Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

US Charts Discussion - Track "Applause" here!

Americano

Featured Posts

• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dangerous Man

• Klou

• AURA

• Arturo

Top Posters In This Topic

What's payola again?

A method to obtain #1s or force people to listen your *****y songs

Americano

Lets not shade it, lol

ย 

ย 

Lady Gaga will have a radio deal thatll probably go 2 days with her lead single.

Pop Art

Summertime Sadness is being sent to Rhythmic radio on July 23. They're really pushing this single!

nick4bty

paying radio stations to play your song. usually every hour or so.

ย 

No, if they were playing it every hour, then some sort of radio deal would definitely be in place, which is completely fair.

ย 

Payola is paying under the table or in some other way (for example, many of the prizes that radio stations give away have always been thought to have been the product of payola). And it's completely illegal.

ย 

In the case of TBTN, there was definitely no radio deal, so I don't know what's going on.

Pop Art

Oh and it appears that they're sending the original version to Rhythmic, not the Cedric Gervias Remix, which they did for Pop radio.

Gaga might be able to debut at #1 cuz Holy Grail debuted at #4 on Bubbling Under chart with radio airplay (not sure about streaming)

nick4bty

Its not going anywhere on rhythmic, what even :lmao:

ย 

Yeah, I don't understand what Interscope is thinking with this. It couldn't get higher than #35 on iTunes, and it's already dropped to #47. ย  And it's one of the most uncomfortable remixes I've ever heard for a song.

Pop Art

Its not going anywhere on rhythmic, what even :lmao:

ย 

Probably not, but at least it'll get some extra radio play from them. Not much, but some.

Emvee

The pressed-ness and shadiness over Blurred Lines is thick here. :eww:

Or should I say "Thicke?" :derpga:

Edited by Fading

nick4bty

Oh and it appears that they're sending the original version to Rhythmic, not the Cedric Gervias Remix, which they did for Pop radio.

ย 

Wait....are you serious??ย  :lmao:

Arturo

Gaga might be able to debut at #1 cuz Holy Grail debuted at #4 on Bubbling Under chart with radio airplay (not sure about streaming)

Did it? Well Gaga should have way more airplay than that :p

The pressed-ness and shadiness over Blurred Lines is thick here. :eww:

well it's just an undeserving song.

I'd rather have Radioactive selling this much.

Pop Art

Wait....are you serious??ย  :lmao:

ย 

Yep. I hope it does well. It's a good song, and she deserves a breakout hit here. But if it somehow or other blocks GaGa, in one way or another...b---hes will die.ย 

A radio deal is completely legal. When they play a new song at the top of every hour, THAT is a radio deal and it perfectly acceptable by law.ย 

ย 

Payola is secretive and is illegal:ย 

ย 

Payola, in the American music industry, is the illegal practice of payment or other inducement by record companies for the broadcast of recordings on music radio in which the song is presented as being part of the normal day's broadcast.ย ย 

See, it's presented as a normal day's broadcast, thus, disguising the fact that there is any secret payment being done. But radio deals are advertise the song as being played at the top of every hour, showing it as something that sets it apart from the rest of the songs being played and different from the day's normal day broadcast.ย