TEANUS 16,218 Posted August 12, 2024 Share Posted August 12, 2024 5 minutes ago, Ladle Ghoulash said: Who in this thread has suggested “ending tipping culture completely?” Lol Seen at least 2 who suggested making it not the main source of wage for servers/bartenders and that’s a wonderful utopia thought that we might still get a good many tips even if people know we’re getting paid at least minimum wage as well but that’s just not realistic lol. Nor, as I said, is it realistic to think that small businesses would be able to afford that all of a sudden British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bronco 28,302 Posted August 12, 2024 Share Posted August 12, 2024 3 minutes ago, TEANUS said: Seen at least 2 who suggested making it not the main source of wage for servers/bartenders and that’s a wonderful utopia thought that we might still get a good many tips even if people know we’re getting paid at least minimum wage as well but that’s just not realistic lol. Nor, as I said, is it realistic to think that small businesses would be able to afford that all of a sudden Making it "not the main source of wage" is not "ending tipping". Plenty of non Americans on here have made it perfectly clear that tipping continues even in places where a minimum wage exists and tipping isn't socially compulsory. For example: In my first hospitality job, I was paid the UK minimum wage at the time for my age of £7.28 per hour. Average shift length was 9 hours (8.5 once unpaid statutory break was taken out). I was even provided free lunch. My average take home in tips during the main season was £150 a shift, essentially double what I had as guaranteed income due to minimum wage. And, I don't know if you've ever run a business or taken any business courses - but the standard in business is that if you can't afford to pay your overheads, you aren't a successful business. The one thing I'm learning from this thread is the only reason small businesses exist is in the USA is through exploitation. The gays know how to party Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ladle Ghoulash 55,391 Posted August 12, 2024 Share Posted August 12, 2024 18 minutes ago, TEANUS said: Seen at least 2 who suggested making it not the main source of wage for servers/bartenders and that’s a wonderful utopia thought that we might still get a good many tips even if people know we’re getting paid at least minimum wage as well but that’s just not realistic lol. Nor, as I said, is it realistic to think that small businesses would be able to afford that all of a sudden It’s not a utopia, tho. That’s how almost every other major country compensates food service + hospitality workers. Also, for what it’s worth, I don’t believe anyone should be working for less than $25 an hour in today’s climate. We have forgotten our public MANNERS Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Featured Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.