💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

G.U.Y. flopping makes no sense

ThisGuyTony

Featured Posts

Sneaky Oliver

She could have released Bad Romance at late 2013 or early 2014 and it would have flopped just the same. It was not about the music itself, it was about the timing 

Also there was the Covers/Tribute era between GUY and PI, these two dont share the same momentum 

I’m on my Legacy Act era
  • Like 1

r4therupbeat

a very difficult time for me when it was released as she was not considered cool and mostly hated by everyone and not respected until she did a 180 after with Million Reasons (weirdly so).

the song itself was released so late in the era and the album came out a year to 2 too late. Besides her team being ****, releasing music so late, to the point that the sound is super dated is one of her biggest issues in her career since BTW tbh

Edited by r4therupbeat
typo

HookerOnAChurch
On 11/26/2023 at 12:41 AM, Luke78619 said:

Simple, no radio plays, so the GP doesn’t even know it exists :ladyhaha:

Happy Married At First Sight GIF by Lifetime

• Like 1

Because it’s really not a good song, it’s so corny, I liked it back when I was 17 because that’s what you listen to as a teen. It flopped because it’s BAD lol

𝕯𝕵, 𝖋𝖗𝖊𝖊 𝖒𝖞 𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖉
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Versace

G.U.Y and its mv is what the GP expected the AP era to start with but they got Applause and it’s video instead which was not the most marketable thing at the time, also G.U.Y came after the mess that was DWUW era and by the time G.U.Y was out the GP lost interest in the era. People were also busy enjoying Dark Horse and its vid as it was THE Pop song during G.U.Y’s rollout. 

Anderson123
3 hours ago, r4therupbeat said:

a very difficult time for me when it was released as she was not considered cool and mostly hated by everyone and not respected until she did a 180 after with Million Reasons (weirdly so).

the song itself was released so late in the era and the album came out a year to 2 too late. Besides her team being ****, releasing music so late, to the point that the sound is super dated is one of her biggest issues in her career since BTW tbh

I'll never understand what her or her team's plans were for ARTPOP if they intended it to come out in 2012 when Born This Way had just came out in 2011 and it's TOO GOOD of an album to quickly move to the next one. I don't know if she was the one who wanted that or just Troy's team pressuring her but 4 albums in 4 years would've been exhausting, and I'm sure it still was because of that hip surgery she had to get.

r4therupbeat
On 12/1/2023 at 3:02 PM, Anderson123 said:

I'll never understand what her or her team's plans were for ARTPOP if they intended it to come out in 2012 when Born This Way had just came out in 2011 and it's TOO GOOD of an album to quickly move to the next one. I don't know if she was the one who wanted that or just Troy's team pressuring her but 4 albums in 4 years would've been exhausting, and I'm sure it still was because of that hip surgery she had to get.

well, how it used to be done back thens=: you'd have the last single from the album on the radio and then you release the new lead single from the new era album (like Paparazzi/Bad Romance, . not giving up on the era after 2 singles like Beyonce and gaga do nowadays and just do a tour.

Having a year off between eras is not bad, as long as the music doesn't sound dated. which was the case for the Majority of ARTPOP and Stupid love

• Like 1

ChicaSkas
On 11/25/2023 at 2:11 PM, Juanlittlem said:

I feel it was way too late into the era for the GP or people to care about it. Applause was released in August, the album happened in November and G.U.Y in March.

Yeah but the hardcore fans loved it..I forgot how late in the game it was released though!

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

hieronymus
On 12/1/2023 at 7:58 AM, Bowman said:

Because it’s really not a good song, it’s so corny, I liked it back when I was 17 because that’s what you listen to as a teen. It flopped because it’s BAD lol

It's very corny. The lyrical concept and her delivery in the verses are so overwrought

• Like 2

Juanlittlem
1 hour ago, ChicaSkas said:

Yeah but the hardcore fans loved it..I forgot how late in the game it was released though!

Its my fave ARTPOP song so yeah

Locked in a basement again?! / I ❤️ Teletubby.

22 minutes ago, hieronymus said:

It's very corny. The lyrical concept and her delivery in the verses are so overwrought

I agree, I can’t really explain it but it also just doesn’t really feel like her? 

𝕯𝕵, 𝖋𝖗𝖊𝖊 𝖒𝖞 𝖒𝖎𝖓𝖉
  • Like 1

Agunimon
7 minutes ago, Bowman said:

I agree, I can’t really explain it but it also just doesn’t really feel like her? 

This is my issue with a lot of ARTPOP, G.U.Y included. I’m sure many would disagree, but from a musical perspective, camp is not a word I would use to describe her music. That is, it wasn’t a word I would have used until that was released. Her visuals and fashion for sure, but not her music. I played the album like any other, because it was her latest at the time and I was a big fan back then. But to me it was a departure from the kind of sound I had grown to expect after The Fame Monster and Born This Way, and it’s a sound I don’t take seriously as much as the sound there. 

Edited by Agunimon
  • Like 2

Ladle Ghoulash
1 hour ago, Agunimon said:

This is my issue with a lot of ARTPOP, G.U.Y included. I’m sure many would disagree, but from a musical perspective, camp is not a word I would use to describe her music. That is, it wasn’t a word I would have used until that was released. Her visuals and fashion for sure, but not her music. I played the album like any other, because it was her latest at the time and I was a big fan back then. But to me it was a departure from the kind of sound I had grown to expect after The Fame Monster and Born This Way, and it’s a sound I don’t take seriously as much as the sound there. 

Idk I think “I don’t speak German, but I can if you’d like *proceeds to speak gibberish*,” “bluffin’ with my muffin,” “Put your hands on me, John F. Kennedy,” “I wanna take a ride on your disco stick,” “Rah rah ah ah ah,” “Don’t be a drag, just be a queen,” “Love it when you call me ‘legs,’ in the morning, buy me eggs,” and the cartoon Western style gun shot at the end of Americano are a few examples of Gaga’s music being pretty camp. IMO, the main difference was the aesthetic of the camp: I think ARTPOP’s camp was more bombastic and absurdist, whereas some of the other stuff on TF, TFM, and BTW was delivered either in a tongue and cheek fashion or at least played a bit more seriously. I think part of ARTPOP’s deconstruction of Gaga’s persona was, ultimately, taking the piss out of herself a bit. 

• Like 1