💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

other

Billboard: How digital album sales are affecting the race for #1

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

Following a week in which the top spot on the Billboard 200 was decided by fewer than 1,000 units, digital album sales strategies are taking center stage.

Travis Scott was nearly able to erase Carpenter’s mile-wide streaming lead thanks to digital variants that cost just $4.99, the minimum price for chart eligibility (he sold 300,000 digital downloads).

And these duels have spurred the latest round of music industry conversations about whether artists and labels are trying to game the charts — or take advantage of their most devoted followers.

This tactic has been around for years: Release digital variants near the end of the week; sell them cheap; polish off a rival; tout the accomplishment.

These face-offs demonstrate how far labels and artists are willing to go to try to get that top spot.
Getting a No. 1 demonstrates that labels still have the ability to move the needle.  Most prominent artists want to top the chart as well, though they may be loath to admit it.  And scoring a No. 1 can then serve as a springboard, creating a domino effect of other opportunities, whether that’s working with brands or getting significant press.

When asked about this practice, one of prominent managers would say only that “it’s ironic that the institution which is allowing the problem to exist is reaching out for a quote.” (“Billboard is always reviewing, in consultation with Luminate and the industry at large, what sales channels are included for chart eligibility, and has updated its policies when necessary based on market behavior,” said Billboard‘s executive vp of charts and data partnerships.) 

On the other hand, some label executives believe that digital variants help create eye-catching first-week totals and race-to-the-finish-line dramas that are good for the music industry. 
Digital album sales can make a difference in close chart races. Swift released additional digital variants when she went head to head with Eilish and against Ye and Ty Dolla $ign‘s Vultures 2 in August.

“Does it enhance the fan experience, or does it actually lessen it? I think it’s manipulative.” says one major-label A&R.

Edited by Teletubby
i ❤️ @Julianlittlem

artdoll

I think it takes away from the overall accomplishment. Having a #1 album or song doesn't seem as special or significant now because an artist (or their label) could release multiple versions of the same song or album and snatch the #1 spot. It just becomes a game to see who has more fans willing to spend money rather than the song/album actually being so well received that it earned the top spot.

Most people probably don't recognize a lot of songs in the top 10. Mostly due to streaming allowing you to personalize your music consumption, but I think that speaks volumes on how streaming and other means of staying on the chart proves how its lost its significance in the grand scheme of things imo.

。゚☁ glued up, sometimes it's too much ☁ ゚。
  • Like 5

artdoll
2 minutes ago, artdoll said:

because an artist (or their label) could release multiple versions of the same song

but also i love music so i'm not gonna sit here and complain if my favorite artist drops an acoustic version or a slowed version because i genuinely enjoy that :ladyhaha:

• Sad 2

River
2 minutes ago, artdoll said:

I think it takes away from the overall accomplishment. Having a #1 album or song doesn't seem as special or significant now because an artist (or their label) could release multiple versions of the same song or album and snatch the #1 spot. It just becomes a game to see who has more fans willing to spend money rather than the song/album actually being so well received that it earned the top spot.

Most people probably don't recognize a lot of songs in the top 10. Mostly due to streaming allowing you to personalize your music consumption, but I think that speaks volumes on how streaming and other means of staying on the chart proves how its lost its significance in the grand scheme of things imo.

we love her

Just now, artdoll said:

but also i love music so i'm not gonna sit here and complain if my favorite artist drops an acoustic version or a slowed version because i genuinely enjoy that :ladyhaha:

flop

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta
  • LMAO 1

artdoll
2 minutes ago, River said:

we love her

flop

:rip:

i should've worded it differently. I don't enjoy the chart manipulation aspect of it, but from a place of genuinely enjoying music I actually enjoy a GOOD acoustic version and the occasional slowed version. (but typically you can find both online made by fans, most of the time sounding better than the official release.) :ladyhaha:

• YAAAS 1

Anderson123

It is manipulative but artists are playing by Billboard's own rules so what are they going to do lol.

• Like 1

artdoll
2 minutes ago, Anderson123 said:

It is manipulative but artists are playing by Billboard's own rules so what are they going to do lol.

This is also a great point, sure they might be doing manipulative scummy things to stomp on another artist's chances but they're also doing what billboard gave them the okay to do.

so i guess it becomes the lesser of two evils? :oprah:

• Like 1

LaLa
27 minutes ago, Teletubby said:

When asked about this practice, one of prominent managers would say only that “it’s ironic that the institution which is allowing the problem to exist is reaching out for a quote.”

Speak on it queen! Billboard allows manipulation, people will work within the rules. 

I personally think they should tighten up a lot of stuff, all of these slightly different covers, one different song on five "different" "varients" are bullsht. 

One regular edition, one delux for albums. One regular song, one remix. That's all you get imo

• Like 1

Alfonso

#1 used to be about popularity and recognition, nowadays it’s all about sales. Like someone already said, most of the songs that are on the top of the charts aren’t really well known and if we’re speaking of Taylor, they’re there because of all the variants she puts out. 

edit: I guess what I’m trying to say is that back then it was organic sales and nowadays it’s all manipulated 

Edited by Alfonso

NATAH
35 minutes ago, Teletubby said:

On the other hand, some label executives believe that digital variants help create eye-catching first-week totals and race-to-the-finish-line dramas that are good for the music industry. 

because it helps make them more money bye :rip:

mother, what must i do?

River
30 minutes ago, artdoll said:

:rip:

i should've worded it differently. I don't enjoy the chart manipulation aspect of it, but from a place of genuinely enjoying music I actually enjoy a GOOD acoustic version and the occasional slowed version. (but typically you can find both online made by fans, most of the time sounding better than the official release.) :ladyhaha:

we love her again :giveup:

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta
  • Love 1

artdoll
2 minutes ago, River said:

we love her again :giveup:

:heart: :giveup: Sorry! I didn't mean to cause a misunderstanding.

• Love 1

Gohan

Lemme just say I'm happy true talent (Billie, Gaga) aren't doing them 20+ editions the others are doing and just stick to maximum 5-6 which translates to them somehow playing the Billboard game but remaining true to their visions which is clearly Music Not The Bling-Ah :icant:

tryna go ask Alice, tryna catch that rabbit
  • Like 1