imogen2133 710 Posted Tuesday at 05:45 PM Share Posted Tuesday at 05:45 PM (edited) So we all know that Joanne is when Gaga "went country" and used a tone in her voice on that album that was more typical of country songs but one thing I have noticed from listening to The Fame through ARTPOP so many times is that that tone (aka a country "twang") is also present on other songs before as well. Now the obvious examples are You And I and BTW Country Version but I think you can also hear it on Fashion! during the bridge and during parts of Dope too. Am I the only one who has noticed this before when listening to her other albums (before Joanne) and if you have, in which songs do you think also have it? Edited 20 hours ago by imogen2133 1 Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Taumaturg0 1,431 Posted Tuesday at 06:32 PM Share Posted Tuesday at 06:32 PM (edited) Twang is necessary for healthy belting, it's always present in some form when a singer has good technique. And Gaga has GREAT technique, it's not always obviously present because she also darkens the sound of her voice by lowering her larynx a bit, but it's there. It's also the reason her upper belting has been sounding birghter for a while, she's mixing more and adding more twang, which makes it easier to maintain that kind of vocals. Edited Tuesday at 06:35 PM by Taumaturg0 1 Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ziggy 14,347 Posted Tuesday at 08:08 PM Share Posted Tuesday at 08:08 PM Gagita can be a very nasal singer and you need some good nasal resonance! I def noticed it, and frankly it's always been there. it's in the intro to alejandro, it's aaaaall over TMB vocals. i imagine it's her comfort zone when she's working really hard physically or isn't super up on her technique as was more the case earlier in her career. but as she refined her voice over the years, she became better at employing that sound into a twang for effect rather than as a sort of crutch she was less in control of. Beyonce was similar early on if you find some of the destinys child or early solo performances and has similarly refined her voice towards greater control. 1 1 Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alxjcgn 2,297 Posted Tuesday at 10:55 PM Share Posted Tuesday at 10:55 PM 5 hours ago, imogen2133 said: So we all know that Joanne is when Gaga "went country" and used a tone in her voice on that album that was more typical of county songs but one thing I have noticed from listening to The Fame through ARTPOP so many times is that that tone (aka a country "twang") is also present on other songs before as well. Now the obvious examples are You And I and BTW Country Version but I think you can also hear it on Fashion! during the bridge and during parts of Dope too. Am I the only one who has noticed this before when listening to her other albums (before Joanne) and if you have, in which songs do you think also have it? Huge country music fan here (don't come for me). While it is a very Americana/Country album sonically for Gaga, her vocals do not really go into any serious country twang besides the sounds we have heard before (which you describe). I do think she would have rally love country voice when using her head voice... I think she gets too guttural when singing deep "country" and that is not a bad thing because it reminds me why I need her to do a hard rock/metal album. In Sinner's Prayer, I hear the most of her trying to sound country (from that album), and it reminds me of not a certain song that also exists in her discography but just sounds she makes in tracks across her albums. Again, all pointing back to my point about where/how I think she would best sing country! 1 Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Featured Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.