Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Makeup lovers: thoughts on Haus Labs?

Head Empty

Featured Posts

Head Empty

Haus Labs mostly gets flak on here simply because it exists, but for those interested in makeup: what are your experiences with the brand?

I mainly like to do more "editorial" looks, rather than using it for day-to-day makeup. And I spend way too much money on trying new products :koons:

Overall I think the brand does well with complexion products, but I'm not sold on the more creative, colorful products (eyeshadow, liner, etc.). They don't perform amazingly, and don't excite me to try new looks or experiment, in a way that other brands do (About-Face and Danessa Myricks being some examples).

Favorites:
- Concealer: It looks good sheered out or with full concentrated coverage. I highly prefer it over the foundation, which tends to cake up quickly for me.
- Bronzer: Even though it arrived broken for me, it still works nicely. Very sheer, which I love because it makes application very easy and natural. And customer service gave me a gift card to replace the broken one.
- Glassy blush: Only tried it a few times so far but I love how it looks. Easy to work with and makes the skin look more healthy.

Dislikes:
- Gel eyeliner: I don't understand the positive reviews because every shade I tried was super dry for me :air:. My eyelids aren't very tight so it ends up dragging and tugging the skin around. It's impossible to get a smooth line, but it dries too fast to smudge.
- Highlighter: All glitter, no glow. For such an expensive product I expected a very natural and healthy look, but I barely see any pay-off except for some scattered glitter particles. 
- Pigment paint: The shimmery ones look chunky and the matte ones don't perform as nicely as some competitors (and my favorite shades aren't safe for use around the eyes).

On the fence:
- Foundation: I like the natural finish but it does tend to enhance texture for me, which makes it look cakey even when I use a small amount.

The rest either didn't leave a big impression on me, or I haven't tried them yet. Would love to try the eyeshadow palettes but they cost a fortune :messga:

What about you guys?

Edited by Head Empty
  • Like 1

Cello

Since the rebrand I've only tried the foundation, bronzer, highlighter and brow pencil. The only one that didn't meet my expectations was the highlighter, considering the price. Everything else I've tried has become my go-to

she/her 💗 free my mind
  • Like 3

I've only bought the foundation and I find it to be very... unique and interesting. It took quite a bit of experimentation to get it right. I found it difficult to get it to adhere to my skin properly at first, I even used the brush, which is a nice brush but it just didn't work for me. Also tried it with a beauty blender, with a couple different primers, without primer, with and without powder. It is so strange to me, but the best way I found to apply it was when I got frustrated and just applied it with my hands like a moisturiser and tapped it in. Literally this is how I do it every time now, and I don't even buff back over it with a beauty blender because that kind of moves it. I've never just smudged a foundation around with my hands before :laughga:  I'll say that I don't find it as pore-blurring as I hoped, considering everyone else's claims about it, and how flawless everyone else seemed to look online. But I DO like it. If I tap it in and set it just right it does look very nice, and after a few hours it looks very skin-like which I really like. It also seems to stay on well. It's just kinda weird :shrug: (also I bought the wrong shade which Is why I avoided buying it online for so long but they never launched here like they were supposed to. Even after doing their test multiple times and watching reviews, ugh. It's too light, but if I contour a bit and once it oxidises a little it looks good)

Sidenote: my favourite foundation of all time was the NYX total drop control foundation but NYX pulled out of NZ :toofunny:  I liked it because I guess my preference is medium coverage, velvety, skin-like, water based foundations. I moved on to Tarte rainforest of the sea water foundation which I also loved, but they discontinued the line. I tried their replacement but the new formula sucks. I'll never understand why.. it was a fan favourite. I also tried a couple foundations in Mac and hated them both :bear:  they're so thick like paint ,and so difficult to make it not look cakey and makeuppy. So I guess that gives you an idea of my usual preferences

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.
  • Like 1

Roughhouse Dandy

Foundation- I don't use it frequently, but their's became my go-to immediately. It took a minute to learn how to apply properly, but the second I did? Game over. Next time I'm in a production, I'll be buying it without hesitation. 

Highlighter- Fire Opal is heavensent. 

Pigment Paints- beautiful color selection, but it's best used as a base for powder eyeshadows. Alone, unless you're painting basic barn door, they're tricky to make look right; the playtime window is a little constricting. 

Eyeliners- quality varies wildly from color to color. The more vibrant, the more dry in my experience. I usually stick to pharmacy lines anyway. 

Lip oils- a miracle. Secondary is my everyday product.

Lip glaze- the only glosses I ever wear. I have a big problem with stickiness, and these are the only ones that feel hydrating without being tacky. 

Over-all: it's a little pricy, but absolutely worth it if you can afford it. The products are long lasting, great quality, and actually does leave my skin feeling healthier after use. 

Edited by Roughhouse Dandy
This is my Hannah Montana™️ lipgloss.
  • Like 1

Head Empty
38 minutes ago, Roughhouse Dandy said:

Eyeliners- quality varies wildly from color to color. The more vibrant, the more dry in my experience.

