Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Variety: Gaga might campaign for Best Supporting Actress

Bradley

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

If the best actress in a leading role competition is too tough this year... I'm all for a trick to get us Gaga's second Oscar. :huntyga:

But the Lead Actress Oscar has a hell of a lot more weight than the Supporting Actress Oscar. It’s like winning Best Pop Album vs Album Of The Year at the Grammys :giveup:

• Shook 1
  • Thanks 1

StrawberryBlond

It is a tricky one for sure. The first trailer made them look like co-leads, the second one, definitely more Joker (plus replication of earlier Gaga scenes). But there's every chance it was presented like that to reassure any fans of the first movie that were nervous about Gaga's involvement that it's still a Joker movie for the most part. The movie is called Madness of Two, it's only them on the poster, they compose 98% of both trailers footage and they are equally billed at the end. All of that points to co-leads. Brendan, Steve, etc are definitely more in line with the definition of supporting cast as they were barely in the trailers (we still haven't even seen footage of Zazie and Catherine). To say that Gaga is just supporting isn't doing justice to what we've seen.

Different awards shows think differently. J-Lo was nominated as supporting and lead interchangeably across the board for Hustlers as her role was weighed differently depending on which committee viewed it. If it's a case of the supporting character stealing the show, they're definitely more likely to get nominated for lead. Supporting is never as competitive but I don't want the critics or public thinking that Gaga is fraudulently trying to stack the supporting odds in her favour by purposely low-balling her role to look better alongside her fellow supporting competition who are in much smaller roles. Go out swinging for best actress and I'm sure the academy will appreciate the guts she took to shoot her shot.

• Like 1

Night Vision

It's possible but I think she will have a lot more screen time than the trailer suggests.

If Michelle Williams can compete in Best Actress with her limited screen time in The Fabelmans, I doubt Gaga will be in supporting.

FreedomInTheMusic

Personally, I don’t think “Best Supporting Actress” is any less prestigious than “Best Actress.” Some of my favorite and some of the most iconic performances of all time are from Supporting Actors/Actresses. I don’t totally understand why some of you are upset they might campaign for Supporting, especially if that increases her chances of winning an Acting Oscar. 

Also, hard to overstate how insane it is that Gaga is even in the conversation as an Oscar-eligible Actress. It’s a huge testament to her accomplishments in such a short time as an actress, and I’m super proud of her for that fact alone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

rafaelgherardi

before today's trailer I was sure she would be a lead in the movie, but after it not so much - it made me wonder if Gaga really does not play a big part in the movie or if they just are keeping her scenes for a surprise in the movie itself

Controversiaga

Yeah this is what Ryan gosling did for Barbie movie . He technically is the male lead in that movie but still went for “supporting actor” 

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”