💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

opinion

Official Joker: Folie À Deux Review & Discussion Thread

RAMROD

Featured Posts

Silver lining: maybe Gaga will pivot and do a low budget actress centric indie art film for her next movie after this seemed to not go perfect, I wanna see her shine in a fresh role

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Reality said:

I mean, I can't really argue with any of that since I haven't seen the film yet.

From what you're saying though, it seems like the role itself is ham-fisted, not necessarily Gaga. As Roughhouse said earlier, do you think the Lee role would've worked better if it wasn't Gaga and instead some other actress? Her being in the cast might've set high expectations for the role.

I think the role itself is ham-fisted.

They could have used any actor. I don’t think Gaga set a high expectation but it was the marketing. It felt like it would be two leads. We would unravel and expand the one dimension we see of Harley, as was done to Joker in the first film. The teaser trailer suggested this. 

Hard to explain without spoiling but it feels like Harley is crazy because she’s just crazy. While Joker is crazy because of what was explained in the first film. We have two villains where one gets unveiled so to speak but the other is still veiled throughout the entire film.

• Like 1

Roughhouse Dandy
30 minutes ago, Reality said:

As Roughhouse said earlier, do you think the Lee role would've worked better if it wasn't Gaga and instead some other actress? Her being in the cast might've set high expectations for the role.

Feeling the need to add nuance to my hypothetical lol

If Lee was played by a lesser-known person, I'm imagining the marketing not rolling her out before they release and maybe not immediately advertise that it's a "Harley and Joker" movie. I don't think I'm spoiling anything here but I'm hiding it just to be safe bc sometimes things get said when I start yappin

Spoiler

Because as impactful as she is to the plot, and as theatrical as the musical sequences are, the script is really about Joker and the reality of his situation. Communicating that to the audience beforehand would've set expectations where they need to be to fully appreciate the film. 

But now I have to repeat how happy I am that Gaga is Lee. Like 

images-5.jpg

Edited by Roughhouse Dandy
This is my Hannah Montana™️ lipgloss.
  • Like 2

Battle 4 Ur Life

guys I just saw the movie. it was cool but I was not ready for that ending. so I’m still a little shook. I definitely like Harlequin a lot more than I liked Joker 2. but it was a good movie. the ending was also a good one for what the movie is all about. even tho I disliked the ending honestly.

but Gaga was really perfect. she did a lot for the movie. her acting is just supreme and effective when she’s doing either drama or musical. it’s all tightly edited and directed. production value is insane obv. movie is probably a hit. and Joaquin was also very very good and it was fun and well made but the whole tone I think it’s even darker than the first. which is funny because when I watched the first one in the theaters I also did not like it that much. but yeah it was really cool for the standalone Joker universe. It’s a really good movie tbh. probably just not one of my favorites because it was gritty to the brim even tho I expected it. but I will definitely rewatch in Dolby when it’s out. I didn’t like my showing in particular so that’s probably influenced a bit my perspective with the movie. it was a bit annoying with somewhat loud people behind me.

but I definitely enjoyed it. it deserves at least a 75 out of 100. I’d give it a 8.

and yes, there is unfortunately a scene from the trailer that’s not in the movie because honestly it makes sense they cut it. I believe someone else said that. the best description for the movie is literally INSANE. and sad. and the scene they cut probably would have turned for the worse. but it has some moments. I liked pretty much all the musical parts.

go see it. it’s really divise because it’s halfway between being an actual deep movie and analyzing moral values and corruption and also something to be in the universe of DC. this movie is the least comic-like one tho.

Edited by Battle 4 Ur Life
“Stupid Love aged like Macallan tho”
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Oh my... only a few reactions here so far and even you guys dislike it... 

I'm scared. 

Edited by Galagala

YourEvilTwin
31 minutes ago, Louvre said:

Silver lining: maybe Gaga will pivot and do a low budget actress centric indie art film for her next movie after this seemed to not go perfect, I wanna see her shine in a fresh role

I honestly don't understand why she hasn't already. One movie every three years does not a career make. Even worse if it ends up a flop because that's three years of wasted time.

Most small to mid budget films take less than two months to shoot. Surely she could've squeezed one if not two of them into her schedule in the last couple of years.

