💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

opinion

Joker 2 is a big hit and a big flop

oheyitso

Featured Posts

JustTea

The movie should've been longer tbh, like 10-15 minutes longer and it would've had time to fit the cut Gaga scenes and develop her character way better. I liked the movie, it didn't feel long, but the ending was a bit sudden to me. :duck:

Hopefully they'll release an extended "encore" version like they did with ASIB... :franminervini:

• Like 1

salty like sodium
1 hour ago, oheyitso said:

some of my thoughts after my second viewing today! contains spoilers 

“Let’s give the people what they want” and Todd Phillips said 🖕

As a piece of commercial filmmaking, this is awful. Who is seeing this? There’s not enough Gaga for monsters, there’s not enough Joker and Harley for comic book lovers, musical lovers don’t want a half baked musical, and it’s bleak and tonally uneven for general audiences. I’m unsurprised it’s failed, this is what happens when you don’t test screen your movies and don’t accept rewrites from the person leading your film division (James Gunn). Big minus points, because as Grace Randolph always says, releasing a movie is mainly about satisfying the audience.

SPOILERS BELOW

But as a piece of art? I think it’s kind of genius. The movie takes the character of Joker, and uses it as a symbol for how society can idolise those fighting against the system, but then quickly drop them when the truth becomes a little too chilling. Arthur Flek is, in some way, a hero for becoming Joker. Once he accepts his abuse is what let him become Joker, he’s disposed for being too vulnerable. This film isn’t saying Arthur is pathetic, it’s saying he’s complicated. ‘Folie á deux’ serves its purpose, as Lee continues the cycle of falling into that same trap. Music as a representation of Lee’s chaos is a stroke of magic, and Gaga shines. 

This is what happens when creatives are let to be creative! But we need business heads too, with some simple rewrites to remove *some* of the music, cut down the first third, and introduce some actual Joker/Harley adventure -  this could have been the movie of a decade. But maybe Phillips didn’t want that - maybe he wanted to be vulnerable - and for that he suffers the same fate as Arthur - stabbed by the people who made him.

(Also Joaquin shouldn’t have sang AT all, his scenes are uncomfortable. Leave Gaga to singing) 

like my review on Letterboxd if u agree with me hehe https://boxd.it/7vqrn9

I liked Joaquin's singing. It's raw, uncomfortable and chilling. Just like the Joker should be. If You Go Away haunts me – and I still haven't seen the movie yet.

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

oheyitso
6 minutes ago, salty like sodium said:

I liked Joaquin's singing. It's raw, uncomfortable and chilling. Just like the Joker should be. If You Go Away haunts me – and I still haven't seen the movie yet.

In the film I feel like it just breaks the rhythm, because it’s uncomfortable, it doesn’t feel purposeful and then makes the audience cringe 

Ivy

Omg Joaquin's singing was beautiful :grr:

The scene near the end with him singing on the phone is one of my favorite scenes, the emotion just comes out in his voice so perfectly :fatcat:

• Like 1
  • Love 2

salty like sodium
2 hours ago, oheyitso said:

In the film I feel like it just breaks the rhythm, because it’s uncomfortable, it doesn’t feel purposeful and then makes the audience cringe 

but isn't the point of the joker as a character to make you uncomfortable and make you cringe... this is a guy who would point a gun in your face and giggle at the same time. unhinged is pretty much what he is ! 

• Like 1

RAYA.core

I will definitely watch it again when it comes out. I did go watch House of Gucci afterwards and I would say it's perhaps a bit better that HoG imo. I mean The ROOM is still a worse rated movie and there's a cult following and a remake to that one. So :tea:

╰☆╼𝙾𝚐𝚗𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚑𝚊𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚌𝚒𝚜𝚖. đ™»đš’đšŸđšŽ 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚱𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚎... ☆╼JOINED November 25 2011
  • Like 3

johnmonster
4 hours ago, Red said:

Or Joker is the Judas of Gaga’s filmography, if I’m allowed 

Or the ARTPOP...