opinion

My honest opinion on this situation

Rahrahbitchson

Featured Posts

Rahrahbitchson

I know we don't need another thread talking about the same thing, but I saw a lot of chaos with Disease's performance on Spotify on its second day.

First I want to say that I have been a Gaga fan since I was 10 years old, when I was captivated by her paparazzi performance in the VMAS, her unique and different way of being at that time was simply fascinating. Gaga gave hit after hit after hit, and her real underperforming began in the middle of Born This Way, if you are a true fan you know that commercially it was not up to par with her previous works, then ARTPOP came along and everyone knows what that moment was like. . 

Jazz was a let down for many fans, and when we finally thought we were going to return to pop after a long period of recession, then Perfect Illusion was released and I'll be honest, i didn't like it and I don't like it, for me that song is not pleasant to listen to, IMO there is a lot of noise and screams in there lol, and for a long wait for her return to pop , i think making that choice of a lead single hurt her even more, Joanne era was not what many fans expected after a long wait and after coming for a period of Jazz... and I think that distanced many fans a lot more, 2 stripped down eras in a row it was just too much. But the concept was not even clear for us fans, we have an album that is about healing her father from the death of his sister but there are songs like John Wayne, Dancin in circles, and then Joanne and Million Reasons, so for me it was a mixup of things that i dont even know what the hell was that era all about. 

I think that in recent years Gaga has been too focused on the artistic side, and she has managed to establish herself as a legend and a respected figure in the industry which is good.

When I heard Disease for the first time I didn't like it and I know that many people think the same, it gave me immediate flashbacks to PI, I remember that when PI came out I just couldn't believe it that was what Gaga came out with after a while of not doing anything pop, then I tried to listen to it several times to force myself to like it because I felt bad as a fan, by listening to it repeatedly I wanted to create a scenario in my mind in which the song was as good as Bad Romance or Poker Face but it just didnt work out for me and clearly for a lot of fans,  and what I would like to say is that there is something in Gaga's vocal part that does not make me digest PI and that has been difficult for me with Disease, I think her voice is very rough, or has those elements that some little monsters call Nasal voice, for example I feel that her voice is sweeter and more pleasant to listen to in songs like Rain on Me or Paparazzi, I don't know if I am making myself understood because I am not a vocalist, but what I want to say is that there are elements in her voice that they become irritable to my ears and I think that happens to many people, for me the same thing happens to Disease as Perfect Illusion.

I think a lot of little monsters are resentful because they don't get to have a proper pop era like Gaga used to do in the beginning, and when they see that Gaga puts a lot of enthusiasm into it or seems happier doing Jazz than when she releases her pop songs, I think the feeling It's worse. And i do understand them, Gaga barely interacts with us, I saw Katy do some lives on Instagram for her fans making them listen to a couple of snippets of her new songs, I'm not saying that she should do a live to share her new songs, but she can do a live to talk about the release of Disease or tell anecdotes about how its creation was, or simply talk about anything, but the simple fact of doing something like this strengthens and creates a bond with her fans, I know that Gaga may not like the toxicity of the internet or from some fans, but there are many of us who just the fact of being able to see her interact for at least 15 minutes with us could mean something nice and special, I see that the Swifties support Taylor a lot, but you can't deny that she creates a bond with her fans. I think fans are not asking for promotion of the song, I think fans want to feel Gaga more present with them,  It doesn't cost anything to do something as simple as a live on Instagram to create a bond or accompaniment, it seems like she just threw the single and that's it. And when it comes to pop it feels like "Here's what you wanted" leave me alone, you don't see the same enthusiasm as with Jazz, and for me that really does make me feel bad. 

I didn't want to make this thread, but I think a lot of people are terrified of going through Chromatica again, that album was Gaga's return to pop since Joanne (and many fans didn't like Joanne either, so it almost feels like her return since ARTPOP and that was a disaster, so it feels like their comeback from Born This Way) and Chromatica didn't turn out as expected either, so I feel like all these people are traumatized and suffering from PTSD.

