Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
opinion

Lady Gaga playing mostly Villains in her projects

MEM

Featured Posts

MEM

Obviously she has the range for playing darker/complex characters and it might not be something she's interested in, but for my own personal sanity I would love to see her in a romantic comedy or drama, because I know she can do it!

Like can you imagine her in something like Moonstruck? Or Pretty Woman? Or anything Meg Ryan or Sandra Bullock have done. I would just LOVE that.

With The Countess and Patrizia, the anti-hero thing is clear and you're supposed to "love to hate" them, but Ally is the only likeable person for the right reasons. Everybody say thank you Bradley Cooper.

MASSIVE but relevant JFAD spoilers under the cut (seriously I am warning you):

Spoiler

While she absolutely slayed the role, I hated Lee so much. Such a gaslighter and privileged psycho (which was the point I know). That scene of her listening to Arthur's voicemail and holding the gun, I'm like welp it's over, only to next see her on the steps with a haircut and the signature makeup like wtf. Then she just walks away... and survives??? (If this was to leave room for a Harley solo movie, we don't want it)

The hopeless romantic in me was really hoping for a Romeo & Juliet kind of ending to bring home the love story - twisted as it was - but nope. She never cared about Arthur like I wanted her to. :cryga:

My favorite scenes were the ballroom dance (Folie a Deux) and Gonna Build A Mountain sequence because they were giving rom-com/old fashioned musical. They really should have gone all the way with that stuff because even if people hate musicals, they can appreciate a well-performed and executed musical sequence like COME ON. Joaquin even tap dances! All the potential in the world and yet :traumatica:

jacs vs looser

I agree, and would also like her to play a character that is very far from the "villain/anti-hero" trope. Just not a romantic comedy because I don't really like those :awesome:

• Like 2

dit

me too tbh! I want her in a rom com type of film or a psychological thriller where she is investigating something. I love how grandiose her roles have been but i want a smaller more demure role for her for the next project!

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

CautiousLurker

I want her to get eviler :cheeky:

Men are naturally more dominating, aggressive, and logical thinking because we have balls.
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 2
  • Thanks 1

eddyjeddy

lmao i remember someone on here said at the time Ally was a villain 

But in the cultural sense, I just speak in future tense
  • LMAO 4

eddyjeddy
13 minutes ago, MEM said:

Obviously she has the range for playing darker/complex characters and it might not be something she's interested in, but for my own personal sanity I would love to see her in a romantic comedy or drama, because I know she can do it!

Like can you imagine her in something like Moonstruck? Or Pretty Woman? Or anything Meg Ryan or Sandra Bullock have done. I would just LOVE that.

With The Countess and Patrizia, the anti-hero thing is clear and you're supposed to "love to hate" them, but Ally is the only likeable person for the right reasons. Everybody say thank you Bradley Cooper.

MASSIVE but relevant JFAD spoilers under the cut (seriously I am warning you):

Reveal hidden contents

While she absolutely slayed the role, I hated Lee so much. Such a gaslighter and privileged psycho (which was the point I know). That scene of her listening to Arthur's voicemail and holding the gun, I'm like welp it's over, only to next see her on the steps with a haircut and the signature makeup like wtf. Then she just walks away... and survives??? (If this was to leave room for a Harley solo movie, we don't want it)

The hopeless romantic in me was really hoping for a Romeo & Juliet kind of ending to bring home the love story - twisted as it was - but nope. She never cared about Arthur like I wanted her to. :cryga:

My favorite scenes were the ballroom dance (Folie a Deux) and Gonna Build A Mountain sequence because they were giving rom-com/old fashioned musical. They really should have gone all the way with that stuff because even if people hate musicals, they can appreciate a well-performed and executed musical sequence like COME ON. Joaquin even tap dances! All the potential in the world and yet :traumatica:

Wait what was Lee's real motives?

I watched it yesterday but i left the cinema like i was Chromatica track 3 first word

But in the cultural sense, I just speak in future tense

MEM
30 minutes ago, jacs vs looser said:

I agree, and would also like her to play a character that is very far from the "villain/anti-hero" trope. Just not a romantic comedy because I don't really like those :awesome:

Drama is fine too, as long as she is the 'generally good-natured lead'.

