💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

UK Charts Discussion

WarriorPrince

Featured Posts

Excited she's doing two songs!

As previously mentioned, they really need to remove 'DWUW' from iTunes on Sunday and either (a) release it as a standalone single or (b) leave it off until the album release date.

I suppose it's smarter to leave it off iTunes because it'll debut big in November what with radio and promo on Graham Norton as well.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As previously mentioned, they really need to remove 'DWUW' from iTunes on Sunday and either (a) release it as a standalone single or (b) leave it off until the album release date.

I suppose it's smarter to leave it off iTunes because it'll debut big in November what with radio and promo on Graham Norton as well.

That is true but it would be nice to have a big single on the charts before the album comes out. I guess we will see what they do.

Since gaga is doing two songs, it seems more likely that dwuw will be cut, perhaps removing r. kelly's verse and the second chorus? 

iTunes Update

LnSdygn.jpg

01. Royals - Lorde

02. Counting Stars - OneRepublic

03. You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You - James Arthur

04. Booyah (feat. We Are Loud! & Sonny Wilson) - Showtek

05. Wrecking Ball - Miley Cyrus

06. Roar - Katy Perry

07. Survival - Eminem

08. Afterglow - Wilkinson

09. Bonfire Heart - James Blunt

10. Hold On, We're Going Home (feat. Majid Jordan) - Drake

11. Give It 2 U (feat. Kendrick Lamar) - Robin Thicke

12. Beautiful Life - Union J

13. Can We Dance - The Vamps

14. The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?) - Ylvis

15. R U Crazy - Conor Maynard

16. What I Might Do (Radio Edit) - Ben Pearce

17. You Make Me - Avicii

18. Juliet - Lawson

19. Talk Dirty (feat. 2 Chainz) - Jason Derulo

20. Do What U Want (feat. R. Kelly) - Lady Gaga

21. Berzerk - Eminem

22. Same Love (feat. Mary Lambert) - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

23. Rap God - Eminem

24. Roar - Katy Perry

25. Change Your Life (feat. T.I.) - Iggy Azalea

26. Burn - Ellie Goulding

27. Wake Me Up - Avicii

28. Turn It Up - Sean Paul

29. Disco Love - The Saturdays

30. All Night - Icona Pop

31. Skip To the Good Bit - Rizzle Kicks

32. Let Her Go - Passenger

33. Count On Me (feat. Moko) - Chase & Status

34. Blurred Lines (feat. T.I. & Pharrell) - Robin Thicke

35. Sonnentanz (Sun Don’t Shine) [feat. Will Heard] - Klangkarussell

36. Bonfire Heart - James Blunt

37. Love This Town (feat. Teddy Sky) - Dizzee Rascal

38. Wait For a Minute - Tyga & Justin Bieber

39. We Can't Stop - Miley Cyrus

40. Cheating - John Newman

Bubbling Under

47. Boy Oh Boy - Diplo & GTA

54. Unconditionally - Katy Perry

75. Help Me Lose My Mind (feat. London Grammar) - Disclosure

81. Girls - The 1975

94. Young Volcanoes - Fall Out Boy

VforVendetta

Gaga needs to perform also Applause on the X Factor. Applause will rise and will close the gap between now and the album release when DWYW will be able to chart.

If they remove it from iTunes everyone will buy it illegally and they will lose thousands of sales...

MonsterOfSpain

Why will it not chart though? like why,whats the reason behind it...

Songs from pre-orders are not eligible to chart I think...

If they remove it from iTunes everyone will buy it illegally and they will lose thousands of sales...

Is that why this year songs such as We Can't Stop and Roar opened to huge numbers when they were available for weeks (maybe even months) in the rest of the world? If people have the intent to buy a song they like then they will. If they are in the mindset to illegally download something, they will do so whether it is available on iTunes or not.

Why will it not chart though? like why,whats the reason behind it...

The Official Chart Company have a rule where albums that have songs available as part of the pre-order, like ARTPOP, can only have one song chart before the album is released. So Applause has taken up that quota for ARTPOP.

The reasoning behind this is because they argue that people are actually just paying the price for the whole album when it is ultimately released, and not for the specific single. Even though, obviously not EVERYONE that has bought DWUW has pre-ordered the album. They should, imo, just take out the sales of the song that came from the pre-orders, and base it's chart position on the purchases of the song alone. I don't know why they don't do that.

Is that why this year songs such as We Can't Stop and Roar opened to huge numbers when they were available for weeks (maybe even months) in the rest of the world? If people have the intent to buy a song they like then they will. If they are in the mindset to illegally download something, they will do so whether it is available on iTunes or not.

