Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
celeb

Olivia Rodrigo's management no longer allows to disperse free Plan B and condoms

Teletubby

Featured Posts

HIM820
16 minutes ago, faysalaaa1 said:

I also dont support Abstinence education, I support education of sex scientifically, but its not the job of schools and governments to give my kids condoms. Leave the morality and incentives out of it, and educate my kids on the science. If you believe your kid will have sex regardless, you can hand them a condoms yourself, but leave my kids out of it.

You might be looking at this all in a matter of fact/ idealized way. When society is dealing with an issue that impacts more than one singular family- high amounts of teen pregnancy or STDs- then the solutions can't come from such personal reasoning. You may know how you'll react to your child asking you about sex, and you may even believe you'll have the correct response, but that will not be the same experience for every kid who might just be looking for guidance. Not every family, or even a majority, are healthy enough at home to even talk about sex or have honest conversations without fear. A lot of parents have no clue who their teens are. I don't know how we would help if it was all left up to parents attentiveness and ability to influence their children, when that clearly has not worked for a lot of families. 

Do you see condoms as an incentive to have sex or a part of prevention education? because that might be the crux of your disagreement with people here. 

• Like 2

Oriane

"If you want to give condoms to your kids it's fine but leave my kids out of it, I don't want them to get pregnant!! >:("

It will come as a surprise to everyone but you when your kids DO get pregnant because of your attitude and failure to educate them properly.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

faysalaaa
3 minutes ago, HIM820 said:

You might be looking at this all in a matter of fact/ idealized way. When society is dealing with an issue that impacts more than one singular family- high amounts of teen pregnancy or STDs- then the solutions can't come from such personal reasoning. You may know how you'll react to your child asking you about sex, and you may even believe you'll have the correct response, but that will not be the same experience for every kid who might just be looking for guidance. Not every family, or even a majority, are healthy enough at home to even talk about sex or have honest conversations without fear. A lot of parents have no clue who their teens are. I don't know how we would help if it was all left up to parents attentiveness and ability to influence their children, when that clearly has not worked for a lot of families. 

Do you see condoms as an incentive to have sex or a part of prevention education? because that might be the crux of your disagreement with people here. 

Yes I view giving teens condoms as giving them a green light to have sex and normalize it. While education is neutral and based on simply educating. I understand the argument of making condoms available, but I disagree with the idea of giving it to them or putting it in places where teens hangout.

I agree most families wont do a good job with helping their kids, which is why I support all forms of sex education, but I dont want schools or governments incentivising my kid to have sex or normalise it.

• Like 1

Westerosi
3 hours ago, hieronymus said:

damn. More unplanned teen pregnancy advocates in here than I expected.

I want to make it clear that I do support and advocate for sex ed and free contraception in teenage classrooms.

However, Olivia's team are concerned about the risk of exposure of such subjects to literal children, who are neither developed or old enough to understand this matter. Wanting to protect children from adult conversations isn't radical, it's sensible.

Spoiler

I know you probably weren't referring to me here, but I just wanted to make that clear. Abstinence doesn't work.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Westerosi
2 hours ago, faysalaaa1 said:

Yes I view giving teens condoms as giving them a green light to have sex and normalize it. While education is neutral and based on simply educating. I understand the argument of making condoms available, but I disagree with the idea of giving it to them or putting it in places where teens hangout.

I agree most families wont do a good job with helping their kids, which is why I support all forms of sex education, but I dont want schools or governments incentivising my kid to have sex or normalise it.

You can't go into a classroom, educate teenagers about safe sex, then tell them to go and struggle with purchasing/finding said contraception. The ones who choose to do it will do it regardless of whether or not contraception is available to them (especially since they're young and naive) so it is pretty much vital to ensure their safety.

Believe me, teens don't need or care about your green light. Red or green, they'll do what they've always done.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
  • Like 2

faysalaaa
27 minutes ago, Westerosi said:

You can't go into a classroom, educate teenagers about safe sex, then tell them to go and struggle with purchasing/finding said contraception. The ones who choose to do it will do it regardless of whether or not contraception is available to them (especially since they're young and naive) so it is pretty much vital to ensure their safety.

Believe me, teens don't need or care about your green light. Red or green, they'll do what they've always done.

Its not the job of Schools and governments to ensure my kids sexual safety. Schools and governments can educate my kids scientifically, and make contraception available, but they shouldnt give them condoms and get involved like that.

If some parents choose to raise their kids with the idea that they will have sex anyway, and they treat their kids as a statistic, thats fine with me. But thats not how I want to raise my kids!

You say its a struggle for teens to purchase contraception, well I support making it available.

Edited by faysalaaa1

Westerosi
2 minutes ago, faysalaaa1 said:

make contraception available, but they shouldnt give them condoms and get involved like that.

What is the difference?

• Like 1

faysalaaa
5 minutes ago, Westerosi said:

What is the difference?

Making it legal or free for underage teens to get them in a pharmacy. Thats different from teachers and Sex ED giving it to teens. Im not American so I dont know the details of how schools do it, but im reading here that they do hand it out or make it available where teens hangout.

StrawberryBlond

Recalling what I said in the previous thread, I want to make clear that while I'm against freely giving contraceptives to minors, I am 100% for educating them and providing as much free and easy access to these services as possible for those of age. I wish more to aim education to discourage minors from having sex in the first place until they are of age and impressing upon them the fact that underage sex is an illegal act. While naturally telling them about the risks of pregnancy and STDs, we need to remind them that underage sex is illegal and punishable by law. I once saw an article that listed all the acts that a surprising amount of people didn't know were illegal and underage sex was by far one of the most common. It seems to be we think it's only illegal if one is a minor and the other an adult. In actuality, it's an illegal act regardless of the ages involved. 