27 minutes ago, dit said:

me too tbh! I want her in a rom com type of film or a psychological thriller where she is investigating something. I love how grandiose her roles have been but i want a smaller more demure role for her for the next project!

Oooh I love psychological thrillers! She would kill as a badass FBI character

24 minutes ago, CautiousLurker said:

I want her to get eviler :cheeky:

AHS: Hotel went as far as I can handle rip me

23 minutes ago, eddyjeddy said:

Okay she wasn't ~perfect~ but I wanted to protect her okay

Edited by MEM
  • Like 1

Foxyy
9 minutes ago, eddyjeddy said:

Ally did leave a bad taste in my mouth...very inattentive partner and when she hit back at Jackson, who was struggling with substance abuse, by mocking his dead father...

Though she was played as a normal, and therefore flawed, person. So it's ok!

• Love 1

MEM
18 minutes ago, eddyjeddy said:

Wait what was Lee's real motives?

I watched it yesterday but i left the cinema like i was Chromatica track 3 first word

IMO:

Spoiler

I see her as narcissist who wanted to create a fantasy 'ideal' world for herself, and used Joker's platform to make that happen. Even though she grew up privileged she might have felt out of place and sided more with the rebels. The sad thing is, her education was helpful because she knew how to manipulate a completely broken and abused man to get what she wanted. To answer your question, I believe her general motive was to have all the rebels and psychos take over Gotham City. Could be a massive revenge against her family/people like them, but, yeah.

Edited by MEM
  • YAAAS 1

MEM
7 minutes ago, Foxyy said:

Ally did leave a bad taste in my mouth...very inattentive partner and when she hit back at Jackson, who was struggling with substance abuse, by mocking his dead father...

Though she was played as a normal, and therefore flawed, person. So it's ok!

"Normal" - that's what I was trying to convey in starting this thread!

The dark, complex characters fit her to a tee but Ally was SO refreshing for the mere fact that I felt like I could be her friend. I could relate on a very real, human level. Like how most of us see 'Stefani' when we watch interviews etc.

Like if she can do some 'normal' characters in the next couple of years, I would appreciate it!! :cheeky:

• Love 1

Nessun Dorma

It would be nice to see Gaga in a RomCon just to see her versatility, I’m sure she would be great, but it’s not my kind of movie. I’d love to see her playing a regular woman in a drama movie with a plot totally different from her previous works. Also I think Gaga would fit perfectly in a Tim Burton’s movie. 

• Like 1

RoadToLouis

I guess it has to do with the Gaga persona being very over the top, excentric and theatrical. She has what it takes to make a good antagonist, really. Now that she has shown a bit more of her range, let’s hope that she’ll be offered some different types of characters. 

• Like 1

LateToCult

Forget what kind of character she should play. I just need her to read a complete script and come to a concrete understanding with the director before she signs on to another film. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

StrawberryBlond

On the contrary, I love these dark, gritty roles. They provide the best opportunities for good acting. To put someone of Gaga's acting talent in something like a romcom which requires very little acting ability and isn't taken seriously by awards committees would be a waste of her valuable time. All she'd get out of that would be a nice paycheque but she makes money in so many other ways, so what's the point if the role might not result in high praise and awards? 

The only thing that concerns me is that awards committees famously pay dust to actors in villain roles. They're lucky if they get a nomination most of the time. Notice Gaga missed out on an Oscar nom for HOG and also failed to win almost all her other nominations for the role from other awards ceremonies whereas she got an Oscar nom for ASIB and won more awards for it despite that acting not being as challenging. But the difference was, she was playing a heroine role. I don't get it, playing the role of a villain is one of the hardest things to do, it requires actors to say nasty things to their co-stars, shout, physically fight, maybe even act out appalling things. All of that really takes a lot out of these actors and yet, they're paid dust for it because awards committees naturally feel more connected to the good characters or feel like awarding the villain sends a negative message. Honestly, I find that the villain is usually the best actor in any movie and it's criminal that they get overlooked. So, that's the one big downside of her repeatedly taking on villain roles. 

But if she did play a sympathetic role, a weighty drama that involves her playing a struggling single mother, a recovering addict, an abused wife, anything that would involve lots of crying and emotional weight would be a great string to her bow and show she can play more than singers and sociopaths. 

• Like 1