Howard Stern claims that Rihanna “lip-synced 85%” of her Super Bowl performance

Teletubby

Featured Posts

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JohnnyVersace

Rihanna has always had heavy backtrack.

Rihanna has always been a lethargic dancer.

Rihanna has always relied on staging and dancers.

I truly don't understand the uproar of this performance - what were y'all expecting? :ladyhaha:

Chromatography
1 hour ago, Future Lovers said:

Part of was lip synced and part of it wasn’t. When she wasn’t lipping, the backtrack was very loud and poorly mixed for TV but apparently was not quite as overbearing in the stadium. The lipping that was done was done poorly on her end, but she was live for several spots of it. The lipping was most used when she was on the moving platforms. 

The thing bearing mind for a lot of this is that live TV broadcasts like this have FCC intervention. If an artist is deemed risky, they will come under more oversight than others. Rihanna’s setlist featured songs with a lot of expletives and that would which would put her under more scrutiny than say Katy Perry or Shakira/JLo. 

While they do not force artists to lip sync, they highly encourage as much of it or playback as possible as it reduces potential slip ups. I’m not saying that was the only motivation to use it, but I am saying the use of it most definitely would’ve been highly encouraged. 

There is more lip syncing or heavy back track use in live television performances than I think stans would like to admit to themselves, but anyone who’s worked in sound knows how common it is. It has tl be. FCC oversight is vicious. 

Madonna was heavily fined for MIA flipping the camera off for a few seconds. They don’t play around with the halftime show and this is why mant artists do choose to only do bits and pieces of it completely live. Beyonce and Gaga both are notable examples of artists who did more live than not  (Gaga especially went to great lengths to do almost all of it live without assistance and I don’t think she went into full lip territory) but neither did every note of their set 100% live with no assistance. That assistance varies per artist. 

The only reason it’s as visible with Rihanna as it was is because she’s not as good at hiding it (or doesn’t care as much to) as Beyonce or Gaga or Madonna and the like. 

this is very informative, thank you 

Sneaky Oliver

This should not be a discussion either a pregnant woman can or can not sing or dance, Rihanna did lip synced and she would have done it pregnant or not, so did Katy, Madonna and Bey. So why is it so shocking? Because she's pregnant and the other girls weren't?

I’m on my Legacy Act era

Guillaume Hamon
13 minutes ago, Sneaky Oliver said:

This should not be a discussion either a pregnant woman can or can not sing or dance, Rihanna did lip synced and she would have done it pregnant or not, so did Katy, Madonna and Bey. So why is it so shocking? Because she's pregnant and the other girls weren't?

Many believe it's way harder to sing when you're pregnant even if it's not. That's why they bring up the pregnancy.

If we're honest she came to promote her make up, music catalogue and new clothing line products showcased on the numerous dancers.

Sneaky Oliver
2 minutes ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

If we're honest she came to promote her make up, music catalogue and new clothing line products showcased on the numerous dancers.

She came to put on a huge show and she did it

UnluckyFarBorer-max-1mb.gif

I’m on my Legacy Act era

Chromatography
12 minutes ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

Many believe it's way harder to sing when you're pregnant even if it's not. That's why they bring up the pregnancy.

oh, are you a pregnant female? probably not. you probably shouldn’t talk about the difficulty of certain things while pregnant when you haven’t been pregnant and never will be. 

Agunimon

Gaga Daily claims that Rihanna “lip-synced 95%” of her Super Bowl performance

both statements are true, I fear :billie:

Agunimon
38 minutes ago, Sneaky Oliver said:

In my observation, it's being made and discussed because most people do not and have never seen Rihanna perform. I am not sure why it is as shocking to those who have, because those who have should know what to expect from a Rihanna performance. 

holy scheisse

It was both. Rihanna is known to have loud backtracking she literally drops her mic all the time and the vocals continue lol 

that’s honestly always something I noticed about her. She’ll perform a song and will have to cut off the last words of like every other line, as if she’s out of breath. She doesn’t have very good live performance vocal technique but that’s been known tbh 

4 hours ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

4 hours ago, Chromatography said:

oh, are you a pregnant female? probably not. you probably shouldn’t talk about the difficulty of certain things while pregnant when you haven’t been pregnant and never will be. 

I actually do know a bit about this even though I am male and never will be pregnant. There are of course varying degrees of problems but the standard is pretty much your voice will change because of the hormones. Female singers usually are able to reach lower notes they were not able to before while their upper range might not be reachable, sometimes even a few months after the birth. Others have claimed that they believed their breath control was better because of the lower stomach support from the baby, while others say that the lung capacity was diminished. I think it depends on the artist, the training they had before, and the type of pregnancy they have had so far. Lots of great songs have been recorded while pregnant so it’s definitely doable. 

The difference here is we aren’t just talking about singing in a studio or worrying about normal breath control. She’s actually expected to move. So yes, in this instance singing while pregnant is going to be very challenging. 

misha4ever

The beginning of the video you can see it clearly but later she does a good job because i thought it was backtrack unless it was like 50/50.

so imo if she have used more dancers and different visuals and change of scenary i think it could have been much better.

english is not my native language >.<

Monstermilo
16 hours ago, ChrissyBot said:

This. Rihanna has no excuses. Beyoncé performed and sing her ass off while pregnant like 3 times and pulled it off

HAHAHAHAHAAH FOR YOU TO BE DELULU ENOUGH TO THINK BEYONCE DIDNT LIP HER HALFTIME IS THE FUNNIEST THING EVER 

BEYONCE LIPPED MOST OF THAT SHOW 

its obvious in love on top, obvious in independent women, and in halo 

she has the mic on in some parts where she talks to the crowd but a lot of the verses and choruses are lipped for sure 

you know who didnt lip sync most of her set and sang 95% live??? LADY GAGA

Monstermilo
14 hours ago, