opinion

IDGAF about charts or commercial performance

Bambino

Featured Posts

Bambino

I'm not a part of the artist's team

I'm not the artist's manager

I'm not an intern or an employee working for the record label responsible for producing the artist's work

I'm not taking a part of the production of the artist's work

See when an artist drops something, and you happen to be a fan of them, you go ahead and buy it or stream it. It's NO BUSINESS of yours how that production performs commercially and whether people like it or not.

Yes, I do get fans want their fave to be successful, have as many #1s as possible, but we're talking about an established artist here who has said several times that she's in it 'for the music, not the bling,' and who has got a shelf full of prestigious awards to prove it.

She's far, far from being dropped by Interscope for low sales and cancelling tour dates.

You do what you have to do as a fan, go home and cure your disease of this obsession with charts and money. You're not Musk.

yRVZ32V.gif

• Like 3
  • YAAAS 2
  • Thanks 2

Catnikko

same

but there's more attention on people that do here than there is actual people  :air: 

uh ah

Chlorine
2 minutes ago, Bambino said:

Yes, I do get fans want their fave to be successful, have as many #1s as possible, but we're talking about an established artist here who has said several times that she's in it 'for the music, not the bling,' and who has got a shelf full of prestigious awards to prove it.

So it's awards we should be caring about, not charts? :coffee:

• Like 1
  • LMAO 1

Hovering

A few days ago I was talking to a friend who is a huge katycat about how to get over the obsession towards charts, and sadly the only answer is to stop caring about charts whatsoever, not only when they're not in our fave's favour. If we celebrate when numbers are good, then we do care, but we can't automatically stop caring when the numbers are bad. However, the issue seems to come from social media itself, since we tend to associate bad chart performance with ratios on twitter and overall fandom nastiness. I guess this is the reason why it's better to avoid social media and stan twitter.

Edited by Hovering
  • Like 1

Bambino
3 minutes ago, Chlorine said:

So it's awards we should be caring about, not charts? :coffee:

Why? Am I receiving any of these awards any time soon? NO. The line is to say that she has enough awards to show that she's an established artist.

elijahfan

Can't wait to see who will be the next member to open a thread and give their 2 cents...

Rupauls Drag Race Reaction GIF

• LMAO 4
  • Thanks 1

codymonster

This. My other faves are Tove Lo and Marina and their music is FAR superior  to 3/4 of the #1 songs of the past few years. Would I like them to be more popular? Yes. But it doesn’t affect me if they’re not. I still get the music irregardless.

Songs at the top of the chart are not always great music, so let’s stop pretending that great music always is going to end up at the top of the charts.

Edited by codymonster
  • Like 1

bionic

Its nice to have bragging rights from time to time because charts and awards are 'objective' achievements (purely in volume– not in term of merits especially for awards).

BUT it does seem that a lot of people here atm are more focussed on that and not the reality that we're going to get a brand new album of music to listen to and enjoy?

This site is (and tbf always has been) very 'music not the bling (except where convenient)'

buy bionic
  • Like 2

Luna Lovegood
10 minutes ago, Bambino said:

I'm not a part of the artist's team

I'm not the artist's manager

I'm not an intern or an employee working for the record label responsible for producing the artist's work

I'm not taking a part of the production of the artist's work

See when an artist drops something, and you happen to be a fan of them, you go ahead and buy it or stream it. It's NO BUSINESS of yours how that production performs commercially and whether people like it or not.

She's far, far from being dropped by Interscope for low sales and cancelling tour dates.

You do what you have to do as a fan, go home and cure your disease of this obsession with charts and money. You're not Musk.

yRVZ32V.gif

as you should, enjoy the music, enjoy the visuals, Gaga is happy, that’s all that matters at the end of the day 🫶🏼

luna’s advocate

Economy

I agree (sort of)

Commercial success doesnt make a song less good and its not our job to determine promotion strategies (tho we love to give our 2 cents). And to be OVERLY stressed about it is an exageration and not healthy

However, success does affect future budget potentials for eras, potential promo we enjoy etc, not to mention we love to see our fav slay and become an even bigger legend

So while I think those who freak out and stress out excessively need to get a grip cuz its not the end of the world, forgive those of us who do care a bit (to a more balanced degree) cuz we got reasons to still care :neyde:

Edited by Economy
Typo
  • Like 1

Bambino
7 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

Can't wait to see who will be the next member to open a thread and give their 2 cents...

Are you paying for the server?

ZV4FlkC.gif

Future Lovers

All I'm saying is this site has spent the last 4 years talking about Swifties and their chart obsession and how embarrassing they found it. And then wouldn't you know it, as soon as Gaga drops her big pop single....there the Monsters go. Truly no different, no better, no less annoying, no matter how much the fanbase likes to pretend they're not the same as all the other ones. 

• Like 1

Economy
4 minutes ago, Future Lovers said:

All I'm saying is this site has spent the last 4 years talking about Swifties and their chart obsession and how embarrassing they found it. And then wouldn't you know it, as soon as Gaga drops her big pop single....there the Monsters go. Truly no different, no better, no less annoying, no matter how much the fanbase likes to pretend they're not the same as all the other ones. 

I think the biggest criticism is chart manipulation and chart inflation. Our fan base isnt asking Gaga to release 2927911 variants so were not hypocrites

That is a bit different than caring about their singers charts. Almost all pop fan bases care about charts to one degree or another

Edited by Economy

Bronco
11 minutes ago, bionic said:

Its nice to have bragging rights from time to time because charts and awards are 'objective' achievements (purely in volume– not in term of merits especially for awards).

BUT it does seem that a lot of people here atm are more focussed on that and not the reality that we're going to get a brand new album of music to listen to and enjoy?

This site is (and tbf always has been) very 'music not the bling (except where convenient)'

Honestly there's nothing wrong with celebrating a new peak, a number 1 etc.

I just feel sad for the people who aren't letting themselves enjoy Disease because it hasn't had some big commercial success story moment. 

Maybe its just because I mainly listen to a lot of indie acts, older acts & alt acts that don't do well on the mainstream charts. But I just can't get into the mindset some folks have atm where the reaction to an awesome new song by someone they love is "but numbers"

• Thanks 1

Gohan

Preach!

The fact that positive or neutral threads like this get 1 page meanwhile the crybabies wannabe-haters ones get 5 pages each is truly depressing tbh :cyanlights:

It took me a while to realize how easy it is to feed into the negativity when we say we want to avoid it all the time.

tryna go ask Alice, tryna catch that rabbit
  • Like 1