Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
opinion

⚫️ LG7: FUNK 🎷 2025

Nutella

Featured Posts

Nutella

Hello everyone! This is my very first thread on GGD, though I have been a Little Monster since 2008 (and lurking on this website since 2020). I'm excited to hopefully participate more this year, with so much on the horizon! My apologies if this post is considered too lengthy; I feel like Kermit, trying to frantically type out my thoughts before Lady Gaga beats me to the punch and surprise drops the album 🐸

LG was a source of light & inspiration for me in middle & high school, and although the mysterious sparkle of 2008-2011 has almost entirely vanished, I will always be curious about what she is going to do next. She is once-in-a-generation talent.

Some context/POV:

Spoiler

•Loved The Fame (mostly the singles)

•OBSESSED with TFM

•OBSESSED with BTW

•ARTPOP was okay

•Loathed Joanne

•Chromatica was disappointing 

---

Give me dark, synthy techno pop. The Bad Romances, the Heavy Metal Lovers, Bloody Marys, Just Dances, Poker Faces, Paparazzis, Government Hookers, etc.

However, I realize that part of those songs’ appeal was her mysterious aura at the time. She was slinky and bizarre. She wielded a "disco stick" and she danced like a malfunctioning robot.

If she were to make those same songs now, they would feel stilted & inauthentic. Not because she isn't as talented anymore, but because we know more about her as a real person now. There is no more hiding behind “up-and-coming pop singer” smoke and mirrors.

That’s not a bad thing. It’s to be expected. Her strangeness served a purpose and propelled her into the stratosphere. Now she has the luxury of making music (and makeup and booze 👀) that she is passionate about. The more power to her! We should want good things for her, in return for all that she has given us.

Having said that, I could go my entire life without hearing Million Reasons or Shallow ever again. Didn’t see Joker & have almost no interest in the sequel (yet), I must admit.

Hope that doesn’t ruffle any feathers. I don’t mean to sound like a “fair weather fan.”
I love this community and I am grateful for memories and music that will last forever! 💞

ANYWAY, with that in mind, let us look forward! Here is my main LG7 prediction:

It makes sense that Gaga would try to avoid pop music after Chromatica; as a businesswoman, she wants to cast a wide net and maximize her appeal (for better or worse). But I think most of us are hoping she won’t pivot into rock/folk. Not ALL of us... but certainly most. While she would devour both genres, her core fanbase would be disheartened. There probably wouldn't be enough Nurtec in the world to cope.

But I hold onto hope for something fresh and unexpected. PERHAPS we’ve overlooked the glaringly obvious? Idk if anyone has already made this specific prediction on here… but I believe Lady Gaga is currently forming a FUNK record!!!

Funk, of course, is rock’s flamboyant and soulful brother.

---

Gaga has posted several studio photos featuring brass/horns/guitars/pianos. She herself has cast doubt on the possibility of rock’n’roll… but unless she is in the very early stages- still creating basic melodies and hooks- it’s clear those instruments are going to play a huge role in the sound/texture of this upcoming album (and I personally doubt that she would retread into pop~rock Edge of Glory territory YET- I imagine she'd want to move in a more innovative direction).

It wouldn’t be my FIRST choice, but if she did pursue funk... she would be reinvigorating a genre that hasn’t been touched by a female singer for a while (Bruno Mars is boring as hell, sorry) & she would likely shake up music industry trends once again. Sonically, I think it’s GP-friendly, with enough wiggle room to take it in novel creative directions, a la Gaga. If she did it right, she could open a “lane” just for herself (at least until everyone else files in afterward).

---

What would *modern* funk songs from a woman sound like (its heyday was decades ago), especially with a full-throated LG stank to them?? 🎼🎤

Here are some of my favorite funk songs, for a frame of reference:

Spoiler

•Cameo- Word Up (though I prefer Mel B’s cover)

•Earth Wind & Fire- Let’s Groove

•Gap Band- You Dropped a B*mb on Me

•KC & Sunshine Band- That’s The Way I Like It, Get Down Tonight

---

•Kool & the Gang- Get Down On It, Jungle Boogey

•Ohio Players- Love Rollercoaster

•Parliament Funkedelic- Atomic Dog

•S.O.S. Band- Take Your Time

-Wild Cherry- Play That Funky Music

---

•Sly & the Family Stone- Thank You For Letting Me Be Myself

•The Staple Sisters- I’ll Take You There

-Chaka Khan- Tell Me Something Good, Feel For You

-Lipps, inc- Funkytown

Imagine Gaga performing any of those songs & try not to dance/move!

