💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

opinion

Official Joker: Folie À Deux Review & Discussion Thread

RAMROD

Featured Posts

Saw it last night and it's a great movie. It definitely has a dark, brooding vibe like the first movie but the musical elements largely work. I can see why it's not for some, but I loved seeing Gaga truly immersed in her character and not appearing as Gaga at all despite singing and having outlandish looks. She is such an incredible talent and it's so cool to see her peaking in acting, singing, writing, and just general artistic output all at the same time. Critics reviews can be nice validation and many praise Gaga specifically, but they don't change the fact that she's the only artist of this generation who can do what she is doing :pawsup:

• YAAAS 1
  • Love 8
  • Thanks 1

MessyTop

After seeing the movie….. only thingI’m gonna say is: I hope she and her team do a better job of picking scripts and movies for her. After HoG and this fiasco she needs to reassess what she wants to do with her movie career, this was a huge let down and not the best career move. I think the Harlequin album was a way to save the era/movie from what it is, glad she did it her way. :kiss:

Edited by MessyTop
  • Like 7
  • YAAAS 1

GagasEnigma4
4 minutes ago, MessyTop said:

After seeing the movie….. only thingI’m gonna say is: I hope she and her team do a better job of picking scripts and movies for her. After HoG and this fiasco she needs to reassess what she wants to do with her movie career, this was a huge let down and not the best career move. I think the Harlequin album was a way to save the era/movie from what it is, glad she did it her way. :kiss:

My thoughts exactly. And I am really sad to say that bc I was so excited. I feel Todd did her dirty by cutting certain scenes. I also saw no character development about why she was the way she was, or the shared madness between the two.

• Like 4

Luna Lovegood
8 minutes ago, MessyTop said:

How is her performance in the movie regardless of her being severely under utilised? 

luna’s advocate

Ashley
7 minutes ago, MessyTop said:

I watched an interview with Todd where he said he only gave Gaga half of the script because it wasn’t finished yet, so she pretty much had to make a decision on an unfinished script. I don’t know if that’s something that’s normally done or not.

• Shook 1

GagasEnigma4
5 minutes ago, Luna Lovegood said:

How is her performance in the movie regardless of her being severely under utilised? 

Yes. Gagas perfomance was great, one of the best parts of the film. But the film left me disappointed (and I have been super hyped since the casting announcement 2 years ago). Her and Joaquin were fantastic. It was the writing/editing/ lack of Lees character development and the madness for two thing that did it for me

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hyperobject
12 minutes ago, InTheCloset said:

I swear to god todd needs to ****in die

you’re okay? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

InTheCloset
10 hours ago, crushedlemonice said:

I don't see what promo WB has done that would cost $400 million in additional required to break even?

Everyone is saying this

Where's the spunk, Adam?

Reality
18 minutes ago, InTheCloset said:

I swear to god todd needs to ****in die

This is a lot of emotions for a movie :triggered:

𝐼 𝒥𝒰𝒮𝒯 𝒩𝐸𝐸𝒟 𝒜 𝒟𝒪𝒮𝐸 𝒪𝐹 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝒢𝐻𝒯 𝒮𝒯𝒰𝐹𝐹
  • Thanks 1

RadioIsOurs
10 hours ago, crushedlemonice said:

I don't see what promo WB has done that would cost $400 million in additional required to break even?

All that money went to convincing Gaga to record a jazz cover album :icant:

• LMAO 1

InTheCloset
8 minutes ago, Reality said:

If mother is in it its not a movie. Its a phenomenon which these dumb directors are destroying

Where's the spunk, Adam?

InTheCloset
15 minutes ago, Hyperobject said:

you’re okay? 

No:traumatica:

i had high hopes for the movie and Gaga’s awards noms

Where's the spunk, Adam?

KikiLoohoo
7 minutes ago, Reality said:

I don’t mean this as a personal attack or to fuel anything. Just that it’s funny because this is EXACTLY what this film is cautioning against: We, as a society, being so ready to idolize or wish death upon people. The extremes. The strong opinions. The death to this, long live to that. The quick judgements of individuals we know NOTHING about ( a la Chappell Roan). The TONS of emotions and baggage we bring to small things thanks to the internet. Life does imitate art :)

• Like 3

KikiLoohoo

I’m not here to toot my own horn. Simply wanted to say that you should ABSOLUTELY consider seeing the film for yourself. It’s the kind that no one can tell you to like or dislike. Only you can and you will potentially feel one way and change your mind about it. Without getting too in depth, it’s definitely art and that means thought provocation. IF you’d like to read more on my thoughts, here’s my review on Letterboxd (which I didn’t feel like posting in full here): https://boxd.it/7sehKL

Hope you enjoy it if you go see it. I know I was very discouraged to go based on some of the strong opinions in this thread, so just wanted to say listen to your own heart and mind 🥰

• Like 5
  • Love 4