We still don't know what will happen next or what plans they have, but I think that if this is a "strategy", it is driving the fans crazy. 

Just learn that Gaga has given us many beautiful things and good songs over the years, she could retire today if she wanted and I would still love her, she gave us all a hug with Born This Way and saved many lives with that record, I will love and respect her all my life simply for that. 

She's getting older and things won't be the same, we have to learn to grow up and see things differently, I know we would like different things, myself included, but she's still here, she gave us a song, Rihanna fans haven't had that for years, enjoy your life, enjoy the privilege of having had a lot of fun thanks to this woman. And just be thankful that she still releasing music. 

When you start seeing things from a grateful point of view then everything becomes easier.

Edited by Rahrahbitchson
Quizás bastaba respirar, sólo respirar, muy lento...💙
  • Like 4
  • LMAO 2
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1

SimonBaetens

Oh that did NOT go where I thought it was. I’m sorry you don’t enjoy Disease and a lot of Gaga’s work since Born This Way, but your message at the end is great!

when you're lonely, I'll be lonely too / https://www.last.fm/user/SimonBaetens
  • Like 2

Didymus

Idgi. You're ending this post by saying we should be grateful and all but you also criticize her for not putting in enough effort to bond with the fans, so which is it?

I agree though that fans wouldn't be filling in this uncomfortable void space with paranoia and disappointment if she actually embodied that she is releasing this song mainly for the fans and cares more about their response than the public's. Fans say that in defense of her but she doesn't actually remind anyone of that through her actions. In fact, she's seemed more fixated on winning the general public's approval more than anything else the last few years. So yeah, maybe you're right and people are triggered by this "return to DarkGa" + awkward silence combo.

• Like 2

I agree with this post fully. The fan expectations are very inflated. Gaga is a very private person now and does music she feels like doing. It is now its own little realm. Having said that the quality of her pop output has dropped drastically imho. The other day I heard bad romance in the shop and I was like wow : so explosive, clever and fresh. Disease is none of these sadly. Maybe bit fresh points for her trying something kinda new. It will find its niche for sure, but not in top40. And it’s ok, she doesn’t want top40 anymore

Edited by mic
  • Like 2

Bambino

The tl;dr version of the OP is basically 'if you don't like her new stuff, stfu and go enjoy the stuff she released before BTW and be grateful for it.'

InF2E2p.gif

Rahrahbitchson
3 minutes ago, SimonBaetens said:

Oh that did NOT go where I thought it was. I’m sorry you don’t enjoy Disease and a lot of Gaga’s work since Born This Way, but your message at the end is great!

Oh no, I enjoy ARTPOP, ASIB and Chromatica, I even like a lot of Cheek to Cheek songs, and I like Disease after a few listens, unlike PI, which wasn't the case after constant repeating.

• Like 1

Rahrahbitchson
4 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Idgi. You're ending this post by saying we should be grateful and all but you also criticize her for not putting in enough effort to bond with the fans, so which is it?

I'm not criticizing Gaga, or at least that wasn't my intention, I'm trying to put myself in both of their shoes, because although I know it's been annoying to see many fans complain, I can also understand their feelings, that they want to see their idol more present with them.

Louvre

Disease release has turned out to be a real bummer, I was holding out on saying this but... no one feels amazing about this release. i like the song, I'll listen to the album, I'll continue being a fan but yeah, everything that gaga has done since btw has peeled a layer of fans away from her with each album release. Disease performing worse than stupid love on spotify is pretty damning. I guess she just doesn't really like doing this anymore

• Thanks 3

Ladle Ghoulash

I respect where you’re coming from, but her eclecticism, grit, and versatility have always been the selling points for me. Wasn’t really a conventional Top 40 “pop” fan before Gaga and she was the first pop star I fell in love with for those reasons. IMO, there are so many other pop stars doing the clean, danceable stuff that I think it’s actually very exciting and refreshing to see her do something edgier. 

