music news

Sabrina Carpenter releases new version of her album with bonus track

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Rat Boy
1 hour ago, Flippy said:

Cardi B Popcorn GIF

I want to say something homophobic to create more drama.

"I am a Walmart version of Rat Boy!” - River
  • LMAO 2

Schizophonic
2 hours ago, Real Panda said:

I'm kinda surpised with Billboard about this since they are always updating their metrics to get with the times. When Gaga's Born This Way album was discounted they implemented a price rule after but somehow doing over 20 variants of an album by 1 or 2 different bonus tracks is somehow okay. 

They should limit how many additional variants an album can have. Just make it 3-5 maximum. If the tracklists are not 90% and up the same from the original/standard, then it should count as a different album.

its not that easy... if you want to limit variants... what about rereleases? what about 10 years versions" ect ? they can not limit that but they might can limit whats counted for charts

NATAH
14 minutes ago, Bronco said:

I mean Music charts are nothing but a capitalist notion that the person who sells more is better. 

If you care about music charts but complain when acts use the music market to get the best of the charts for themselves - why do you care about the charts? 

Every single person in the Top 10 has bought that slot. Radio payola, paid for Spotify autoplaylisting, paid promo on TikTok, paid influencers, album variants & timed releases. 

Chappell Roan is obviously a case of an organic rise to fame for example, but the numbers she's pushing out at the moment are because Island has invested heavily in physical variants to exploit her sudden increase in fanbase. Multiple anniversary repressings of her album on Vinyl & a 7" of Good Luck,Babe have all been brought out in the last 2 weeks. 
Same with Sabrina's rise coinciding with Spotify's new autoplay feature. 

I do think Taylor's marketing team take the piss. But its just because she's got a bigger fan base anyway that the results of it are so stupid. Every artist's team pulls the same tricks, they just also spend more time trying to hide it. 

tbh i was more confused about that user saying taylor isn't cheating the system than how actual charts work :messga:

mother, what must i do?
  • LMAO 1

Teletubby
14 minutes ago, Rat Boy said:

I bought 100 copies of Morgan Wallen's album this week

wow.gif

My red fur tastes like Coca~Cola My eyes are wide like 🍒 pies I gots a taste for men who are married
  • LMAO 1

Bronco
4 minutes ago, Schizophonic said:

its not that easy... if you want to limit variants... what about rereleases? what about 10 years versions" ect ? they can not limit that but they might can limit whats counted for charts

Arguably the solution would be to limit the number of variants in a specific period e.g only count X variants in release week. And could easily not count digital variants where only 1/2 new songs get added but allow digital variants where an EPs worth (4+) of songs was released. 

• Like 2

Real Panda
8 minutes ago, Schizophonic said:

That was my point. Obviously Billboard cant control how many variants and artist releases. My point is counting towards the charts.

I'll edit my post so its clearer.

• Like 3

plane jane
2 minutes ago, Bronco said:

Arguably the solution would be to limit the number of variants in a specific period e.g only count X variants in release week. And could easily not count digital variants where only 1/2 new songs get added but allow digital variants where an EPs worth (4+) of songs was released. 

I’d say don’t count variants with no new songs, like remixes, acoustic live performances shouldn’t be considered as a different version of an album imo. 

• Like 2

Bronco
30 minutes ago, plane jane said:

I’d say don’t count variants with no new songs, like remixes, acoustic live performances shouldn’t be considered as a different version of an album imo. 

My only reservation with this is it's not uncommon for artists to release big anniversary editions of their major works and I think it's almost worth allowing these to chart as a way of measuring how relevant/popular some major albums can be after a decade or multiple ones. 

Like Green Day are have 2/3 variants available ahead of the American Idiot 20th Anniversary (who else feels old right now lol) and 90% of the bonus content is demos and live performances. But it's a big box set with clear effort put into it. 

By comparison, Madonna is currently releasing all of her albums sequentially on remastered Silver LPs with no new content or demos & live performances. Just as a "collectible". And I don't think they should be counted on the charts because like you say, what's being gained by the consumer? 

• Like 2

TEETHTEETH

Releasing a deluxe version is fun and no shame in that. 
releasing the same album 50 times to the same people is shitty. At some point it shouldn’t count. She’s a billionaire and even if it’s the same fans buying the same album, she is treating her album like stock and using cheap methods to manipulate charts. She’s so desperate she could be doing the same numbers without any fans by using bots and buying her own albums. Single handedly topping charts being her only fan. Should it still count because she’s a billionaire buying her position?? If Elon was doing the same thing, there would be an uproar. 

plane jane
9 minutes ago, Bronco said:

My only reservation with this is it's not uncommon for artists to release big anniversary editions of their major works and I think it's almost worth allowing these to chart as a way of measuring how relevant/popular some major albums can be after a decade or multiple ones. 

Like Green Day are have 2/3 variants available ahead of the American Idiot 20th Anniversary (who else feels old right now lol) and 90% of the bonus content is demos and live performances. But it's a big box set with clear effort put into it. 

By comparison, Madonna is currently releasing all of her albums sequentially on remastered Silver LPs with no new content or demos & live performances. Just as a "collectible". And I don't think they should be counted on the charts because like you say, what's being gained by the consumer? 

oh, definitely! I mean, it's one thing to release a special anniversary edition with remixes, live performances and demos to celebrate the album's legacy. but what we've been getting these past few years is the same album with countless versions each having one (!) song with a different instrumental or a remix added to it, like that's a scam lol. if labels (and artists) want to play dirty then Billboard should play by their rules, make different charts for standard albums, target exclusives, remixes, bonus tracks variants, color vinyls etc! 

I personally don't have a problem with labels pushing as many versions as they want, I won't police how grown adults spend their money, what I don't like is how labels abuse the system,

if big artists don't care how these variants perform, they wouldn't mind if they stopped being counted towards Billboard 200, right? lol.

also, I just hate how wasteful this whole industry is, like people buying multiple CDs to secure a number one debut just to throw them away the next day. 

• Like 1

weed

good for her she looks happy and healthy

• LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 1

plane jane
1 minute ago, weed said:

good for her she looks happy and healthy

omg i see what you did there, babe... :brat:

• LMAO 1

weed
1 minute ago, plane jane said: