press

Gaga's Italian voice actor praises her acting in Joker

TimotheeChalamet

Featured Posts

TimotheeChalamet

I stumbled upon this interview with Benedetta Degli Innocenti, a voice actor who worked on the Italian dubbing for AHS, A Star Is Born and House of Gucci (I think).

Here, she's praising Gaga's acting in Joker and elaborated on the process to match her exact tone of voice while dubbing her. 

https://x.com/massyscalinci/status/1834562250973061350?t=AzEfUQMbsdSagVr2kuOFdg&s=19

Here's the translation: 

Q: "This is Lady Gaga's great return with Harley Quinn, everyone has great expectations from her. What can you tell us without getting fired?" 

A: "I can tell you that she's been amazing. For real." 

Q: "Could that also be linked to the fact that the movie is some kind of musical?" 

A: "No. I was surprised by her acting. She was super into it, believable and comfortable with the role. And her character is full of black humor, I didn't expect that. Even Max Alto [the dubbing director] told me before recording: be careful, because she is so good in this. There is one particular thing that I can tell you without revealing too much: in this movie she is often acting with a weak, almost crooked vocal register. Almost voiceless. So before each dubbing session, without caring about my own well-being, I repeatedly screamed in a pillow and chainsmoked like 8 cigarettes every day. Basically I was using the one I was putting out to light up the next one."

Q: "That's some good health advice" [jokes] 

A: "No, but it's more important to do a good job with these things. [...] I did this to honor her commitment to the role. Max Alto told me I had to find that type of voice and so I did." 

I though some of you would find this interesting, while waiting for greater things to come among the billionth album ranking poll and the whining about charting for songs we haven't heard yet.

X

Edited by TimotheeChalamet
  • Like 6
  • YAAAS 6
  • Love 15
  • Shook 4

RAMROD

Intriguing knowing how few of Gaga fans will see the movies dubbed :enigma:

Thankful for the voice actor to try so hard to replicate the vocla register. Hope the Italian fans will enjoy the movie :applause:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

TimotheeChalamet
Just now, RAMROD said:

Intriguing knowing how few of Gaga fans will see the movies dubbed :enigma:

Thankful for the voice actor to try so hard to replicate the vocla register. Hope the Italian fans will enjoy the movie :applause:

Usually the Italian dubbing is excellent so I'm not worried. Every time Gaga is dubbed there's a strange feeling though lol I'm too used to her real voice. Also I've discovered that the movie comes out 2 days earlier in Italy. 

• Love 1

Nessun Dorma
1 hour ago, TimotheeChalamet said:

So before each dubbing session, without caring about my own well-being, I repeatedly screamed in a pillow and chainsmoked like 8 cigarettes every day. Basically I was using the one I was putting out to light up the next one.

I’m shocked by the her level of commitment to this job! 

• Like 1

TimotheeChalamet
1 minute ago, Nessun Dorma said:

I’m shocked by the her level of commitment to this job! 

Yes! It's like when they did the original voice overs for The Exorcist, where a lot of smoking and alcohol were involved 

dit

Wait…this is actually so touching and beautiful and kind :diane: thank u Benedetta 

• Like 1

Nessun Dorma
34 minutes ago, TimotheeChalamet said:

Yes! It's like when they did the original voice overs for The Exorcist, where a lot of smoking and alcohol were involved 

I didn’t know that! The work of a voice actor seems really demanding, I almost feel bad now for never watching dubbed movies :laughga:

TimotheeChalamet
Just now, Nessun Dorma said:

I didn’t know that! The work of a voice actor seems really demanding, I almost feel bad now for never watching dubbed movies :laughga:

Yes, I guess it depends on the country though. Italy has a very well trained habit of dubbing, once I was watching a Korean movie with English dubbing and it was abysmal. 

PunkTheFunk
2 hours ago, TimotheeChalamet said:

without caring about my own well-being, I repeatedly screamed in a pillow and chainsmoked like 8 cigarettes every day.

Sounds like an average Gagadaily user's Friday night

• LMAO 1

Nessun Dorma
45 minutes ago, TimotheeChalamet said:

Yes, I guess it depends on the country though. Italy has a very well trained habit of dubbing, once I was watching a Korean movie with English dubbing and it was abysmal. 

In my case I think it’s because I prefer to listen to the actors’s own voices. Of course there are bad dubbing and when it happens it spoils the fun! And I’m so used with subtitles that it feels weird watching a dubbed movie. But I might watch Joker in Italian at some point, cause Benedetta really got me curious! 

• Love 1