That's probably where I went wrong. I already have plenty of decent neutral eyeliners, so when I splurge on a more expensive brand I gravitate towards the more unique shades. I also expect the different shades from the same line to be comparable in terms of consistency and formula - especially from a luxury brand. 

42 minutes ago, Roughhouse Dandy said:

Highlighter- Fire Opal is heavensent. 

I see a lot of hype for this one but I'm afraid to try it out because my experience with Sunstone wasn't great. Is Fire Opal glittery?

2 hours ago, Helxig said:

I've only bought the foundation and I find it to be very... unique and interesting. It took quite a bit of experimentation to get it right. I found it difficult to get it to adhere to my skin properly at first, I even used the brush, which is a nice brush but it just didn't work for me. Also tried it with a beauty blender, with a couple different primers, without primer, with and without powder. It is so strange to me, but the best way I found to apply it was when I got frustrated and just applied it with my hands like a moisturiser and tapped it in. Literally this is how I do it every time now, and I don't even buff back over it with a beauty blender because that kind of moves it. I've never just smudged a foundation around with my hands before :laughga:  I'll say that I don't find it as pore-blurring as I hoped, considering everyone else's claims about it, and how flawless everyone else seemed to look online. But I DO like it. If I tap it in and set it just right it does look very nice, and after a few hours it looks very skin-like which I really like. It also seems to stay on well. It's just kinda weird :shrug: (also I bought the wrong shade which Is why I avoided buying it online for so long but they never launched here like they were supposed to. Even after doing their test multiple times and watching reviews, ugh. It's too light, but if I contour a bit and once it oxidises a little it looks good)

Sidenote: my favourite foundation of all time was the NYX total drop control foundation but NYX pulled out of NZ :toofunny:  I liked it because I guess my preference is medium coverage, velvety, skin-like, water based foundations. I moved on to Tarte rainforest of the sea water foundation which I also loved, but they discontinued the line. I tried their replacement but the new formula sucks. I'll never understand why.. it was a fan favourite. I also tried a couple foundations in Mac and hated them both :bear:  they're so thick like paint ,and so difficult to make it not look cakey and makeuppy. So I guess that gives you an idea of my usual preferences

I usually try foundations with fingers first. Working with thin patches and building/blending it wherever necessary. If I go in heavy with a brush/sponge, most of the product ends up settling into my pores above all else. 

That's why I love the concealer: you can spread it out thinly while still having decent coverage, so it doesn't get cakey. 

I can only imagine how frustrating shopping in NZ might be. I also struggled with finding the right shade for Haus Labs and got it right on my second try. They don't have Sephora in the Netherlands, so swatching it in real life wasn't an option.

My favorite complexion products right now would be Lisa Eldridge's foundation (natural) and skin tint (dewy), but I'm not sure how easy they would be to get in NZ. I bought slightly wrong shades, but their customer service now sent me 4 samples of different shades for free in case I want to buy a new bottle. So I definitely recommend trying it if possible.

• Like 1

Roughhouse Dandy
7 minutes ago, Head Empty said:

I see a lot of hype for this one but I'm afraid to try it out because my experience with Sunstone wasn't great. Is Fire Opal glittery?

It has some glitter in it, and I'm very into glitter (as if that isn't obvious from my pfp) so maybe I'm not the best person to ask, but I think it gives more of a shine/glow than a glitter look at the end of the day. I use it as a blush and I'm obsessed. 

Edited by Roughhouse Dandy
This is my Hannah Montana™️ lipgloss.

G U C C I

The foundation is incredible and during cooler months is definitely my go to. I do find that it is best used with Hourglass Veil Primer. Especially in my t zone. I know a lot of people who love the product even without being serious fans or even really know anything about Gaga. The eyeliner was better before the rebrand for me personally. The lip oil is basic asf and not worth it. The original lip liners and glosses were amazing though. Also the liquid shadows from the original launch were good. The only other current product I’ve used is the bronzer and it is wayyyy to orange for my skin. I am incredibly pale. 

overall I think the brand as it stands now has definite winners and some products that are just filling shelf space. I do wonder though where the f*ck the rest of the products are??!  I mean she hasn’t released anything new in a while. It’s is a very sparse collection. 

• Like 1

Head Empty
2 minutes ago, G U C C I said:

Also the liquid shadows from the original launch were good.

Liquid eyeshadows are my biggest makeup obsession by FAR, and those Glam attacks are still top tier in my collection. The eye paints they have now, pale in comparison. But I'm sure those old formula's aren't up to the same level of sustainability.

4 minutes ago, G U C C I said:

I do wonder though where the f*ck the rest of the products are??!  I mean she hasn’t released anything new in a while.

Well they just released the glassy blushes, but I agree that they have quite a few gaps to fill in their collection. I think their strategy is to only release products that are innovative in some way, usually by containing unique skincare properties. That's why they take so long in between releases.

I'm still waiting for more colored products, like (liquid) liners and more affordable (or unique) eyeshadows.

