Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
celeb

'A Star Is Born' Chappell Roan for Rolling Stone

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Plastic Flower
1 hour ago, SHALLOW said:

Honestly i can't see it. To me she looks like she's more influenced by Drag Queens and gay culture in general. Also her sound is nothing like Gaga's; her songs sound more like something T Swift would release imo. So i really don't get the comparison but glad you found a new artist you like 

There's only one song that could very well belong to Swift. 

Drop it
  • Like 3

Bronco
1 hour ago, SHALLOW said:

Honestly i can't see it. To me she looks like she's more influenced by Drag Queens and gay culture in general.

I mean considering how much of modern drag is influenced by drag race, which features a **** load of actual fashion designer pieces now and given Gaga's impact on gay culture. Like I don't get how people can't see the OG Fame era links. 
The drag queen comparisons is literally so Gaga coded for the OG Fame days, I mean there's a reason the media started saying Gaga was a man.

SHALLOW
17 minutes ago, Bronco said:

the OG Fame era links

In terms of what? Cause the style and music are very different. 

She became famous very suddenly buy still I don't think her imagery is as iconic as Gaga's. Like, with The Fame i have a mental picture of the era, the style etc... But this Chappell girl doesn't really have an iconic look, something that makes me immediately think of her. Her style is just random stuff. Her music sounds a bit generic tbh and definitely not very bold or innovative so i genuinely wonder what are the similarities with Gaga. Not criticizing, i just want to understand

SHALLOW
34 minutes ago, Plastic Flower said:

There's only one song that could very well belong to Swift. 

Hot to go gives me ME! vibes

• Like 1

Monstermilo

i hate that ppl are saying shes the new LG as if lady Gaga isnt charting higher than her right now on the hot 100

Bronco
11 minutes ago, SHALLOW said:

In terms of what? Cause the style and music are very different. 

She became famous very suddenly buy still I don't think her imagery is as iconic as Gaga's. Like, with The Fame i have a mental picture of the era, the style etc... But this Chappell girl doesn't really have an iconic look, something that makes me immediately think of her. Her style is just random stuff. Her music sounds a bit generic tbh and definitely not very bold or innovative so i genuinely wonder what are the similarities with Gaga. Not criticizing, i just want to understand

The style is different, but the background and context of the styles are the exact same origins. And that's gay nightlife. 

I genuinely don't think there's a world of difference between 2008 Gaga on the Fame and 2023 Chappell on Midwest Princess. Both producing pop music, nothing to experimental at that time. Themes about queerness, partying, love & sex. Yes there is a difference between Gaga's full career and now, but a lot of people are talking about the similarities to The Fame era for Gaga. 
The DIY styling, the self funded/minimally funded music videos pre-mainstream success, the queer club punk spirit. All of that is there. 

I disagree that her style is random stuff. I do think some of her outfits are costumey but a lot of that is because her rise to success has been rapid so the backlog of outfits reflects the prior levels of income as an artist. But there's a definite contiguous stylistic choices imo - high camp showgirl imagery, lots of homages to gay culture and queer style. Plus she's been pretty much locked in on the red curls combined with the Vaudevillian stage makeup of a white base combined with the heavy rouge. 

I don't think Gaga & Roan sound the same, I don't think they'll have similar career paths. I very much doubt we'll ever see a Chappell Roan "Joanne" album etc. But part of Gaga's meteoric rise in the Fame era, a large chunk of the appeal was Gaga had that fire in her and the attitude to back it up and fought her way there. 

Chappell Roan, certainly to me and many others, has that same punk-esque fire & flare. She advocates for herself, she put a **** tonne of graft into the Midwest Princess that a lot of other indie acts or even label backed acts simply dont. She brings something exciting to the current generation of pop which I don't really feel from a lot of the others personally. 

• Like 1

ARTPOPKISS
3 hours ago, ChicaSkas said:

She can call me if she's with it

She is with it :ohwell:

F@ggotry at its finest

King of the Fall

I don't think the Gaga Chappell comparisons have much weight outside of the fact that they are both self made artists who had to do the grind in the old school way before achieving fame.

Musically and aesthetically they are very different artists, Gaga rose to fame with a calculated game plan and performed like she always knew she was a superstar. Chappell just sorta fell into fame and has despised the attention that comes along with it. Gaga wanted to be a global icon, Chappell only ever cared about building a queer audience 

Edited by King of the Fall
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

CharlieQuinn

I feel like her VMA performance will be Gaga inspired!! Something like the Paparazzi performance or an homage to Gaga :excited2:

Didymus

lol this insistence some people have to compare Chappell to Gaga just shows how little they expose themselves to or care about other artists. It is literally just as unnecessary and delusional as people who somehow read FameGa as the new Madonna.

Chappell has been clearly inspired by the whole range of pop stars of her youth and a host of other artists in different fields, just like Gaga was when she debuted. People just tend to be so shocked to see an actually talented and interesting person launched as a mainstream pop figure that they instantly have to pretend they know where they came from.

The biggest difference between them is that Chappell does not present herself as a character and barely even as a self-conscious artist. She has rejected the idea that she plans her outfits and even songs as meaningful statements. Her approach is way more emotionally direct and grounded in everyday experience than anything Gaga ever made.

It would be just as "insightful" and half correct to compare Chappell to early Katy, who she has explicitly referenced as one of her inspirations, but you will never see LMs validate that route lol.

Edited by Didymus

Helxig

I adore how Gaga treats the younger generation of popstars :fatcat:  she acts as a loving mentor. No trace of jealousy, competition or pride

She would never plot moves to block them from a number 1 just to stay on top herself after decades of success

She would never call them 'reductive' and have them taunted by the world

She would never work with a known abuser of her peers to desperately try and have a comeback hit

That's why we chose her!

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

ChicaSkas
1 hour ago, Helxig said:

I adore how Gaga treats the younger generation of popstars :fatcat:  she acts as a loving mentor. No trace of jealousy, competition or pride

She would never plot moves to block them from a number 1 just to stay on top herself after decades of success

She would never call them 'reductive' and have them taunted by the world

She would never work with a known abuser of her peers to desperately try and have a comeback hit

That's why we chose her!

This !!! She actually truly cares!!! 

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk
  • Like 1