OUT NOW!
series

LOST MEDIA: 90s Anime US Adaptation, Unearthed

OliviaRodrigoStan

Featured Posts

OliviaRodrigoStan

Independent journalist Ray Mona, who previously found Sailor Moon's long lost US pilot, for a cancelled live-action/american-animation hybrid project: 

Has now found yet another lost pilot, for a similar 90s project. The elusive footage for "Star Storm", an americanized live action take on the japanese cult classic, Saint Seiya, has been finally published, in full: 

Last year, Ray Mona found ANOTHER lost pilot, while in the search for Star Storm, of a different Saint Seiya project that was canned, called "Guardians of the Cosmos":

An incredible find, given no one even knew that project existed at all. For those unfamiliar with the franchise, Saint Seiya is an 80s classic in the shounen genre, famous for its depictions of graphic violence, mythological references, and its inclusion of "gender non-conforming" characters. 

4b54e42f16e4c15d3deb7df0d87932bb.jpg

As someone who is obsessed with both Sailor Moon, Saint Seiya, AND lost media, I can't believe this girl keeps finding these gems :giveup:. If you love retro anime, or you're simply curious about lost media, don't hesitate to check out Ray Mona's channel, she's a queen 🩷 

TB-mona-ray.jpg

HEART OF EVER-FROST
  • YAAAS 3
  • Love 3
  • Shook 2

OliviaRodrigoStan
12 minutes ago, Donatellah said:

We love to see lost media getting found :holdmyhand:

SAME, IDK why it is a subject that fascinates me so much, but I'm obsessed with it :giveup:. And this particular content creator is on a streak. 

She also found a lost "Mean Girls" videogame, that was heavily searched for:

At this point, she's the only one I trust to find the most mysterious song on the internet :bradley:

It's probably the piece of lost media that consumes me the most :giveup:. Watch it be a hoax in the end :stupidoreo:

HEART OF EVER-FROST
  • Shook 1

PartySick

I distinctly remember catching some of that American Sailor Moon show :messga:

The 90s were weird and I'm juuuust old enough to remember them :messga:

OliviaRodrigoStan
1 minute ago, PartySick said:

I distinctly remember catching some of that American Sailor Moon show :messga:

The 90s were weird and I'm juuuust old enough to remember them :messga:

The story behind it is very fascinating. Because of Power Ranger's success, Renaissance Atlantic had a lot of american adaptations in development, for Japan's hottest titles at the moment (Sailor Moon, Gundam, Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball, etc). The video I shared above is the "official" Sailor Moon pilot, that they presented to TOEI to legally adapt the franchise for the US market. 

When TOEI rejected the pilot, they decided to instead rip-off the idea, and made a new pilot, plagiarizing the concept instead, with minor alterations to avoid a lawsuit :air: (all of this admitted by the company's CEO Frank Ward). So they produced a pilot for a "new" show called "Team Angel", that was basically a bootleg Sailor Moon: 

The project was ALSO cancelled, but I know I would've been obsessed with it as a child, if it was released, I'm sorry but the opening is giving yassified Power Rangers, it's cvnty :giveup:

HEART OF EVER-FROST
  • Love 1

Donatellah
30 minutes ago, OliviaRodrigoStan said:

SAME, IDK why it is a subject that fascinates me so much, but I'm obsessed with it :giveup:. And this particular content creator is on a streak. 

She also found a lost "Mean Girls" videogame, that was heavily searched for:

At this point, she's the only one I trust to find the most mysterious song on the internet :bradley:

It's probably the piece of lost media that consumes me the most :giveup:. Watch it be a hoax in the end :stupidoreo:

Oh mama let's not speak about lost wave because we need this masterpiece

• Shook 1

OliviaRodrigoStan
1 minute ago, Donatellah said:

Oh mama let's not speak about lost wave because we need this masterpiece

What kind of russian Xuxa is that :giveup:. Have you seen the lost wave song that was found in an adult film? :laughga:

The song is actually so good :ladyhaha:

HEART OF EVER-FROST
  • Love 1

Donatellah
3 minutes ago, OliviaRodrigoStan said:

What kind of russian Xuxa is that :giveup:. Have you seen the lost wave song that was found in an adult film? :laughga:

The song is actually so good :ladyhaha:

MAMAAAAAAAA obviously I did! I even sort of tried to help with the search but wasn't useful either way. I remember when it was just "Everyone Knows That" and everyone was impressed by how mysterious this song was

• YAAAS 1

OliviaRodrigoStan
Just now, Donatellah said:

MAMAAAAAAAA obviously I did! I even sort of tried to help with the search but wasn't useful either way. I remember when it was just "Everyone Knows That" and everyone was impressed by how mysterious this song was

I remember people speculating about the background noises, IF THEY ONLY KNEW :brat:

HEART OF EVER-FROST

Donatellah
Just now, OliviaRodrigoStan said:

I remember people speculating about the background noises, IF THEY ONLY KNEW :brat:

What other lost media cases are you interested in?
I was definitely VERY keen on the original unedited Jeff The Killer image I was part of the search a year ago! I helped find a promising lead back then! I stopped due to studies and because that case in specific is almost impossible haha

• Love 1

OliviaRodrigoStan
1 minute ago, Donatellah said:

What other lost media cases are you interested in?
I was definitely VERY keen on the original unedited Jeff The Killer image I was part of the search a year ago! I helped find a promising lead back then! I stopped due to studies and because that case in specific is almost impossible haha

The Hannah Montana anime :giveup:. And the Bratz animated shorts in Japan: 

Reports claim the Hannah Montana anime went into production, and there should be footage available, but NOTHING surfaced yet. I feel like the geographical distance makes that project so difficult to unearth by western journalists, but I'm so curious about it :cryga:

HEART OF EVER-FROST
  • Shook 2

Donatellah
4 minutes ago, OliviaRodrigoStan said:

The Hannah Montana anime :giveup:. And the Bratz animated shorts in Japan: 

Reports claim the Hannah Montana anime went into production, and there should be footage available, but NOTHING surfaced yet. I feel like the geographical distance makes that project so difficult to unearth by western journalists, but I'm so curious about it :cryga:

the Hannah Montana WHAT

OliviaRodrigoStan
2 minutes ago, Donatellah said:

the Hannah Montana WHAT

GET INTO IT: 

I would say, after the Sailor Moon pilot that was finally found last year, the Hannah Montana anime was the most searched after project of this kind. I'm not even a Hannah Montana or Miley fan, BUT I WANNA KNOW THE TEA :bradley:

HEART OF EVER-FROST
  • Love 1

Donatellah
3 minutes ago, OliviaRodrigoStan said:

GET INTO IT: 

I would say, after the Sailor Moon pilot that was finally found last year, the Hannah Montana anime was the most searched after project of this kind. I'm not even a Hannah Montana or Miley fan, BUT I WANNA KNOW THE TEA :bradley:

I will!!

• YAAAS 1