💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

St. Vincent & SOPHIE

LG666

Featured Posts

LG666

I'm curious to hear what people think of St. Vincent and the SOPHIE-inspired song on her new album, All Born Screaming.

I've been seeing a ton of discourse on Twitter about it. Annie Clark of St. Vincent, a queer artist, is getting scrutinized by SOPHIE fans for her song Sweetest Fruit referencing SOPHIE's poetically-described way of passing.

The album itself is really great, and my favorite of St. Vincent's body of work. It makes me wonder about the boundaries of songwriting and inspiration. Is it really that bad to be inspired by a situation and write a song around it? She's an artist, after all. We've seen countless songs being written about other artist's lives and deaths, so why is this different? It's really not that serious and I get worried that we live in an age where we have to walk on eggshells or else you're the villain. 

Discuss below, but please be kind. 

• Like 3

RAMROD

I feel like she can express it the way she can. That kinda tradegy is raw stuffs. If this is her way to mourn, who am I to say she did it wrong? People cope differently 

Edited by RAMROD
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
  • Like 4

BUtterfield 8

I mean we don’t know them personally but I would like to think that SOPHIE would be okay with this just based on her artistry 

• Like 2

Ladle Ghoulash
1 hour ago, LG666 said:

We've seen countless songs being written about other artist's lives and deaths, so why is this different? It's really not that serious and I get worried that we live in an age where we have to walk on eggshells or else you're the villain. 

This, tbh. I remember listening to the record for the first time thinking it was a lovely lyric and being taken aback that people seemed to be offended by it lol

• Like 3

Roughhouse Dandy

She was honoring an influential musical figure and nothing in the lyrics was insulting so I don't see the problem. Sensitivity is nice but too much is just annoying. 

This is my Hannah Montana™️ lipgloss.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Oriane

Oh I've seen this on Twitter. I don't find it weird to write about an artist's death, tons of people have done it before. But the lyrics are not particularly good. When I saw this on Twitter, I thought it was some unknown artist that people were making fun of. :toofunny:

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Luv u Sum

people feel so entitled to sharing their opinions and forcing those opinions on other people. 

these bitches didn't know sophie either so their thought on the matter is irrelevant. annie has the right to write a song about whatever she wants and she said she felt inspired by the story cuz it is tragically beautiful.

they don't like it they don't have to listen to it  

• Like 1

River

I don't think it's disrespectful or something, just the lyrics are cringe and gives a kids song vibe about a clumsy character who falls down and dies :air: 

My bunny climbed to the roof to get a better view of the moon moon 🥰

Oh my, then one wrong step 😣 took home down to the depth! 😱

But for a minute, my cute little bunny said: what a view! What a view! 🤩

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

HelloHangoverz

I feel like most artists would appreciate that their death inspired somebody else's song lmao. I kinda would. Mythologize me mama

bottoms up....and the devil laughs
  • YAAAS 1

Tyler1992

I think the lyrics are pretty abstract, kind of jarring, but I wouldn’t say disrespectful. St. Vincent always teeters on simplicity to convey a deeper, more complex message. 

When she says “my Sophie” it could be off-putting, but I find it kind of beautiful-  I see it as her saying “my influence”, someone she holds close to her, and inspires her. 

Fans say it’s weird that Annie Clark and Sophie never met, but artists give a piece of themselves when they release music, and Annie used that to tribute.

Art isn’t always going to be sensitive

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ladle Ghoulash
20 minutes ago, River said:

I don't think it's disrespectful or something, just the lyrics are cringe and gives a kids song vibe about a clumsy character who falls down and dies :air: 

My bunny climbed to the roof to get a better view of the moon moon 🥰

Oh my, then one wrong step 😣 took home down to the depth! 😱

But for a minute, my cute little bunny said: what a view! What a view! 🤩

I mean, god forbid a lyric be simple lolol. It’s not the greatest thing I’ve ever heard, but it’s also definitely not that bad 

Ororo Munroe

I just don’t see how Anne writing a song inspired by Sophie’s death is any different to people on Twitter reacting to Sophie’s passing like they knew her personally. Anne is a fan, she dedicated a song to Sophie, not sure how that is worse than some random tweets saying “oh, she died how she lived” or something. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

River
1 minute ago, Ladle Ghoulash said:

I mean, god forbid a lyric be simple lolol. It’s not the greatest thing I’ve ever heard, but it’s also definitely not that bad 

It’s not that they are simple, it’s not what my post was talking about, I mean, pop music is built around simple easy to remember lyrics.

It’s just these specific lyrics are giving me a kindergarden vibes 

But St. Vincent is an amazing songwriter and artist and the album is one of the best releases of the year, so even she can write cringy lyrics sometimes and it’s fine 🤷‍♂️

Ladle Ghoulash
2 minutes ago, River said:

It’s not that they are simple, it’s not what my post was talking about, I mean, pop music is built around simple easy to remember lyrics.

It’s just these specific lyrics are giving me a kindergarden vibes 

But St. Vincent is an amazing songwriter and artist and the album is one of the best releases of the year, so even she can write cringy lyrics sometimes and it’s fine 🤷‍♂️

I understood what you were saying, but I’m just disagreeing about them seeming childish. Agree to disagree 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Ladle Ghoulash

River
1 minute ago, Ladle Ghoulash said:

I understood what you were saying, but I’m just disagreeing about them seeming childish. Agree to disagree 🤷‍♂️

but I want to change your mind :traumatica:

• LMAO 1