugs 5/10

6. MANiCURE 6/10

7. Do What U Want 8/10

8. ARTPOP 6/10

9. Swine 9/10

10. Donatella 4/10

11. Fashion! 4/10