opinion

How Gaga saved her career after ARTPOP

Marilyn MonHoe

Featured Posts

Marilyn MonHoe

I thought this was a good summary of events of Gaga’s life from 2013-2019 and how changing her image was instrumental to saving her career. In case some newer fans wanted some insight into her career at the time :vegas:

• Like 2
  • YAAAS 4

Bonkers

ARTPOP wasn't the problem.  The problem was that she had climbed to the top of world and she was burnt out and having a mental and physical breakdown.  And at the same time, powerfully influential people like Perez Hilton were actively doing everything they could to tear her down.

She focused on herself and saved herself.  She's always going to dominate when she's thinking straight.

Edited by Bonkers
Remember to like and subscribe, and click on the bell icon to get the latest updates
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

Marilyn MonHoe
2 hours ago, Bonkers said:

ARTPOP wasn't the problem.  The problem was that she had climbed to the top of world and she was burnt out and having a mental and physical breakdown.  And at the same time, powerfully influential people like Perez Hilton were actively doing everything they could to tear her down.

She focused on herself and saved herself.  She's always going to dominate when she's thinking straight.

The video’s author actually states what you said. ARTPOP wasn’t the problem specifically, it was the general perception of the public towards Gaga that foretold ARTPOPs failure along with various segments of her team abandoning her when she needed support the most.

The video doesn’t talk about this but a lot of “fans” also turned their back on her as well. When I first saw Gaga’s tweet talking about how fans were sending her hate, it was really heart wrenching. That was the turning point of when Gaga decided to pull back from her fanbase so that she could start to rely on herself, her friends and her family for emotional support, instead of being so dependent on her fans.

Edited by Marilyn MonHoe
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

HelloHangoverz
1 minute ago, Marilyn MonHoe said:

The video’s author actually states what you said. ARTPOP wasn’t the problem specifically, it was the general perception of the public towards Gaga that foretold ARTPOPs failure along with various segments of her team abandoning her when she needed support the most.

The video doesn’t talk about this but a lot of “fans” also turned their back on her as well. When I first saw Gaga’s tweet talking about how fans were sending her hate, it was really heart wrenching. That was the turning point of when Gaga decided to pull back from her fans so that she could start to rely on herself, her friends and her family for emotional support, instead of being so dependent on her fans.

I agree. She'd reached a crossroads where the next steps would determine if she'd be a legacy artist or a lasting figure in the industry. She pulled a Madonna-post-Sex-book move and chilled right out, then came back with Chromatica which was her Ray Of Light. Madonna released Something To Remember and did Evita, Gaga did A Star Is Born/The Cure/Joanne/C2C. Bobby is a genius manager imo

sometimes he saw his real face, and sometimes a stranger in his place
  • YAAAS 1

Marilyn MonHoe
31 minutes ago, HelloHangoverz said:

I agree. She'd reached a crossroads where the next steps would determine if she'd be a legacy artist or a lasting figure in the industry. She pulled a Madonna-post-Sex-book move and chilled right out, then came back with Chromatica which was her Ray Of Light. Madonna released Something To Remember and did Evita, Gaga did A Star Is Born/The Cure/Joanne/C2C. Bobby is a genius manager imo

Bobby could see the writing on the wall and supported Gaga’s vision of essentially restarting her career. Fans might not like Joanne but it was essential in cleansing the palate of not only the fanbase but also for the gp as well. Joanne is one of the reasons why Chromatica’s art direction, outfits and visual design was so well received by fans. It wouldn’t have had the same effect if Gaga had done nothing but Avante Garde fashion nonstop for 7 years leading up to Chromatica’s release

• Like 3
  • Love 3

HelloHangoverz
28 minutes ago, Marilyn MonHoe said:

Bobby could see the writing on the wall and supported Gaga’s vision of essentially restarting her career. Fans might not like Joanne but it was essential in cleansing the palate of not only the fanbase but also for the gp as well. Joanne is one of the reasons why Chromatica’s art direction, outfits and visual design was so well received by fans. It wouldn’t have had the same effect if Gaga had done nothing but Avante Garde fashion nonstop for 7 years leading up to Chromatica’s release

Yeah, it would be stale af! Imagine a Witness era from Gaga, I'd keel over :enigma:

sometimes he saw his real face, and sometimes a stranger in his place
  • YAAAS 1

StrawberryBlond

It was clear that her comeback plan was taken straight out of the Beyonce comeback playbook, seeing as she did moves that were similar or exactly the same as what Beyonce did when she worked up to her big comeback in 2013 - a bunch of live performances that slayed, a SB headlining set, an occasional stand-alone song, a new album that tried something different, etc. And it worked. It was all about taking it back to basics and show that regardless of what you thought of Gaga's music, it was undeniable that she was a talented singer, songwriter and performer who was worthy of fame, success, praise and especially worthy of your money to buy her music and concert tickets. But I do have to wonder if this course would have looked different had Beyonce not mastered this comeback technique the year before to draw inspiration from. Regardless, Bobby turned a bad situation around and us Gaga fans should be so grateful for his direction at such a precarious time for our girl. 

GaGaAst

2014 to 2015 was the most important phase post ARTPOP. 

If only she had released original LG5 or ASIB level quality songs in Joanne, her career would have skyrocketed again. 

But she is really happy with where she is now and is fully deserved. 

Love it when you call me legs In the morning, buy me eggs

Ladle Ghoulash
2 hours ago, Starmie25 said:

Hot take: An album like Joanne was inevitable even had ARTPOP performed commercially.

100%. People act like her doing an americana record was completely out of left field when she’d been covering Neil Young’s “Out on the Weekend” since 2008, cites Springsteen as a massive influence, and is the same artist that wrote “Yoü and I,” “The Edge of Glory,” “Dope,” and “Gypsy” (as well as having recorded a “country” version of BTW). 

Edited by Ladle Ghoulash
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 1

phantasmas
2 hours ago, Starmie25 said:

Hot take: An album like Joanne was inevitable even had ARTPOP performed commercially.

especially from an artist from the USA who wants to sing about her experience living in the USA :sure: like why did some of yall act so obtuse

• Like 1