💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was Joanne Ahead of Its Time, too?

Juanjo

Featured Posts

androiduser
16 hours ago, Anderson123 said:

I think it maybe influenced other popstars to come up with their “personal”, “serious”, “chill” album as opposed to what was the trend back there. Anti, Rainbow, Younger Now. Maybe it did, maybe it didn’t.

Anti was released 9 months before Joanne. This answers our question.

• Like 1

Anderson123
12 minutes ago, androiduser said:

Anti was released 9 months before Joanne. This answers our question.

True! Forgot about that.

Juanjo
10 hours ago, Lextyr97 said:

Idk but I listened to Joanne about a month ago and was shocked by how well I thought it aged

This! I feel she could release it today and it would do fenomenal. 

Ants From Up There

I don't really feel as if it could be released today because if Joanne hadn't happened, her career overall and standing with the general public likely would have been significantly different. Outside of the general change in sound and aesthetics, Joanne was most significant insofar as it further convinced the GP of her range as an artist and ability to introspect on topics outside of typical popstar fare after ARTPOP (whether it was completely successful in that task is a different story.) It also served as a perfect lead-in to sell her ability to pull off Shallow and the ASIB era as a whole.

It would be pretty jarring had she released another dance pop album after C2C, pivoted to ASIB, and then Chromatica; had it been released now after all of that, it probably wouldn't fare very well. Joanne was much closer to what the general public needed to improve her standing with them in 2016; in 2024, it seems like they want a mature expansion of her TFM/BTW sound, and there are a lot of other artists currently fulfilling the niche that Joanne initially filled.

On a side note, I feel mixed on the era as a whole, but I was so excited for her to lean into a Fleetwood Mac/Linda Ronstadt/Eagles 70's country/pop/rock sound as I find that it suits her pretty well. The results weren't.... quite that :triggered: but we got a few good tracks in that vein such as A-Yo. At the very least, I don't find the sound of the era as dated and anachronistic as some of her other eras, but if she wanted to stand on business and actually commit to that sound a couple of eras for now, I would be all for it.

• Thanks 1

Rifek
On 7/13/2024 at 2:44 AM, juicyjuicy said:

Also, Diamond Heart being one of her best songs ever and being paid bloody dust

I love Diamond Heart but I would never call it one of her best songs. 
I listened to Gaga’s discography in my car last week and I had such a party but when Diamond Heart started playing I felt kinda bored (comparing to the other songs). 
It’s great live. A real stadium anthem but when you play it with her other songs it’s not that good in my opinion. 

❗ IG: thebumblebee__ ❗