Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
question

Dr. Luke honest question

Nycboy

Featured Posts

chromaticainmyhead
10 hours ago, PropaGaga said:

Doja signed to Luke months (possibly even a year?) before Kesha's allegations came out. He had very little to do with her career until she started blowing up nearly 5 years later.

Luke's credit on "Kiss Me More" was added after the song came out. The original press release does not have him credited. The producer, Yeti Beats, all but confirmed Luke had nothing to do with it in a DM with a fan. That's on top of Doja's own comments saying that Luke would often be added to the credits of tracks he didn't work on. She said she hadn't worked with him for a while and didn't see a future where she felt she needed to again. She was later forced to retract this statement. Fast forward to Scarlet, and Luke has no credits on that album or its follow up EP, Claude, because Doja sold off the rights to several songs on Planet Her that Luke was not involved in and allowed him to claim credit for them.

And nobody is looking to Nicki Minaj, who is married to a convicted rapist and murderer, to be some sort of moral compass. That's why she's not being asked about it.

The reason why Katy is being dragged is likely less to do with Luke and more to do with the fact the songs sound like they were pulled from a hard drive of demos from 2014-2016. I don't think anyone would care if the songs were actually good. But they are underwritten and underproduced. If you're going to throw your morals away, at least make sure the songs are bulletproof. There's also the fact that Katy has an actual history with Kesha, going back to before Kesha even had an album out, and she testified in her trial. She previously stopped working with Luke because of the ongoing litigation, and as soon as the case was settled, she immediately ran back to him.

Thanks for clearing things up. It sounds like the music industry is a spider web of people who profit off Dr Luke so that's why he's so heavily guarded. On one hand it could also be that Katy is dependent on third party people directly related to Dr Luke's income that are not in front row publicly but more behind the scenes people in different firms. I'm no insider but given this is such a massive industry with so many different interests and artists who try to outdo each other on chart performances I guess someone like Katy who still has a class A following and the potential to land a world wide hit is a figure which is pandered to by a lot of people still, an easy target to be put under pressure to work with Luke again. That could be my only explanation to somehow justify working with him but I highly doubt that actually is the case. She gives me vibes of someone who is quite cynical about morality especially when you look at her humor. She'd be the perfect industry puppet who just does things so she earns her paycheck regardless of whether her art has any meaningful things to say or are just plain dumb songs, which now, is exactly the case. 

fan-tas-tique, chic, freak, slaaaay

monketsharona
9 hours ago, PropaGaga said:

To be fair, this is also a myth lol. Kim Petras signed her contract with Luke's record label in 2021, 5 years after she had already been freely working with him. Maybe she regrets it now, but she was warned from the beginning and constantly pushed back at anyone who dared criticize her.

Fimp0woXEAAJ4qG?format=jpg&name=large

Not to defend her but she trully tried to work with different people on her album. Most of the material under Luke from her released recently are actually old stuff Slut Pop 2.0 being a collection of what she recorded tied to the first one, Problematic being a scrapped old project. 

Feel like it's more a question of her number of projects she's tied with him and need to release for deal purpose. Future will tell I guess

Teletubby
45 minutes ago, monketsharona said:

Not to defend her but she trully tried to work with different people on her album. Most of the material under Luke from her released recently are actually old stuff Slut Pop 2.0 being a collection of what she recorded tied to the first one, Problematic being a scrapped old project. 

Feel like it's more a question of her number of projects she's tied with him and need to release for deal purpose. Future will tell I guess

she is on Katy's album on song produced by Luke, she was also recently on City Girls' Flashy produced by Luke. If she was on bad terms with him, he would not have put her on these collaborations. 

Windowlicker
5 hours ago, monketsharona said:

It was actually executives at Republic who tried getting Kim in with other producers, because they were well aware of how being tied to Luke has been a hinderance to her success (which begs the question why they even gave him a home for his new record label in the first place, but that's a whole other conversation). There was a brief moment when she released "If Jesus Was a Rockstar" where they seemed to actively be distancing her from him, but of course that didn't last very long.

6 hours ago, chromaticainmyhead said:

Thanks for clearing things up. It sounds like the music industry is a spider web of people who profit off Dr Luke so that's why he's so heavily guarded. On one hand it could also be that Katy is dependent on third party people directly related to Dr Luke's income that are not in front row publicly but more behind the scenes people in different firms. I'm no insider but given this is such a massive industry with so many different interests and artists who try to outdo each other on chart performances I guess someone like Katy who still has a class A following and the potential to land a world wide hit is a figure which is pandered to by a lot of people still, an easy target to be put under pressure to work with Luke again. That could be my only explanation to somehow justify working with him but I highly doubt that actually is the case. She gives me vibes of someone who is quite cynical about morality especially when you look at her humor. She'd be the perfect industry puppet who just does things so she earns her paycheck regardless of whether her art has any meaningful things to say or are just plain dumb songs, which now, is exactly the case. 

