💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Did Taylor have any hits in 2016-2021?

qoqo

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Admin said:

That’s because you can’t debate the fact that “Shake It Off” receives more daily streams than any Rihanna or Beyonce or Gaga song, and has 3 billion views on YouTube (which is also more than any Rihanna or Beyonce or Gaga video).

How come its streams on Spotify pale in comparison to Blinding Lights, As it was, Shape of you and even dance monkey. Swish swish has a lot of YouTube views but that’s not even considered a hit. 99% of countries don’t use YouTube for charts and its weightage has reduced dramatically in the US. Blinding lights is close to 4 billion streams, shake it off only reached a billion in April. It didn’t even get to top 5 in many many countries. It’s a huge hit but let’s stop the hyperbole. 

Edited by Glojuice

7 minutes ago, Glojuice said:

Blinding lights is close to 4 billion streams, shake it off only reached a billion in April. It’s a huge hit but let’s stop the hyperbole  

Literally nobody is arguing that “Shake It Off” is bigger or even as big as “Blinding Lights”. What’s your point?

7 minutes ago, Glojuice said:

How come its streams on Spotify pale in comparison to Blinding Lights, As it was, Shape of you and even dance monkey.

All the songs you mentioned came out in the streaming era, “Shake It Off” came out before Spotify even existed. That’s why. 

Following your logic, “Just Dance” wasn’t a hit because it doesn’t have 1 billion streams.

By the way, “Shake It Off” receives more daily streams today than “Shape of You”, and twice as many streams as “Dance Monkey”.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Admin said:

Literally nobody is arguing that “Shake It Off” is bigger or even as big as “Blinding Lights”. What’s your point?

All the songs you mentioned came out in the streaming era, “Shake It Off” came out before Spotify even existed. That’s why. 

Following your logic, “Just Dance” wasn’t a hit because it doesn’t have 1 billion streams.

By the way, “Shake It Off” receives more daily streams today than “Shape of You”, and twice as many streams as “Dance Monkey”.

Spotify had 50 million users when Shake it off came out. Thinking out loud has double its streams and came out at the same time. And obviously her catalogue is getting lots of streams, she’s in cinemas and in a world tour and she’s the most streamed artist in the world. I’m not downplaying any of that but let’s be real, Shake it off wasn’t as big a hit in many countries. Look at her discography, it didn’t reach top 5 in many. She has yet to achieve an iconic cultural shifting hit 

Edited by Glojuice

9 minutes ago, Glojuice said:

Spotify had 50 million users when Shake it off came out.

1. That’s nothing compared to how many it has today

2. Taylor Swift’s discography was taken off of Spotify from 2014 to 2017, so it didn’t get any streams for the first 3 years of release

Thinking out loud has double its streams and came out at the same time.

Thinking Out Loud is the 23rd most-streamed song in Spotify HISTORY, and THE most streamed song released pre-streaming era. Why do you keep bringing up these monster smashes to prove your point?

And obviously her catalogue is getting lots of streams, she’s in cinemas and in a world tour and she’s the most streamed artist in the world.

“Shake It Off” was getting these kind of numbers even before she went on tour

I’m not downplaying any of that

You are, you literally said that nobody listens to Shake It Off and that it wasn’t “a modern hit" which is what I responded to

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Taylucifer
3 hours ago, Glojuice said:

As poplover has made a good distinction between Monster hits and iconic hits. Taylor has a lot of hit singles but she has no iconic hits. If I went out on the street and interviewed different age ranges would they know out of the woods or Style or even All too well. And I mean beyond the US. Even though Australia is the biggest market for Taylor I rarely hear her songs in clubs or parties and almost never any of her old hits like love song. Now when Just dance’s opening riff starts, crowds still go wild. 

I think Taylor does have the iconic hits (You Belong With Me, Love Story, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, I Knew You Were Trouble, 22, Shake It Off and Blank Space). You can pick and choose which ones you feel are most relevant to your area as it varies based on location, some songs are simply bigger in different places. For me I would say You Belong With Me and 22 are her most enduring hits which I find people return to and know. They are not the biggest tracks from that time but are the ones I hear when I hear Taylor.

