Jump to content
society

India debating whether to change their name


waterfall

Country Name  

77 members have voted

  1. 1. Which name do you prefer?

    • India
      53
    • Bharat
      24


Featured Posts

RAMROD

I don't really have opinion of this, but if they wanna do it because it is a way that would put pressure to minority groups in that country, I would totally disagree with that decision.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ⁱᵐ'ᵐᵃ ʰⁱᵗ ᵈᵉᶠʳᵒˢᵗ ᵒⁿ ʸᵃ, ˡᵉᵗ'ˢ ᵍᵉᵗ ⁱᵗ ᵇˡᵃᶻⁱⁿᵍ﹗ (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's not up to us foreign people to weigh in this issue :bear:

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.
Link to post
Share on other sites

bionic
54 minutes ago, Bowman said:

If they wanna change it then fine, but i'm sure people will still always refer to it as India tbh

Burma changed its name to Myanmar, to try and be more inclusive to other ethnicities and gained independence from Britain since. But people still see it as Burma.

I agree that it'll probably be stay India in English (at least for a long time)

As a counterpoint to Burma/Myanmar however, how many people call Sri Lanka 'Ceylon' anymore? Czechia has had middling levels of success

Link to post
Share on other sites

Natalia Kills

Yeah, on the surface you may say “slay aunty” but Bharat is Modi’s way of amplifying a nationalist Hindu state that persecutes Muslims. 

Indian leadership keeps using colonialism as a scapegoat for its deeper discriminatory problems that in some situations precede it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the same government that has removed the Taj Mahal from all tourism brochures and stopped providing sufficient money for its upkeep as it was a “Muslim” symbol. The same PM who let thousands and thousands of Muslims die. Who the BBC investigated extensively and confirmed that war crimes were committed. Yeah this is a distraction from what they are trying to actually do, make India a Hindu and not secular state. For those who don’t know Gandhi is considered  anti Indian in recent years and the anti Muslim RSS (the person who killed Gandhi was from the RSS) are becoming mainstream 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Railing said:

why do people think that a desire to not have a name associated with slavery is "right-wing nonsense" :rip:

....because it is.

I mean the name change has always been in discussion but never was a major issue. But recently all the opposition parties have made an alliance called I.N.D.I.A (Indian National Development Inclusive Alliance), so the govt suddenly proposed the name change agenda again lol it's so blatant it's funny.

 

The right wing govt used to tease the oppositional parties by calling them anti-national or anti-India, so they all grouped and branded themselves as I.N.D.I.A and dared the govt to be against them as that would be being anti-India, so this sudden name change from govt front...

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so tragic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ayesha Erotica
15 hours ago, bionic said:

As a counterpoint to Burma/Myanmar however, how many people call Sri Lanka 'Ceylon' anymore? Czechia has had middling levels of success

Probably less than 2% among those aged 50 and younger. Sri Lanka is prevailing.

 

@Topic: I support India's namechange. India is an eurocentric-name which is like an umbrella word for everything "foreign, far away, not from here, not us, indigenous, Columbus travelled somewhere and that was supposed India but wasn't India but people got called Indians".

Bharat sounds OK for me.

Yes, you are all right when you criticize it and say that it doesn't  culturally-historically include the Muslim tribes which it really does not as it derives from a Hindu culture specific term. Yet, Hindu constitutes the majority of India...and it is more than two-thirds. It is a democratic process to name a nation after a majority.  So many nations in the world are named after one ethnic tribe that at one point constituted the majority of a territory and less-numerous tribes were not the namegivers. Still, the non-Hindu tribes won't like the name Bharat and stick to India, this is the same reason why English continues to be an official language in India/Bharat because no other national language can challenge Hindi except for the former colonial language English. Using English in India however does nothing to protect the smaller Indian languages...this is kinda tension and conflict that isn't easy to solve.

Why doesn't India abolish English and replace it with the 2nd, 3rd and 4th most spoken native language after Hindi? I'm sure a country with 1,4 milliard inhabitants can afford (at least) 4 national langues at nation-state level (and not just at the level of federal states).

Your boyfriend comes over with a bit of gun oil Says he wants to step on new soil
Link to post
Share on other sites

Economy

I mean i see the reasoning behind it given the history and if thats what they chose great for them, i will certainly respect it

 

But if they choose to leave it as is, im fine with that too... like the thing with history is that values are constantly changing and u will never approve of ppl 300 years ago and ppl will never approve of people on 2023 when its 2333 (Maybe Lady Gaga will get a statue for her life work with LGBT but then ppl will demand it be taken down because she wasnt vegetarian and maybe in 300 years when no one eats meat the thought will be so imoral and apauling)

 

I think if u try to act high and mighty and change every street name, city or country etc etc etc it will never end because more than not will have some kind of root not accepted by todays standards

 

Canada where im from also has a questionable history with its name due to a language misunderstanding with the 1st Nations. I bet to varying degrees most Countries have some kind of negative connotation to their name. If not from one angle than from another

 

But again, if they want to change it because it reminds them of colonization, thats all perfectly reasonable too, and its their Country at the end of the day

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

27monster27
On 9/5/2023 at 11:48 PM, weed said:

I love the word India and it is so iconic but I definitely support changing the name bc F colonialism. It's definitely a major decision, changes all maps, "I'm Indian" becomes.. "Bharatian" ? Bharatese? If they change now, in 50+ years it won't be so strange. Thailand was Siam before, I never knew until I googled rn lmao. 

 

On 9/6/2023 at 12:41 AM, tylertremallose said:

i only knew it was Siam cuz of the cat song from lady and the tramp

Yeah Myanmar used to be Burma too.

he/him/his
Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...