Luke owns a publishing company called Prescription Songs, which also has its own management division, etc. So you are correct. It's a spiderweb. So many writers and producers and artists are signed to this company, even without working with Luke directly. More often than not, they do end up in on his sessions for other artists, though. And you'll often see them in the credits across several different songs and albums. But there are rare cases, like with Ethel Cain (who signed to Prescription in 2020 and had no idea Luke owned the company), where the artist does not vibe with him at all and they don't end up working together:

IN EARLY 2020, through the emo-rapper Lil Aaron, an online collaborator, Cain was introduced to the staff of Prescription Songs, the independent music publisher and record label owned by the pop super-producer Dr. Luke. On her first trip to Los Angeles, Cain showed up at the company’s shiny building “looking like an absolute hillbilly,” she said. But her nearly manic creative energy and works in progress wowed them, and they offered her a deal.

“Inbred,” an EP that was Cain’s first official release last year, showed pop potential on arch, deadpanned tracks like “Crush” and “Michelle Pfeiffer.” But her enduring vision of “Preacher’s Daughter” was immovable, and Prescription promised her complete creative freedom even as it has tried to gently guide her career.

“Every person that I put her in the room with, she loved meeting them, but none of it felt authentic and true to her,” said Marlee Kula, Cain’s A&R executive at the company, who was responsible for setting up songwriting and studio sessions. “None of those ideas ended up making the record.”

That included Cain’s only meeting with Dr. Luke, a polarizing figure in the industry in light of his ongoing court battle with the singer Kesha over accusations of sexual abuse. (Cain said she didn’t know he owned the company until after she signed. “I’m not Googling CEOs when I’m eating a candy bar,” she said. “I was unemployed and it was a pandemic. I didn’t have the option to turn down money.”)

The two are unlikely to end up more intertwined. “He sent some music — God, I hope he doesn’t blacklist me for saying this — but he showed me some demos and was trying to do some stuff in his studio,” Cain said. “I was like, yeah, boss man, sure!”

“I went in the booth and I did some stuff,” she recalled. “He was like, simplify it, simplify it, stop doing so much embellishment! But I was doing the stuff that makes my music my music. He was like, make it catchier! And I was like, OK, this sucks. This is not going to work.”

Cain paused, considering her words. “Creatively, I have no need for him,” she said. “But I have no need for anyone."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/11/arts/music/ethel-cain-preachers-daughter.html

Also, yes, Katy actually outright said the only reason she stopped working with Luke before was because she knew she would get dragged for it. It's in her deposition from the trial:

Screenshot-2024-09-10-at-9-48-48-AM.png

Screenshot-2024-09-10-at-9-49-09-AM.png

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/ViewDocument?docIndex=7IytLm1YIcrK4lCs/7xvDw==

• Like 1

Oriane
1 hour ago, PropaGaga said:

Also, yes, Katy actually outright said the only reason she stopped working with Luke before was because she knew she would get dragged for it. It's in her deposition from the trial

That makes the current situation so much worse for her. She just started working with him again because she thought that people stopped caring, as if it was some silly gossip. And that's a clear statement that she supports him.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams
  • Like 1

Sneaky Oliver

Honestly Nicki is kind of immune to cancel culture at this point, she has done much worse things than working with Luke

Katy has always been an easy target. I think she did the wrong thing working with him but I also feel bad for her, the amount of hate she’s getting is insane. The industry always needs someone to bring down and she’s been that one person they choose over and over again to attack since the Taylor Swift feud 

And no, Woman’s World and Lifetimes are not on Teenage Dream or Prism standards let’s be real

In the land of gods and monsters, I was an angel living in the Garden Of Eden
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 1

Sneaky Oliver
1 hour ago, PropaGaga said:

Katy actually outright said the only reason she stopped working with Luke before was because she knew she would get dragged for it. It's in her deposition from the trial:

But I don’t think she meant like she stands by him no matter what, it was obvious that working with him while the trial was going on could harm her or anyone’s career at that moment 

If only he was considered guilty, maybe she would have dropped him for good. I think we should ultimately blame the American law 

In the land of gods and monsters, I was an angel living in the Garden Of Eden

Windowlicker
9 minutes ago, Sneaky Oliver said:

But I don’t think she meant like she stands by him no matter what, it was obvious that working with him while the trial was going on could harm her or anyone’s career at that moment 

If only he was considered guilty, maybe she would have dropped him for good. I think we should ultimately blame the American law 

Well, Katy is also good friends with Luke and stood by him privately throughout the entire trial. She just never did so publicly. His wife has posted photos of them at her Vegas show, as well as Katy with his kids. It's beyond just a business relationship. 

