❤︎ ❤︎ ❤︎
celeb

Charli XCX on the discourse surrounding “Rush” music video and body diversity

Teletubby

Featured Posts

edengowon

it also reeks of homophobia that nobody complains when countless pop girls record music videos with a bunch of skinny, conventionally attractive back-up dancers, but troye gets absolutely torn apart for it. let's not act like even born this way, a song about loving yourself, doesn't have a remarkably narrow window of body diversity in its music video. and the reason why most pop girls don't get dragged for it, is because it ultimately doesn't matter.

there are music videos and artists with broad body diversity, and it's absolutely virtue signalling if we expect every artist to put together their music video cast and go "oh well we don't have a fat person yet, let's get one". that's not inclusion, it's tokenism. 

the artist formerly known as melancholia

Controversiaga

It is homophobia/femme men-phobia and transphobia.

katy Perry is allowed to release “I kissed a girl” with a music video that has lots of girl on girl action and it’s hot and sexy and a big hit

any openly LGBTQ artist does it n ppl r like “ew wtf lol”

Pronounced like “Balenciaga” . Emphasis on the “Ga”

Blake

It's not even close to her place to be saying all of this. Next.

-

Also not people in this thread seeing no issue with it. Clearly it's an issue when the artist claims that the video is a 'love letter to the community' and you're leaving out part of the community. Not to mention the aesthetic they're pulling off is mainly associated with larger gays/bears/daddies and there isn't any in sight. 

It's not cute and neither are the people condoning this.

moonsago

Exactly, as somebody once said ‘uh oh guys the art police is here’. People are losing their minds these days over everything... 

elijahfan

Wholeheartedly agree with her. Following the Sam Smith backlash, it becomes very obvious that it mainly happens when it involves LGBT artists and we really can never win.

Also, as a skinny person myself, I have to say that seeing skinny and not so muscular male bodies in the media is a good thing too. The first time I felt actually good about my body was when I saw the way Timothée Chalamet was shot in Call Me By Your Name. Body diversity can mean many different things, and Troye is basically expressing himself about what he knows.

holy scheisse

I completely agree with her. People need to get a grip. 

Ziggy
6 hours ago, Melancholia said:

it also reeks of homophobia that nobody complains when countless pop girls record music videos with a bunch of skinny, conventionally attractive back-up dancers, but troye gets absolutely torn apart for it. let's not act like even born this way, a song about loving yourself, doesn't have a remarkably narrow window of body diversity in its music video. and the reason why most pop girls don't get dragged for it, is because it ultimately doesn't matter.

there are music videos and artists with broad body diversity, and it's absolutely virtue signalling if we expect every artist to put together their music video cast and go "oh well we don't have a fat person yet, let's get one". that's not inclusion, it's tokenism. 

Eeeeeh I think the standard just gets held different being part of the community, honestly. Like the video is said to be about queerness lmao bold statement to make if it isn’t inclusive, ya know? Like you’d be better off just being like it’s about the rush you feel or whatever tf. But when you make it specifically about the community I think you open yourself up to that critique so to me it’s like eh whatever but more shake a head and like girl you should have known better when talking about it.

But also no one said that about BTW bc that wasnt dialogue 12 years ago lol though I think I remember a thing or two about it at the time or more like a crack at the people in the vid all being muscley dancers lololol but Gaga also pulled a machine gun out of her hooha so there was a little more for people to dissect there :ladyhaha:

edengowon
10 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Eeeeeh I think the standard just gets held different being part of the community, honestly. Like the video is said to be about queerness lmao bold statement to make if it isn’t inclusive, ya know? Like you’d be better off just being like it’s about the rush you feel or whatever tf. But when you make it specifically about the community I think you open yourself up to that critique so to me it’s like eh whatever but more shake a head and like girl you should have known better when talking about it.

But also no one said that about BTW bc that wasnt dialogue 12 years ago lol though I think I remember a thing or two about it at the time or more like a crack at the people in the vid all being muscley dancers lololol but Gaga also pulled a machine gun out of her hooha so there was a little more for people to dissect there :ladyhaha:

i mean, i think it's part of an issue that's prevalent in society now where people feel the need to look exactly like someone in order to relate to them, even if body positivity isn't the focus. if the song's about queerness are body types really relevant? i mean i could complain that it's also not inclusive because there's no native american gay person in the video, or no disabled gay person, but i just don't think it's that serious.

if the song was about loving your body and feeling comfortable in your own skin, then yes, absolutely, include a range of body types. but if the song's effectively about gay sex, how does someone being skinny or not affect your ability to relate to it? i don't watch a gay romance film and say "i wish i could find this cute but i can't because they're skinny and i'm not".

the artist formerly known as melancholia

HiddenWeirdo

But also, sexy and hot music videos from women have not always been the norm. They fought their way to where it is now. Let's not forget how many obstacles Madonna had.

Queer people are doing the same. Breaking the norms now so that it becomes "normal" in the future. :holdmyhand:

Zaskar

People boo'ed me when I said the same thing in og thread.

She's absolutely right.... And she should say it.

Lizzo get fatshamed....Sam Smith gets called creepy when he/they tries to be sexy....and Troye get criticised for lack of diversity.

People need to mind their own business. Celebrities are entertainers; not activists.

• River locked this topic

Archived