opinion

Joanne vs. Cowboy Carter (VOTE)

Noah X

Joanne vs. Cowboy Carter  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Joanne vs. Cowboy Carter

Featured Posts

Future Lovers

When are we as a society going to stop pretending Joanne was a country album rather than a southern rock/blues rock album regardless of the cowboy hat cosplay on the cover 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 11

Gaga2645
1 hour ago, FATCAT said:

Let’s keep things civil guys or I’ll close this thread. I probably should have preemptively closed it but it’s slow let’s see how it goes

Let’s close it bc this was expected to get messy and it will be very soon im sure 

JohnnyVersace

CC speaks to so many things (race, love, loss, history, childhood, excess, sex) in an authentic way that Joanne failed to. Bey has always been a cowgirl, whereas Gaga put on the hat as a character almost. Joanne has its moments and I completely agree that Ya Ya is A-Yo's grown up, far superior, sister....but CC is that girl :vegas:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Agunimon

Joanne is my favorite Gaga album now - been exclusively listening to it for a few weeks when I listen to Gaga (its always been in my top 3, but now it is 1), but Cowboy Carter is what I deem to be Beyonce's magnum opus and it superior.

Noah X

Ok, sorry. I actually listened to cowboy carter now in full instead of lil snippets from twitter :icant:

I changed my mind :icant:

Sorry joanne you will be missed

lFYHF28f0Xm8T5KO5FFRuJq3ZSxmyFCqtpc6st2W

why does beyonce always stay winning

n5jla.gif

• Like 1
  • LMAO 6
  • YAAAS 1

NCgaga
2 hours ago, monketsharona said:

I don't even understand why Monsters are keeping comparing Joanne to Cowboy Carter when the later is truly a country album while Joanne is just not close to be a country album :enigma:

Cowboy Carter is not a country album and is certainly not any more country than Joanne. It is a pop record that has country influences. Joanne was a pop record with country and Americana influences. 

• Thanks 3

hieronymus

This comparison is laughable, but then again, I'm a storied Joanne hater.

1 hour ago, Railing said:

I mean, they're both extremely performative, with a clubby popstar suddenly donning cowboy hats and talking about rodeos and being like "I'm a country singer now" :rip: But I liked a lot of Joanne, idk

Well... one of them is from someone who grew up in the south, with strong southern heritage... and the other is an "Italian" woman born and raised in NYC so let's not point poser fingers

Edited by hieronymus
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 2

Railing
6 minutes ago, hieronymus said:

This comparison is laughable, but then again, I'm a storied Joanne hater.

Well... one of them is from someone who grew up in the south, with strong southern heritage... and the other is an "Italian" woman born and raised in NYC so let's not point poser fingers

Her heritage doesn't make it any less cringe-inducing that the marketing for her country phase is nothing but American flags, horses, and cowboy gear :rip: With a lead single that doubles down by being a hoedown anthem with Texas in the title. It's a gimmicky era and that's okay to admit!

• Like 1

Noah X
10 minutes ago, hieronymus said:

and the other is an "Italian" woman born and raised in NYC so let's not point poser fingers

??? You need to listen to more of her interviews?

Apparently when she was a little girl, she used to climb to the top of the haystacks at her grandparent's barn and sung dolly parton at the top of her lungs. At the age of 8 she performed Tennessee whiskey on the piano for the first time for the horses & family at a farm gathering.

• LMAO 10

G U C C I

Joanna showed some amazing sides of Gaga vocally and could have been a true country infused album if Bloodpop had not of gotten a hold of some production choices that were made. Sinners Prayer, John Wayne, Joanne (piano version), Million Reasons, Diamond Heart, Dancin in Circles were a good core for her album to be solid and just needed a few other good songs to go with them but it didn’t happen. The album is just half way decent for the vast majority of listeners whether those are the songs you like or the others. 

Cowboy Carter only compares to Joanne in the sense that it’s only halfway decent. Most songs are good but there are several that could have been left on the cutting floor. Not to mention that it is no way a “country” album. It is also just country infused like Joanne was. 

Edited by G U C C I
  • Love 1

Bi Rain

I love both but personally I like Cowboy Carter more.

The Good Sis Viola | Have Some Bi Rain | The Bi Rain Train |

Lextyr97
3 hours ago, Lextyr97 said:

In my opinion CC makes Joanne look like sh*t lmaooo agreed on the AYO and Ya Ya comparison but Ya Ya is 100x better imo

Okay I just gave Joanne a fresh listen. I was too harsh. CC actually made Joanne more enjoyable for me for some reason. It was a joy to listen to every song :giveup: CC I still think is the better piece of work, but Joanne is paced MUCH better. It aged really really well. I’m very happy right now lmaoo. Also if Joanne had interludes to do a better job of transitioning (like Joanne into John Wayne, or Hey Girl to Angel Down (super jarring)), it would be waaaaay better. Overall, super thankful for this thread. 

I love Joanne again :traumatica:

• Like 1
  • LMAO 1
  • Shook 1