House & country music are currently twirling around onstage… but I suspect funk music is waiting in the wings.
Am I delusional? Or am I just DESPERATE for LG7 to not be boring? Gaga I beg you, keep making us dance 🥹

ALSO, not to be a Debbie Downer, but…

Spoiler

Realistically speaking (unless Gaga is gearing up for a Taylor Swift-level burst of energy) I believe the album will arrive in 2025. I’ve been wrong before, but I’m not sure I WANT to be wrong in this context 🤔

If it dropped this summer, it would become our "Joker 2 press tour" soundtrack. But what if we don’t like Joker 2… and then LG7 leaves a bad taste in our mouths, forever after?  Or vice versa?

Personally, I think these two projects deserve their own room to breathe. Which would require patience & an “enjoy the journey” mindset from us.
And we are so good at that! 😉🤡

I don’t want Gaga to release music like Rihanna, but do we REALLY want her to release like Taylor??
Karma is her boyfriend but she’s flirting with overexposure...

Thank you for reading! Sorry it was wordy. Eager to hear your opinions!
I have enjoyed reading many of your guys’ thoughts on here for years now. Be well

Edited by JessFletch
  • Like 3
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 9
  • Thanks 1

PartySick
36 minutes ago, JessFletch said:

Loathed Joanne

And to think I helped you...

Oh No Comedy GIF by CBC

37 minutes ago, JessFletch said:

But I hold onto hope for something fresh and unexpected. PERHAPS we’ve overlooked the glaringly obvious? Idk if anyone has already made this specific prediction on here… but I believe Lady Gaga is currently forming a FUNK record!!!

Funk, of course, is rock’s flamboyant and soulful brother.

But I am 10000% here for this :bradley:

Funk, R&B, new jack swing, and related genres are my favorite. I'd die :bradley:

• LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

Nutella

@PartySick She gave me a million reasons to walk away, but I only needed one ROM to stay

Edited by JessFletch
  • LMAO 1

• Nutella changed the title to LG7: FUNK 🎷
Ultimecia

Great read! :holdmyhand:

Time. It will not wait, no matter how hard you hold on...
  • Thanks 1

TheSine

Welcome to GGD. Hope you take a liking to what's in store for you here. :firega:

It's my dream for Lady Gaga to do a funk record so I'm with you.

"👁 Hate U" 💜🩷🩵
  • Love 2

DiscoBro

With the rock genre and brass instruments I wouldn't mind songs sounding like this from Gaga…

julz

I would love Funk too, she did say she is not making a rock album so... 

I want something fun and light from Gaga and not dark. I wanna feel her peace.

Welcome!  :trollga:

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

TEANUS

So the original LG5 :bradley:

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

BlingNotTheMusic

The funky pop she did pre The Fame were awesome like Sexy Ugly, Real Cool, Dirty Ice Cream etc. 

I'd love like Fame (Bowie) + Gesaffelstein + Woodkid fusion 

Edited by BlingNotTheMusic
https://discord.gg/hausofdelulu
  • Love 3

King of the Fall

There has been a lot of speculation in here recently about Gaga getting inspiration from David Bowie's 1976 artrock/funk masterpiece, Station to Station for LG7. I could totally see it happening and I think Gaga would kill doing music in a style like that.

He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and shadow and he is a great favorite
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 2

Nutella

@Angelene I haven't heard STS myself, will need to check it out. I'm still bummed that we missed out on that Bowie-esque guitar from the Babylon demo.

Edited by JessFletch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Helxig

I said the same thing once. That her new album was going to be funk. I was convinced

40c1bcb617afc8f92deb3dc004d23a77.gif

We called the album 'LG5'. Oh how wrong I was

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.
  • Sad 2

• Nutella changed the title to ⚫️ LG7: FUNK 🎷 2025