Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
movie

Horror Movies 2024 - Mega Thread

Flippy

Featured Posts

Flippy

I finally got to watch Alien Romulus and it was so good! 

Going to watch Blink Twice today :tony:

TMBT 3.22.11 // TBTWB 1.17.13 // ArtRAVE 6.3.14 // C2CT 5.28.15 // TJWT 8.13.17 // Chromatica World Tour 9.8.22

Real Panda

sNA3ktDHj4Z5VajihqhIJIZekPP-1024x1536.jp

Let me just talk about Oddity for a minute because this movie scared me. Watching this at night was certainly a mistake. At times, I was covering my face with one of my eyes peeking through my fingers. One time, I was yelling "No, no, dont put your hand in there!". The way it creates characters like the twin sisters, the wooden man and the one-eyed psychiatric patient was well done. This movie reminds me of early Insidious and Conjuring films. Though after an hour, I could already tell where the story was going. Its not groundbreaking, but does a good horror movie need to be new and unique and a social commentary? I dont think so. It needs to scare you, give you chills, creep you out in a good way. And this movie did all that.

My 2024 Horror Ranking:

1. Oddity

2. Maxxxine

3. Late Night With The Devil

4. Abigail

5. The Watchers

6. Baghead

7. Imaginary

8. Tarot

9. Lisa Frankenstein

10. The Strangers - Chapter 1

• Love 2
  • Shook 1

Levine

This is incredible because I was going to take a shower and then watch Oddity and then this thread popped up and you wrote about it lmaooo

Can't wait! 

• YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

Real Panda
On 8/25/2024 at 3:51 PM, Levine said:

This is incredible because I was going to take a shower and then watch Oddity and then this thread popped up and you wrote about it lmaooo

Can't wait! 

Did you like Oddity?

Real Panda

wp14173693.jpg

Spoiler Discussion:

First, let me say I did not know who was starring in it and it took me until more than 1 hour, at the interview part, to realize that Kobble/Cobble was Nicholas Cage in prosthetics.

I loved the eerie atmosphere althroughout the film. As the movie progresses, I realized this was a Zodiac / Se7en, FBI vs serial killer type of movie. I loved the cinematography, changing aspect ratios, and color palette. I appreciate horror films of a specific time period.

The usual runtime of horror movies is 1hr30m, Longlegs was at 1h41m and yet somehow I feel like it needed something more at the end. When you have a famous actress like Kiernan Shipka playing Carrie Ann Camera or whatever her name was, you'd think they would film that death scene. Instead it was just exposition saying "she jumped from the roof, she's dead now".

Personally, if I was a part of writing this movie I would have made the doll a central aspect of the film. Chucky, Megan, Annabelle, Dead Silence puppet, it always works. Even the scene with the expert at the laboratory/morgue examining the doll, it was a missed opportunity to create a horror scene that would have established the supernatural element of this film early on.

The movie was good, creepy, and I get that the overall ending. I was entertained and I think Longlegs is in the top horror movies this year. I'm nitpicking because I liked it.

My 2024 Horror Ranking:

1. Oddity

2. Longlegs

3. Maxxxine

4. Late Night With The Devil

5. Abigail

6. The Watchers

7. Baghead

8. Imaginary

9. Tarot

10. Lisa Frankenstein

11. The Strangers - Chapter 1

Edited by Real Panda

djBuffoon

Oddity is currently my favorite of the year. Pitch-perfect, does its job brilliantly, and doesn't overstay the welcome.

Longlegs and The First Omen are up there as well. Both have a couple script holes that are difficult to overlook, but their mood, direction, and performances are outstanding.

Alien: Romulus, Cuckoo, and Strange Darling are recent gems as well.

• Love 1

Levine
1 hour ago, Real Panda said:

Did you like Oddity?

Yes and no. I liked the concept, the atmosphere, the first and the last part. My problem was the middle part: too slow and you immediatly get that the

Spoiler

husband is the responsable for the murderer

I'd still give it a 7/10 

• Like 1

Real Panda
1 hour ago, djBuffoon said:

The First Omen are up there as well.

I am hesitant on seeing The First Omen because I have seen many exorcism filns before. 🥲

djBuffoon
5 minutes ago, Real Panda said:

I am hesitant on seeing The First Omen because I have seen many exorcism filns before. 🥲

I can't promise it'll blow your mind, but I went in with the same attitude and I was very impressed how much detail and thought went into it. It's an objectively well-directed, well-acted movie.

• Love 1

Real Panda
Just now, djBuffoon said:

I can't promise it'll blow your mind, but I went in with the same attitude and I was very impressed how much detail and thought went into it. It's an objectively well-directed, well-acted movie.

I'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation. 😊

Jase

Literally just about to hit play on Oddity. I'm hoping it lives up to the hype!

• Like 1
  • Shook 1

Jase
3 hours ago, Jase said:

Literally just about to hit play on Oddity. I'm hoping it lives up to the hype!

OH MY ****ING GOD THAT WAS A MASTERPIECE

Horror film of 2024 and it's not even close. Let me process what I just witnessed. THAT TENT SCENE. 

• Love 2
  • Shook 2

Flippy

:noparty: Not me still missing out on Oddity :bradley: Ugh

TMBT 3.22.11 // TBTWB 1.17.13 // ArtRAVE 6.3.14 // C2CT 5.28.15 // TJWT 8.13.17 // Chromatica World Tour 9.8.22
  • Sad 1

Jase
1 minute ago, Flippy said:

:noparty: Not me still missing out on Oddity :bradley: Ugh

Oh girl, check it out asap. I just don't get scared by films but holy ****, Oddity gave me full body chills. 

• YAAAS 2

Flippy
On 8/26/2024 at 3:55 PM, Jase said:

Oh girl, check it out asap. I just don't get scared by films but holy ****, Oddity gave me full body chills. 

:tony: I CANNOT WAIT! :excited:

• YAAAS 1