The Official Chart Company have a rule where albums that have songs available as part of the pre-order, like ARTPOP, can only have one song chart before the album is released. So Applause has taken up that quota for ARTPOP.

The reasoning behind this is because they argue that people are actually just paying the price for the whole album when it is ultimately released, and not for the specific single. Even though, obviously not EVERYONE that has bought DWUW has pre-ordered the album. They should, imo, just take out the sales of the song that came from the pre-orders, and base it's chart position on the purchases of the song alone. I don't know why they don't do that.

I guess there must be the same treatment for album pre-orders vs people buying the singles then doing the complete-my-album later, else it undermines the whole idea of being able to preorder. So in both cases the rule should be that the sales of the songs are included or not-included in the chart. 

Presumably the label can decline to make the album available for pre-order in the UK to preserve the ability of the pre-album singles to chart, but it boils down to the album sales being more important than single sales.

Gaga needs to perform also Applause on the X Factor. Applause will rise and will close the gap between now and the album release when DWYW will be able to chart.

I think because the main purpose of the X-Factor performance is to get people to buy the album, that's most likely by displaying new songs, rather than back-tracking to an old single.

I guess there must be the same treatment for album pre-orders vs people buying the singles then doing the complete-my-album later, else it undermines the whole idea of being able to preorder. So in both cases the rule should be that the sales of the songs are included or not-included in the chart. 

Presumably the label can decline to make the album available for pre-order in the UK to preserve the ability of the pre-album singles to chart, but it boils down to the album sales being more important than single sales.

Yeah I agree totally. But they should definitely be able to separate the number of copies downloaded as part of a pre-order, and the number of copies downloaded individually. Because there are sales of DWUW occurring (not many probably lol) that aren't counting for anything in the end.

*But will it chart after the album is out?

glitterintheair

friday update:

Singles

1 Lorde - Royals *
2 James Arthur - You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You *
3 OneRepublic - Counting Stars
4 Katy Perry - Roar
5 Showtek feat. We Are Loud and Sonny Wilson - Booyah *

6-10
7 Union J - Beautiful Life *
10 Drake feat. Majid Jordan - Hold On, We're Going Home

11-20
13 Ben Pearce - What I Might Do
16 Justin Bieber - Hold Tight *
19 Robin Thicke feat. Kendrick Lamar - Give It 2 U

21-30
21 Ylvis - The Fox
23 Passenger - Let Her Go
24 Robin Thicke feat. T.I. and Pharrell - Blurred Lines
25 Jason Mraz - I Won't Give Up
30 Eminem - Survival *

31-40
31 Tyga and Justin Bieber - Wait For A Minute *
32 Icona Pop - All Night *
34 Sean Paul - Turn It Up *
35 Reconnected - Time Of Our Lives *
38 Taylor Swift - Sweeter Than Fiction * (SHE IS ON XFACTOR NEXT WEEKEND)

Albums

1 Katy Perry - Prism * (40k+)
2 James Blunt - Moon Landing * (30k+)
3 John Newman - Tribute
4 Arctic Monkeys - AM
5 Andrea Bocelli - Love In Portofino *

6-10
6 Passenger - All The Little Lights
7 Andrea Begley - The Message *
9 London Grammar - If You Wait

11-20
11 Lawson - Chapman Square ^
15 Jessie J - Alive
19 Earth, Wind & Fire - Now, Then & Forever *

21-30
22 Emeli Sandé - Our Version Of Events
23 Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines ^
25 Michael Bublé - To Be Loved
26 Rudimental - Home
27 Rod Stewart - Time
28 Bruno Mars - Unorthodox Jukebox

31-40
32 Poliça - Shulamith *
35 Katy Perry - Teenage Dream ^
36 One Direction - Take Me Home
37 The 1975 - The 1975 ^
38 Bastille - Bad Blood
40 One Direction - Up All Night ^

Yeah I agree totally. But they should definitely be able to separate the number of copies downloaded as part of a pre-order, and the number of copies downloaded individually. Because there are sales of DWUW occurring (not many probably lol) that aren't counting for anything in the end.

Good point.  They'll only know after the album is released whether the sale of a track such as DWYW will become to count for an album sale or not.  What should happen then is that the sales of songs when there is an album on pre-order are deferred and count if no complete-my-album takes place, credited say at the end of the week of the album release.  That's certainly no worse than the current situation where the chart is manipulated by some labels holding back digital releases while they get radio to play it for up to a month in advance to bulk up sales on a first week.

Archived