celeb

Pharrell Breaks Silence on 'Energy' Pay Controversy

phantasmas

Featured Posts

phantasmas

GrovexLegos10385-copy-EMBED-2024.jpg?w=1

Two years ago Beyoncé removed the interpolation of Kelis’ “Milkshake,” which you wrote and produced with Chad Hugo, from her Renaissance track “Energy” after Kelis aired her grievances on social media. Did you ever speak about that with Kelis?

(Makes a “no” sound.)

Have you and her talked at all?

(Makes a “no” sound.)

No?

(Makes a “no” sound.) I wish her the absolute best. But I wrote this song.

You’re saying you don’t have to get her approval to do anything with the song?

Not on “Milkshake.” It was me and Chad [who] produced it.

SOURCEhttps://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/music-news/pharrell-williams-interview-lego-documentary-piece-by-piece-collaborations-1235996237/

Edited by phantasmas
TikTok: pizza_smoothie; Tumblr: officialparishilton; Twitter; eddie9k
  • Sad 1

bionic

Pharrell will never let the Kelis songs go because it'll open up floodgates for all the other times he betrayed female artists. He's a scumbag

buy bionic
  • Thanks 4

Controversiaga

But it’s was HER vocals he used 

I get it if he wanted to sample his own production and instrumental elements

but you put that woman’s voice on the song without even letting her know 

putting forth this concept it’s okay to say “well I own the vocals she recorded and I can do whatever I want with them , she has no say and doesn’t deserve to be informed “ 

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”
  • Thanks 1

phantasmas

quick recap:

Kelis has previously accused Pharrell of unfair pay for her work on "Milkshake" along w/ several other songs

Beyonce attempted to credit Kelis on 'Energy' as she interpolated "La La, La La, La" on her recent album Renaissance but the royalites were not going to Kelis 

sidenote: to interpolate in this sense means to re-rerecord or rearrange (not to be confused w/ sampling) a song/melody/etc meaning that Beyonce most likely re-recorded those "La La" adlibs 

Kelis then called out Bey for not doing her research on where the $ for "Milkshake" was going 

Beyonce removed the Milkshake interpolations so that ultimately no one could really cash out on it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Controversiaga
3 minutes ago, phantasmas said:

quick recap:

Kelis has previously accused Pharrell of unfair pay for her work on "Milkshake" along w/ several other songs

Beyonce attempted to credit Kelis on 'Energy' as she interpolated "La La, La La, La" on her recent album Renaissance but the royalites were not going to Kelis 

sidenote: to interpolate in this sense means to re-rerecord or rearrange (not to be confused w/ sampling) a song/melody/etc meaning that Beyonce most likely re-recorded those "La La" adlibs 

Kelis then called out Bey for not doing her research on where the $ for "Milkshake" was going 

Beyonce removed the Milkshake interpolations so that ultimately no one could really cash out on it 

Oooooooh I thought it was kelis’s vocals being sampled 

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”
  • Love 1

phantasmas
20 minutes ago, Controversiaga said:

Oooooooh I thought it was kelis’s vocals being sampled 

Kelis could have still been layered in but we wont really know until we get a BTS from Miss Honey B. + her team :holdmyhand:

Edited by phantasmas
  • YAAAS 1

doja scat

sorry but he’s a spineless rat that screwed over multiple women in the industry. 

don’t get stabbed with the (b)rat tooth
  • Like 1

robotvoiceinalice
45 minutes ago, bionic said:

Pharrell will never let the Kelis songs go because it'll open up floodgates for all the other times he betrayed female artists. He's a scumbag

never forget how he butchered sweetener, that album was not salvageable

• Like 1

bionic
48 minutes ago, clownery said:

Can someone dm me the original Energy with the milkshake interpolation?

its not noticeable at all

buy bionic