OUT NOW!
movie

"Emilia Pérez" starring Selena Gomez coming to Netflix

elijahfan

Featured Posts

elijahfan

f194a2c8d6ad4e515c20ba9adc34ec02.jpg

Emilia Pérez, Jacques Audiard's new film presented a few months ago at Cannes to a 9-minute standing ovation, has a release date set for the US. It will come out in select theaters on November 1st and will be available to stream on Netflix on November 13th.

The movie is a musical that tells the story of disgruntled lawyer Rita who is tasked with assisting an escaped Mexican cartel leader in undergoing sex reassignment surgery to both evade the authorities and affirm her gender.

The film stars Zoe Saldaña, Selena Gomez, Adriana Paz and trans actress Karla Sofía Gascón in the title role. It won the Jury Grand Prize at Cannes, and its four main actresses were awarded the Best Female Performance award - not only was it the first time an ensemble of performers won this prize at Cannes, but Gascón is also the first trans actress to get it, which prompted a wave of controversial political reactions.

The film came out in France last week and it's honestly a modern masterpiece. It's undefinable, changes genres multiple times and makes you go through all possible emotions. It also has its camp moments (a musical number about vaginoplasty? Check), and the incredible soundtrack has numerous bops. It's like Pedro Almodóvar and Jacques Demy got together and made a film about Mexican cartels. Pretty bonkers.

Songs were written by French pop singer Camille and Clément Ducol, and choreography was made by Belgian modern dance master Damien Jalet, most known on film for his work on Luca Guadagnino's Suspiria.

I've already seen the film twice and wouldn't be making this thread if I didn't think this was an instant classic. Not only is this incredible filmmaking, but it's also something that I believe members here could really enjoy. So keep an eye out for its release in your respective countries ;)

Even though it's not subtitled in English, I'd also suggest taking a look at the original international trailer that I believe gives a better idea of the actual story and vibe of the film:

Edited by elijahfan

alsemanche
4 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

Songs were written by French pop singer Camille

can she write a new album now :grr:

Soft, soothing, and succulent
  • Like 1

elijahfan
4 minutes ago, bionic said:

this is a threat to Gaga's oscar

Honestly... yes. Absolutely.

Edited by elijahfan

elijahfan
3 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

can she write a new album now :grr:

I guess she was busy writing bops in Spanish for 4 years :billie: Soundtrack doesn't have a release date yet, but should come in time for US release (and Oscars campaign).

Lampost

I just got back from Paris, and there were posters for this EVERYWHERE. Hope it hits Netflix in the UK too!