• Thanks 2

Ronk

My unpopular opinion:  I love that she is multi-talented and excels at various genres and not just pop, and is also an actress.  I think she gets pleasure branching out and exploring many things.  I am all for whatever makes her happy.  As far as jazz goes, she has said she has been doing jazz before pop.  She even won a jazz competition before her pop career began.  When people say she should return to her roots, they refer to her early pop style.  But ironically her roots might actually be jazz.

I live outside the space time continuum.
  • Love 7
  • Thanks 1

LeafBug

I feel my experience mirrored yours word for word. Right now, I’m just happy, excited and grateful we’re starting a new a new era even though Disease isn’t for me (like you, it reminds me of PI and it isn’t easy to listen to). I’m really excited for Abracadabra, Notorious Being and Dance in the shadow. The thing with Gaga is that she ALWAYS delivers when it comes to music because she is so damn versatile! I didn’t like HMH but I love DWAS. Joanne is not my favorite album but there are gems I couldn’t live without like DIC, DH, and JAD. 

And tbh, we don’t know what’s happening behind closed doors or in her personal life, maybe somebody close to her is dying? 

I think we should just let things be and be happy she’s even making pop music. 

Edited by LeafBug
  • Like 1

Ladle Ghoulash
49 minutes ago, LeafBug said:

I feel my experience mirrored yours word for word. Right now, I’m just happy, excited and grateful we’re starting a new a new era even though Disease isn’t for me (like you, it reminds me of PI and it isn’t easy to listen to). I’m really excited for Abracadabra, Notorious Being and Dance in the shadow. The thing with Gaga is that she ALWAYS delivers when it comes to music because she is so damn versatile! I didn’t like HMH but I love DWAS. Joanne is not my favorite album but there are gems I couldn’t live without like DIC, DH, and JAD. 

And tbh, we don’t know what’s happening behind closed doors or in her personal life, maybe somebody close to her is dying? 

I think we should just let things be and be happy she’s even making pop music. 

I’m intrigued by you finding Disease hard to digest, but also being hype for Notorious Being and Abracadabra (which strike me as being more abrasive and left-of-center than Disease). What would you say the difference is between how you perceive those songs is? Is it strictly the vocal delivery? 

• Like 2

Rahrahbitchson
15 minutes ago, Ladle Ghoulash said:

I’m intrigued by you finding Disease hard to digest, but also being hype for Notorious Being and Abracadabra (which strike me as being more abrasive and left-of-center than Disease). What would you say the difference is between how you perceive those songs is? Is it strictly the vocal delivery? 

We haven't heard those songs in their entirety so we can't speak to the difference between them, I'm also very excited to hear the album. "Disease" reminds me of PI in the vocal delivery but also in the "noise". I think it's too rough/raw, or Gaga's voice is so powerful that when she sings loudly or screams it gets a little annoying if she repeats herself constantly, I mean. Just listen to PI after the bridge, the repetition of the chorus in that loud way is just annoying, to be honest, there are similar things in Disease but I can't explain it properly, you just have to understand it, I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees That and it makes me feel understood. I think I find her voice better/more pleasant when she does it softly.

Meruk Holland
1 hour ago, Louvre said:

Disease release has turned out to be a real bummer, I was holding out on saying this but... no one feels amazing about this release. i like the song, I'll listen to the album, I'll continue being a fan but yeah, everything that gaga has done since btw has peeled a layer of fans away from her with each album release. Disease performing worse than stupid love on spotify is pretty damning. I guess she just doesn't really like doing this anymore

Speak for yourself. The only thing I don't like about this release is the fan response. I love this song, the announcement was phenomenal, the teasers got me hyped. Gaga knocked it out of the park on this one, I have no idea where all this negativity around chart performance and streaming numbers and fan service came from.

• Like 2
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 3

2School4Cool
1 hour ago, Louvre said:

no one feels amazing about this release

I do lol, I think it’s a brilliant song and people are severely overreacting, the songs been out for two days and everyone’s made up their minds about the era and its performance. Let’s give her time and be patient

See The Best In Everyone
  • Thanks 4