• Like 6

StarstruckIllusion
1 hour ago, Louvre said:

The way its getting mixed reviews even on gagadaily...

This is why I never moved over the critics early reviews

Selena-Gomez-Shrugs-It-Off-While-Eating-

Mixed, but in the good way: you either really like it or hate it. :legend:

Mixed in the bad way is if you find it mid

I just got home from watching the film and I really enjoyed it! There are some things that could’ve been better but overall it was pretty good. I agree with the comments saying Gaga was the best part and there wasn’t enough of her in the film.

It’s funny because she was fantastic in House of Gucci too but that film suffered some pacing and story issues. ASIB remains her best film so far imo, maybe she should star in more Bradley Cooper directed films lol :green:

• Like 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Obobo said:

Gaga was not only under utilized, it felt like Todd not only wrote her as an after thought but it felt like she was randomly injected into scenes— she wasn’t marinated into the storyline at all and it lowkey felt like those cringy celebrity cameos in movies/shows. Not her fault at all, her acting was amazing but if she was removed, the plot would flow better…

Girl, they cut a looot... I can't believe it. We need the Gaga cut, I just can't believe it! A cameo lol and they promoted her role as a lead in the movie :saladga:

I'll laugh if someone sues like some Ana de Armas fans did a couple of years ago because a lot of scenes they used in the trailer are not in the movie and marketing was really misleading

Edited by LG2008
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Obobo said:

SPOILER FREE THOUGHTS:

Just got out of the theatre… I hate to say it but I think the movie was overall terrible — I think it’s the worst film she’s been in. I love a character study like the first one but the main complaints of the critics were true.

- Gaga was not only under utilized, it felt like Todd not only wrote her as an after thought but it felt like she was randomly injected into scenes— she wasn’t marinated into the storyline at all and it lowkey felt like those cringy celebrity cameos in movies/shows. Not her fault at all, her acting was amazing but if she was removed, the plot would flow better…

- but the plot sucks… it felt pointless, it didn’t really bring anything new until the last 15 minutes. The movie didn’t know what it wanted to be.

- The flow of the story was random and edits were jarring. It tried to be genre bending but it just felt like random scenes in injected in this dull courthouse drama.

I agree with so much of this. To me ASIB was definitely the best movie she did overall then HoG then FAD (which is unfortunate since I really disliked HoG on the first watch).

And the edits?? The weird fade to blacks. Abysmal.

Well……I have wanted her to play this role for as long as I can remember and after seeing the first Joker I couldn’t imagine her not in this world. But leave it to Todd Phillips to **** it up. Honestly, she is 1000% cast as a marketing tool and her involvement in the movie seems to be proof of that. It makes perfect sense now why Todd and Joaquin were more than ready and wanting to have his wife play the character because the character is basically inconsequential to the overall plot and the only reason there are 50 minutes of screen time for Lee is because Gaga is the one playing her. With a smaller name actress it wouldn’t be anywhere near that amount. 

After HOG and FAD, it makes me wonder if she is really being offered great acting opportunities like everyone assumes she is. I think Gaga picks projects that on paper are perfect for her and then doesn’t give up until she has secured it. This is clearly a case of her and her team negotiating with Warner Bros to be included in the film and Todd just adapted it a bit to cater to having a bigger star in the film.

This final product doesn’t seem to be a project that was worth 3 years of her career. After seeing the film and comparing it to what we know she wanted to do with the character and all the extra scenes from pap pics, I think Harlequin is her own way of showcasing some of what was left on the cutting room floor and satisfying herself due to the effort she put into the movie. I don’t believe for a single second that Todd ever intended to have to deal with a female lead on screen and give them a full fleshed out performance. 

• Like 5
  • YAAAS 1

Just saw it and wow I loved it. People are going to hate this movie though lol. The whole theater just sighed and slowly walked out when it was over lol. Lots of dudes that liked the first movie in my showing. 

I'll add that the idea of the film is probably lost on people that just want action and to see "the joker" do his joker stuff. I thought it was really thought-provoking.

It's almost like the director saw how young men misinterpreted the original and loved the character and wanted to make sure those people didn't like this movie. It kind of gave me a thrill that the young men in the audience didn't like it. The joker is a bad person and you shouldn't identify with him. And now they don't 🥰

Edited by SEANGT
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

• River pinned this topic