question

Exploring MARINA's discography

Head Empty

Featured Posts

Head Empty

I never got into MARINA's discography, but recently found a few songs that I like (Ancient Dreams, Bubblegum Bitch, Are You Satisfied?). So now I plan on going through her discography chronologically. 

Do you guys have different recommendations? Things I can expect or things I should prioritize?

Happiness will never last, darkness comes to kick your ass... ‎ ᵃˢˢ 🕺
  • Love 8

Jenina

The nice thing about MARINA is that she has songs that are so different from each other so if you find yourself disliking one thing it's likely there's a different one in her discography you'll love

cool
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Cello

My personal favourite albums are Family Jewels and FROOT, but Electra Heart seems to be the fan fave 

do i need to understand a pineapple to eat a banana
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Starmie25

FROOT (title track excellence)

I'm a Ruin

And honourable mention to the kooky, jungle anthem that is "Mowgli's Road" 

:tony:

Edited by Starmie25
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

VTV

What I did when I was new to her music was listen in chronological order. It helped me understand her as an artist.

My fave album is Froot. No skips.

The Lady and the Legend coming soon.
  • Thanks 1

The Fame Monster

I’d definitely recommend starting with Marina’s debut album, The Family Jewels, and going from there. It’s got a quirky, bold vibe with lots of indie-pop flair. If that’s a bit too indie for you, check out Electra Heart. It’s full of catchy pop bangers about love and heartbreak. Next up is Froot, which kind of brings her back to her roots but with a cool, retro twist. Love + Fear might not be every fan’s top pick, but it still has some great tracks that explore life’s ups and downs. And finally, there’s Ancient Dreams In a Modern Land, which has some of my current favorites like the title track and “Purge The Poison.”

Find your freedom in the music
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

SimonBaetens

I think The Family Jewels for sure is the best place to start! And FROOT is probably closest to it in sound if you're looking for similar vibes. Electra Heart is very upbeat and glossy, think Sucker by Charli but more pop, typical second album syndrome where all of a sudden big ticket producers are involved - but man, what an album. Just very different from the rest of her catalogue. Love and Fear has some beautiful moments on it. The messages are profound but can sound a bit cheesy when heard in sequence so be aware of that. Ancient Dreams is a return to form of sorts, lots of good songs that hint back at previous albums while still sounding fresh.

when you're lonely, I'll be lonely too / https://www.last.fm/user/SimonBaetens
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SonOfAphrodite

You are going to have so much fun! :saira: Marina is so versatile and creative it is hard not to fall in love, definitely look at the lyrics because the song may be bangin but she will be talking about some serious topics. Marina really  does know how to use the duality of having a good time but also self-aware/socially aware. Electra Heart is a concept album which sets it apart from her other albums and I would definitely recommend watching the videos for that album, they are parts that tell the story of the character Electra Heart. My favorite album is FROOT I think it perfectly encapsulates who Marina is and how great of an artist/songwriter she is. The Family Jewels is also so good! Mowgli's Road is one of my all time favorite songs. Have a good time getting to know her world! I wish I could discover her for the first time again :holdmyhand:

• Thanks 1

AndiGaga

Happy by Marina is my favorite song of all time. It helped me so much during hard times, listen to it! :heart:

Other gems:

Purge the Poison

Electra Heart

Primadonna

Bubblegum Btch

FROOT

Solitaire

Weeds

Savages

• Thanks 1

chun li

Marina used to be my tricon altogether with Gaga and Lana they were like my holy trinity :heart:

I'll never forget painting my whole house listening to Family Jewels 

I'd definitely recommend going chronologically but also giving yourself time to digest each album as they lasted a long time for me!! Electra Heart literally lasted me a whole summer, FROOT has some eternal gems. 

• Thanks 1

Stamos
1 hour ago, Head Empty said:

I never got into MARINA's discography, but recently found a few songs that I like (Ancient Dreams, Bubblegum Bitch, Are You Satisfied?). So now I plan on going through her discography chronologically. 

Do you guys have different recommendations? Things I can expect or things I should prioritize?

Froot,

Mowgli’s Road

Forget

Teen Idle

Emotional Machine

To Be Human

Purge The Poison

are some of my personal faves! Feel free to DM for more! I’ve been a Diamond since 2010 and I had the honour to meet her twice in person! ♥️

• Thanks 1

Gardevoir

The Family Jewels is like very indie-pop based, then you’ve got Electra Heart which is a concept album about Marina playing women’s archetypes. I recommend you to watch the whole journey on her YouTube, cause it’s nicely connected.

You may find a little bit of a shallowness in the lyrics on this one, but the thing is as I stated before, she plays a character on this one. And it’s more of a satire.
It’s the typical scenario when her label probably wanted her to explore more commercial sound, but she put her own twist to it and treated it as a satire. 

Then Froot, which is like a little comeback to the roots. It’s very melodic and pop oriented. Love + Fear is her ventour into more commercial sound. And Ancient Dreams in a Modern Land is a step back from this.

And one of the things I love about Marina is her lyricism, cause she almost always talks about really important subjects in her songs. Like depression, social injustices etc.

Edited by Gardevoir
Sugar, spice, and everything nice.
  • Thanks 1

HelloHangoverz
2 hours ago, Head Empty said:

Ancient Dreams is her best album imo

`${'📅' * 5}`.repeat(10) + ' Batman!';
  • Thanks 1

bpmMonkey

Uff, I love Marina. Got really into her music 10 years ago with Froot. I remember my sister one day said she always thinks of me and my then bf whenever she listens to Blue and how offended I was back then haha

you truly can’t go wrong with any of her music, L+F is one of my favorites of hers, don’t know why so many people dislike it, maybe because the amount of songs, at least that’s what took me back initially, but there are for sure stellar songs on it. 
have funnnnn xx

• Thanks 1

RickMonster98

Listen in order and keep us updated:firega:

My fav Marina tracks are:

I'm not a robot - Happy - Immortal - Primadonna - I'm a ruin - Believe in love - Ancient dreams - Purge the poison

• Thanks 1