This leads me on to my next point which no one else seems to be considering...adults giving contraceptives to minors will mean that they could be viewed as enabling them to have underage sex. If this minor has sex and law enforcement finds out (and god forbid, the protection fails and they get pregnant), there is a high chance the minor will claim that they got a condom from an teacher/parent/healthcare professional meaning that said adult may well be investigated by the police. I have heard many parents say that as soon as their child became a teenager, they taught them about safe sex and gave them condoms. Some even are allowing their teenage children to have their girlfriends/boyfriends stay over so they know they're doing it somewhere safe and have protection. All this would be fine if they are of age. But if the law finds out you as an adult are allowing minors to have sex in your house that you are aware of and even encourage by providing them with contraception, you could totally end up in jail. 

I know minors will continue to have sex regardless of education/lack thereof and will do anything to get hold of contraception with or without parents and teachers blessing, I'm not stupid. But there's no getting over the weight that an adult shoulders by giving contraceptives to teens. You wouldn't say "You're too young to drive, you absolutely should not drive, but if you must drive, the keys are right there and wear a seatbelt." If underage driving is not something we'd enable, why underage sex? As we made abundantly clear on the original topic, protection can fail. So, what if an adult gives a minor a condom, the minor now realises they can safely have sex, they do and the condom breaks and pregnancy occurs (and they don't think to take a test or do anything about it)? Don't tell me there wouldn't be a blame game played here and there would be a lot of guilt on the part of the adult who gave them the protection. 

That's all I'm saying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ladle Ghoulash
6 hours ago, faysalaaa1 said:

Yes this is another one of my bad takes

At least you know 

faysalaaa
4 minutes ago, Ladle Ghoulash said:

At least you know 

Im obviously just mocking you guys for constantly saying I have bad takes

Ladle Ghoulash
3 minutes ago, faysalaaa1 said:

Im obviously just mocking you guys for constantly saying I have bad takes

Satire requires clarity of intent and enough distinction from reality to indicate humor. Claim denied.

• Like 1
  • LMAO 4
  • YAAAS 2

Westerosi
43 minutes ago, faysalaaa1 said:

Making it legal or free for underage teens to get them in a pharmacy. Thats different from teachers and Sex ED giving it to teens. Im not American so I dont know the details of how schools do it, but im reading here that they do hand it out or make it available where teens hangout.

But in USA they have to pay for healthcare at pharmacies. There's no way they would make it free, hence the need to provide free contraception during sex ed

• Like 1

Westerosi
39 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Recalling what I said in the previous thread, I want to make clear that while I'm against freely giving contraceptives to minors, I am 100% for educating them and providing as much free and easy access to these services as possible for those of age. I wish more to aim education to discourage minors from having sex in the first place until they are of age and impressing upon them the fact that underage sex is an illegal act. While naturally telling them about the risks of pregnancy and STDs, we need to remind them that underage sex is illegal and punishable by law. I once saw an article that listed all the acts that a surprising amount of people didn't know were illegal and underage sex was by far one of the most common. It seems to be we think it's only illegal if one is a minor and the other an adult. In actuality, it's an illegal act regardless of the ages involved. 

This leads me on to my next point which no one else seems to be considering...adults giving contraceptives to minors will mean that they could be viewed as enabling them to have underage sex. If this minor has sex and law enforcement finds out (and god forbid, the protection fails and they get pregnant), there is a high chance the minor will claim that they got a condom from an teacher/parent/healthcare professional meaning that said adult may well be investigated by the police. I have heard many parents say that as soon as their child became a teenager, they taught them about safe sex and gave them condoms. Some even are allowing their teenage children to have their girlfriends/boyfriends stay over so they know they're doing it somewhere safe and have protection. All this would be fine if they are of age. But if the law finds out you as an adult are allowing minors to have sex in your house that you are aware of and even encourage by providing them with contraception, you could totally end up in jail. 

I know minors will continue to have sex regardless of education/lack thereof and will do anything to get hold of contraception with or without parents and teachers blessing, I'm not stupid. But there's no getting over the weight that an adult shoulders by giving contraceptives to teens. You wouldn't say "You're too young to drive, you absolutely should not drive, but if you must drive, the keys are right there and wear a seatbelt." If underage driving is not something we'd enable, why underage sex? As we made abundantly clear on the original topic, protection can fail. So, what if an adult gives a minor a condom, the minor now realises they can safely have sex, they do and the condom breaks and pregnancy occurs (and they don't think to take a test or do anything about it)? Don't tell me there wouldn't be a blame game played here and there would be a lot of guilt on the part of the adult who gave them the protection. 

That's all I'm saying. 

I'm choosing to believe that the members here advocating for freely available contraception are referring to sexually active and mutually consenting teens, as the alternative is disturbing enough for me to delete my account here.

• Like 1

faysalaaa
7 minutes ago, Westerosi said:

But in USA they have to pay for healthcare at pharmacies. There's no way they would make it free, hence the need to provide free contraception during sex ed

Hmmm well then make it available in schools without handing it out. Dont schools in America have doctors or nurses? They can have it available in there, without handing it out of putting it on display. After a Sex ED class, the teachers can mention that its available or whatever. There is other solutions than directly handing it out.

• SharkmanthaC locked, unlocked and locked this topic