Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Charli XCX addresses criticism of the ‘Brat’ album cover

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Karl

Is she playing a brat this era though? Like the interviews at the women in music awards she was giving brat and I'm here for this energy if it's a performance :ladyhaha:

Sneaky Oliver
33 minutes ago, olivia specter said:

87654.png

people would like it better not because they desperately want to see her body, but because it would add something unique, that you cannot recreate by yourself in 2 minutes, lol

even a random doodle would add a lot

Add something unique? People are kinda upset by the uniqueness of it! I don’t see the problem with being easy to recreate, we got Pure Heroine and Beyoncé’s self titled that would fall into this category and they’re iconic  

I don’t even like the cover that much, I even believe that’s not the final cover but she might have used it as a marketing strategy, but we can’t deny people are bothered by the lack of a Charli photo

I’m on my Legacy Act era

MadArchitect
3 hours ago, Oriane said:

I love that the other covers from the tweet DO show women's faces and bodies, totally disproving her point :toofunny:

Right, and it really doesn't matter that is self-aware intentionally bad or she thought she was eating lmao, it's still a black font over a green background, and clearly no thought or care was put in it, i dislike so much this internet meme reactionary culture seeping into music and then their pretension to pass it as something artistic, subversive or like their're making a statement, like no, we already have tons of this kind of careless cynicism in the internet why would people should just accept it in somebody that's supposed to be an artist? of course i love humor, nerve and audacity in art, but there are creative and intelligent ways to do it. 

I see the link of people demanding women to be portrayed a certain way in album covers, but misogyny is not the the only reason why exists a demand for just their bodies or faces to be on it, people just like to see the humanity of somebody's performance and likeness in artistic pieces to identify with, that is at the nexus of art and the human experience, that is not misogynistic. As you said her point is automatically disproven as one of the album cover's cited is Taylor's swift last announced, and it's literally her sexy body and face laying in a mattress suggestively, not too sexual, not too prude, it was included in the criticism and how much more availability to women's bodies than that does it gets? lmao

Edited by MadArchitect
  • Thanks 1

Catnikko

I love the cover

i hate her response

:air: 

Actual patient

eddyjeddy

Same reception as when Gaga released the pre cover art for Chromatica :traumatica:

ALGAYDO

The cover is horrible on purpose, Charli needs the “controversy” to get better numbers. I love her music tho so I don’t really care about the ugly áss cover lmao 

LG666

You know it's a great album cover when it causes so much uproar.

Reminds me of Born This Way - where it was thought of as a joke at first but was the actual cover, and it only aged well like wine and became legendary.

PS: for those who think this is "lazy" - it's an intentional and cheeky nod to classic rave posters and flyers. And the album title is "brat". What is brattier than having this as the album cover?? If you get it, you get it. If you don't - you can cry about it all you want! 

Edited by LG666
  • Thanks 3

Aussie

Sorry but her response is bs. As if the only way to do art for a cover is to have your body or even face on. Yet there are good album covers, bad ones and lazy ones. 

moonsago

It’s time we take back important words from entitled and delusional popstars because they’re ruining their meaning making it harder for people to then take these issues seriously. She’s NOT helping women making irresponsible statements like this one. 

• Like 1

TheSine
1 hour ago, LG666 said:

PS: for those who think this is "lazy" - it's an intentional and cheeky nod to classic rave posters and flyers. And the album title is "brat". What is brattier than having this as the album cover?? If you get it, you get it. If you don't - you can cry about it all you want! 

At least show some examples because genuinely I don't remember seeing any rave posters with a solid color and a regular font that bluntly says "Spongebib Rave at 7PM EST." :ladyhaha:

🖤TheSine🖤

VOLANTIS

Its just unpleasant to look at but I respect her vision. Like look at extremely minimal covers like Beyonce's self titled, idk why but thats more aesthetically pleasing while this gives more idgaf energy. Again, I respect it and her reasoning too but as fans and consumers its not entirely out of touch to criticize the cover either tbh

Edited by VOLANTIS
I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half
  • Like 1

SevenWonder

I love album covers that don't use the musician/artist. In fact, I tend to love them more. My favorite - and perhaps the most most iconic - being Nirvana's Nevermind. It made a statement about capitalism in such a clever way WAY back in the early 90s. The band/Cobain are no where to be found. But the cover is pure genius. 

But this is just dull and kinda without any thought or intention. And I love Charlie. 

Chesescake

I like the narrative so far. 

She really acting like a pretentious pop stars like she mentioned during the interview. Which also fit the title "brat".

LG666
1 hour ago, TheSine said:

At least show some examples because genuinely I don't remember seeing any rave posters with a solid color and a regular font that bluntly says "Spongebib Rave at 7PM EST." :ladyhaha:

Feel free to research and educate yourself, plenty of resources out there such as this book.

• Love 2

blackpink

i’ve been a fan for a while but there’s something very insufferable about her nowadays. her siding with her racist friend over the rina sawayama masters debacle really made me side eye her  

Edited by blackpink
  • Thanks 1