One market gap they should jump on is faux-bleached brow gel. It would be such a Gaga product and not many brands have good options for it :pray:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have only used products from the original launch, haven't had the occasion to buy the new ones yet, and tbh I'm not as excited about them as I am for the old ones.

I love the liquid eyeshadow because when you spread it out, it gradually becomes less colorful and more glittery. I find it easy to make it look good without much makeup skills, even spreading it with my finger makes it work.

I also have the sparkle lipstick, which I absolutely love. The color is nice and the sparkles bring a bit of gradient in the color, it gives it more warmth and glamour. Just last week I was wearing it and people told me that they loved it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it holds a bit too much and it's hard to remove off the skin when you go a bit over the lips onto the skin.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

TheBadRomancer

I haven’t tried everything, but I will say I LOVE the foundation, it’s the best I’ve tried. The lip lacquer unfortunately melted on me so I don’t use it because of that. I wish they’d bring back liquid eyeliner—I’m still using my reserves from Haus Labs 1.0 because I can’t do much with what they have now. I use the eyeliner for my bottom lid because it doesn’t sweat off like most do, but I could never do my top lid with it or a cat eye. I can’t figure out how the brush on the other side works for the eyeliner at all lmao. The paint is okay but I don’t use it regularly.

ill forever be obsessed with the glam attacks and still use them daily and have a healthy reserve of them 😅. I haven’t tried the new blush because I still use the blush from 1.0 😂 

• YAAAS 1

Helxig
On 6/25/2024 at 2:10 AM, Head Empty said:

I usually try foundations with fingers first. Working with thin patches and building/blending it wherever necessary. If I go in heavy with a brush/sponge, most of the product ends up settling into my pores above all else. 

That's why I love the concealer: you can spread it out thinly while still having decent coverage, so it doesn't get cakey. 

I can only imagine how frustrating shopping in NZ might be. I also struggled with finding the right shade for Haus Labs and got it right on my second try. They don't have Sephora in the Netherlands, so swatching it in real life wasn't an option.

My favorite complexion products right now would be Lisa Eldridge's foundation (natural) and skin tint (dewy), but I'm not sure how easy they would be to get in NZ. I bought slightly wrong shades, but their customer service now sent me 4 samples of different shades for free in case I want to buy a new bottle. So I definitely recommend trying it if possible.

Oo okay now I want to try the concealer. I don't wear a lot of makeup these days, but one thing I do use almost every day is colour corrector for my dark circles. I wish they'd make a few colour correctors in their concealer range.. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard

It's so hard buying online. We do have a Sephora in the city over from mine, and a friend of a friend who works there said they were going to bring over Haus Labs last year.. still hasn't happened. I wish they'd hurry up and release the brand internationally already. It's been 2 years

Oo I'll have to remember that brand and look into it. Although tbh this bottle of Haus Labs will probably last me another year at least at this rate :sweat:  tomorrow is going to be the first time I've worn foundation in months

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

bowlsofbrett
On 6/24/2024 at 7:42 AM, Helxig said:

I've only bought the foundation and I find it to be very... unique and interesting. It took quite a bit of experimentation to get it right. I found it difficult to get it to adhere to my skin properly at first, I even used the brush, which is a nice brush but it just didn't work for me. Also tried it with a beauty blender, with a couple different primers, without primer, with and without powder. It is so strange to me, but the best way I found to apply it was when I got frustrated and just applied it with my hands like a moisturiser and tapped it in. Literally this is how I do it every time now, and I don't even buff back over it with a beauty blender because that kind of moves it. I've never just smudged a foundation around with my hands before :laughga:  I'll say that I don't find it as pore-blurring as I hoped, considering everyone else's claims about it, and how flawless everyone else seemed to look online. But I DO like it. If I tap it in and set it just right it does look very nice, and after a few hours it looks very skin-like which I really like. It also seems to stay on well.

I also use my hands to apply it. I don’t need to use very much. It definitely makes me look refreshed and stays on throughout the day. 

Ivy

I've tried the foundation, powder blush, and one of the gel eyeliner:

- I like the foundation, it lasts forever on me and I love that it has no fragrance and not irritating. The only negative is when I have dry skin issues it can enhance that flaky skin a lil bit 

(I apply it with sponge "swiping" motion because I like it to be more sheer, and I only use half pump at one time because it's very concentrated so the bottle is lasting a super long time)

- I got the lavender blonde powder blush on the limited edition and it's very pretty, I haven't really used it that much so I can't tell how the performance is yet

- I got recently the gel eyeliner in shade "onyx gold shimmer" which looked really pretty in the pictures, but I was disappointed because the one I received is actually just black with like one glitter here or there :laughga: like almost a blue black, not even green like in the picture so that was my only disappointment so far (oh but I did really like the little brush on the end!)

- edit: I forgot I also had tried the brow pencil, it was good! I have since changed to cheaper brand because I'm on strict budget now:artdoll2:

Edited by Ivy