F-RHH5FW0AEuixw.jpg:large

F-Qz2EhWUAAFkiE.jpg:large

Edited by PropaGaga
  • Sad 1

Teletubby
On 9/10/2024 at 6:31 PM, PropaGaga said:

Well, Katy is also good friends with Luke and stood by him privately throughout the entire trial. She just never did so publicly. His wife has posted photos of them at her Vegas show, as well as Katy with his kids. It's beyond just a business relationship. 

F-RHH5FW0AEuixw.jpg:large

F-Qz2EhWUAAFkiE.jpg:large

these photos are  from the time she was working with him on 143 after he and Kesha reached a settlement in his lawsuit against her, and doesn't mean Katy supported him during the entire trial. 

Edited by Teletubby

King of the Fall
On 9/9/2024 at 11:20 PM, ALGAYDO said:

Off topic kinda, but I’m still so baffled by the fact that Katy fúcking Perry is the definition of “flop” right now when she used to be the definition of “success” not that long ago lmao :icant:

She has not had a successful album rollout since Prism and even that one you could see the cracks starting to appear. She has been flopping for ages now. Witness broke her streak of success, Smile confirmed she was a thing of the past and this new album will be a big nail in the coffin for her hopes of ever making a meaningful comeback

Edited by King of the Fall

Hyoha
On 9/9/2024 at 6:41 PM, Nycboy said:

Katy is being held to a different standard and it’s honestly sad to see this destroy her career

There are 3 things that are incorrect in your assessment.

1. Doja, Nicki and Kim Petras definitely did get heavily criticized for collaborating with him, but their sales were unaffected.

2. Katy has been flopping HARD since Witness came out, so if her career’s destroyed, it’s been in ruins for at least 6 years.

3. It’s not sad, it’s deserved.

Her flops have nothing to do with her collaborating with Dr. Luke. The GP doesn’t care at all about him, unfortunately. He’ll keep making successful records with other artists if something doesn’t change.

Katy has been failing because people got tired of her. Everyone knows she’s a bad singer, her run on American Idol has been absolute cringe as well as her public persona since, like, ever.

Edited by Hyoha
  • Thanks 1

Windowlicker
On 9/14/2024 at 7:08 AM, Teletubby said:

these photos are  from the time she was working with him on 143 after he and Kesha reached a settlement in his lawsuit against her, and doesn't mean Katy supported him during the entire trial. 

She said in her deposition said she wouldn't do so publicly because she feared getting dragged. Same reason she decided not to work with him. It is very well known that they were and remained friends throughout the duration of the trial. This is also reflected in the fact that key members of Katy's team have championed Luke for years publicly, as recently as after her VMA performance. It was clear they set this era up to be just as much of a comeback for him as it was for her.

This is from 2020, from Katy's A&R:

VARAK.png

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/dr-luke-back-doja-cat-say-so-kesha-1234605151/

and this is him again this past week:

IMG-4842.png

Edited by PropaGaga

GagaTheExplorer

Lets be for real

Katy would have survived this just like Nicki, Doja or Kim Petras if

1. Her music was undeniable great (which isnt, it's a atrocious at best)

2. The song's topic wasnt about feminism (here is where Dr Luke's production gets way too hard to ignore [the hypocresy])

3. Katy is a main pop girl (that brings more media attention to her choices)

It's over for Katy, she killed her career, this time aint turning point

• Like 1

Teletubby
46 minutes ago, PropaGaga said:

It is very well known that they were and remained friends throughout the duration of the trial.

do you have evidence of this?

HermesGr

Et and Dark horse was truly good songs. Also Unconditional n fireworks n a lost chance of Legendary Lovers (my fav of hers).. beside of them, after all this years, its clear for me she lucks taste. She was lucky to start in a time that this goofy candy girl style was the thing but she cant refind her artistic persona i m afraid. Maybe a new management an a huge musical turn style will save (something) in the future but i don't expect much.

Edited by HermesGr