celeb

Chappell Roan on Republican family+friends

ThisGuyTony

Featured Posts

Ladle Ghoulash

Bad faith interpretations of this comment coming in 3…2…

Edited by Ladle Ghoulash
  • Like 5
  • LMAO 2
  • Thanks 4

ActualPatient
7 minutes ago, Ladle Ghoulash said:

the slippery slope to conservative -> maga -> n*zi

im tired of it. can't bring people to your(our) cause if you don't have empathy or the human decency to understand where they're coming from and have human conversations.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

lastpopicon

unrelated, but I love her look & outfit on that pic :giveup:

The melody that you choose can rescue you
  • Love 1

faysalaaa
6 minutes ago, RenegAde said:

I wonder if conservatives have these same conversations.:huntyga:

Well they dont talk about weather they love a Democrat family member, because most of them dont really have an issue with Democrats. But they do have conversations around loving your Gay or trans family member, and how complicated it is considering their religion.

Edited by faysalaaa
  • Like 3

HelloHangoverz
13 minutes ago, Ladle Ghoulash said:

I'll start:

Is Chappell Roan a NAZI?

sometimes he saw his real face, and sometimes a stranger in his place
  • LMAO 6

Emvee

True I guess growing up POC on the coast did make it much easier to avoid political differences. At least I never really ever knew if an acquaintance was conservative because I just naturally gravitated towards people who weren’t going to judge me for being gay, Hispanic, and poor lol. There were just too many non-starters. Must be nice to be able to navigate around those huge differences in values and still consider someone a close friend. 

And not saying it’s bad to try to break down that barrier! But that barrier is harder for some than others. Obviously. I’ve lived long enough to not be so naive. 

Edited by Emvee
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

killme89
Just now, Emvee said:

True I guess growing up POC on the coast did make it much easier to avoid political differences. At least I never really ever knew if an acquaintance was conservative because I just naturally gravitated towards people who weren’t going to judge me for being gay, Hispanic, and poor lol. There were just too many non-starters. Must be nice to be able to navigate around those huge differences in values and still consider someone a close friend. 

You ate , sadly only a few will ever understand this feeling. 

• Like 2

Bebe

I know there is an understandable reaction from some people against this and I get it. Seeing some twitter comments like:

“Wow quintessential embodiment of white feminism“

“So she has no problem with being associated with racist and transphobic people?”

“But why have we normalized to choose such friends?”

Etc. Etc.

They are not wrong per se, however I think the hard work in trying to unite such a fearful and divided country is in trying to reach out to the other side with compassion and understanding.

The more we “other” each other, the more divided we become and the more we retreat to our echo chamber bubbles to be further radicalised.

When you listen to the stories of those who have been de-radicalised from cults like Westboro Baptist Church or from far-right wing extremism they talk about how they turned away from their extremism, not because of those that chastised and isolated them, but because of those that showed them kindness and showed them how “unscary” the other side is.

We aren’t going to solve the issue of extreme political division by insulting people and pushing them further away. I appreciate it’s a difficult and maybe impossible task for some to associate with people whose views may cause pain and bring up trauma but it’s important work for those that can.

It doesn’t mean you don’t challenge offensive views or perspectives when they arise, it doesn’t mean you don’t call it out - it’s even more important that you DO challenge these ideas with loved ones as it’s your voice that is going to cut through more.

• Like 6

HelloHangoverz
4 minutes ago, Emvee said:

Well she only mentioned family. The article introduced the word "friend" when she made no use of the word friend. For friends, maybe it would be different, depending on the context. But family, especially when you grow up around it....the woman that birthed you, breastfeed you, loved you gave you all your issues etc is not easily distilled into a two dimensional "trumpy" concept in your head, nor should she be. 

Edited by HelloHangoverz
sometimes he saw his real face, and sometimes a stranger in his place
  • Like 4

NATAH

our ability to have empathy, understanding and being able to listen is what sets us above the hateful, evil and uneducated but that can only go so far

mother, what must i do?
  • Like 4

King of the Fall

Oh shocker, she does not automatically despise a family member because they vote differently than she does. How terrible of her🙄

Edited by King of the Fall
He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and shadow and he is a great favorite
  • Like 2

Agunimon

Out of all the spaces I am in where there is mostly far left people, Gaga Daily is by far the most sensible and understanding when it comes to this particular topic. I am so pleased seeing the responses here and in that Taylor thread.

I got so hated on because I made a post on another predominantly far left space that said the last thing we need is to create more divide within our own allegiance of social understanding and beliefs in politics to shame and outcast someone for even daring to have a friend on the other side. 

Even worse is that, conservatives are not all equal to being a Trump follower, or someone who is hateful or racist or homophobic.

That is such a knee jerk assumption to make. 

Most of my dad's side of the family (apart from him) are conservative and think Trump is a complete sham and dumbass. They all also put more of an effort to communicate with me and keep me in their life than I ever do for them.

Like, the people on that site I was on WANT us to be further divided even among likeminded individuals. Its sad. I should not be surprised considering they ban people who even suggest they are not 100% likeminded with politics.

Edited by Agunimon
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

gagzus

Not gonna lie as a person who tbh privilege and now power, I get she doesn’t wanna isolate an audience (maybe there’s some republicans who don’t know she’s a community member and made songs about lesbian love) but come on now.

As a white gay man who has POC friends all backgrounds and trans friends, you hate my friends and wanna hurt them, then you don’t get my respect 

• Thanks 1