I am from NZ and hear at least one of her songs each weekend at parties and it is almost always You Belong With Me, sometimes Love Story, occasionally 22, rarely Blank Space. Or look at the athletes being hounded by social media managers to say their favourite Taylor song lately, it is usually YBWM, 22, Love Story or a random deep cut. 

I think to say that any pop star who has been in the game for so long doesn't have iconic hits would be incorrect. Being the 'just dance girl' or 'you belong with me girl' gives a lot of recognition and aids in building a platform especially when most of our current pop girls were up and coming. I think that has changed in recent years but that's kinda a different conversation. 

The Tortured Poets Department is out NOW

5 minutes ago, Admin said:

Thinking Out Loud is the 23rd most-streamed song in Spotify HISTORY, and THE most streamed song released pre-streaming era. Why do you keep bringing up these monster smashes to prove your point?

Isn’t that my point, it’s not a monster smash! It’s a huge hit but not an iconic one which has been my point all along 

6 minutes ago, Admin said:

You are, you literally said that nobody listens to Shake It Off and that it wasn’t “a modern hit" which is what I responded to

Wait! I never said any of that, not even close. Why are you totally making up random sentences that I never said 

6 hours ago, Karl said:

Look what you made me do, End Game, Me!, You need to calm down, the man were all pretty big I think? 

Ehhhhh I think all 4 were pretty clowned lol especially Me and LWYMMD. Even fans say the former is crap and the latter was kinda comical. Any charting they did was more on the back of her brand than the songs and I think it’s okay to acknowledge that sometimes :laughga:

• Thanks 1

Taylucifer
2 hours ago, dimitristhe said:

Midnights is a controversial topic, I still can’t figure out if Anti Hero is a big hit or a fan made hit. 

No because this is something I think about CONSTANTLY and that is as a major swiftie. Some people love this song and I- I think it is a fine song but oh my lord, by all metrics it has been a success, on the charts for longer than Shake It Off or Love Story. I have the feeling it is very USA focused and therefore feels fan made to me as an international swiftie. But it also seems like everyone around me is aware of the 'I'm the problem it's me' line so I have NO CLUE:saladga:

The Tortured Poets Department is out NOW

Oh I 100% agree with that. She’s the biggest star in the world by a large margin. My point was more about her catalog of singles are lacking any big moments in pop culture. I feel even anti hero which was a huge hit has kinda been forgotten 

I feel like your point is less that she doesn’t have hits and more that she doesn’t have iconic moments.

id kinda agree with that. I mean, anti-hero could have been anyone singing it tbh it’s kind of a faceless hit. same for shake it off and most of her pop stuff. It just isn’t that ownable to her unlike, say, Single Ladies, Pokerface, California Gurls, etc. Like those songs, even if less big, are ownable to their artist’s and no one else so the hit feels more attributed to them. On the flip, love story and you belong with me are OWNABLE Taylor songs for sure.

not saying her pop stuff is bad. Blank space is legit a great pop song. She did that. But could someone else have sang it, too? I mean yeah probably imo. But I may also be biased bc I think her pop songwriting is so so and her country pop is top tier 

Edited by Ziggy

Wait! I never said any of that, not even close. Why are you totally making up random sentences that I never said 

?

5 hours ago, Glojuice said:

does anyone really play shake it off

1 billion is not a modern iconic hit though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ziggy said:

I feel like your point is less that she doesn’t have hits and more that she doesn’t have iconic moments.

id kinda agree with that. I mean, anti-hero could have been anyone singing it tbh same for shake it off and most of her pop stuff. It just isn’t that openable to her unlike, say, Single Ladies, Pokerface, California Gurls, etc. Like those songs, even if less big, are ownable to their artist’s and no one else so the hit feels more attributed to them. On the flip, love story and you belong with me are OWNABLE Taylor songs 

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying. Like the opening notes of Bad Romance or even Blinding lights, you can immediately feel the atmosphere in the room change. I just attended a wedding and you can really tell which song gets kids and grandmas up and dancing. I was surprised that the people on my table didn’t know Anti hero (they were a bit older) but as soon as Abba, Gaga and Beyonce came on they were straight to the dance door. 
I feel love story and you belong with me were much bigger in English speaking countries than anywhere else. 

5 minutes ago, Admin said:

?

Do you have problems with reading comprehension? Read what I said and then read what you said. They don’t match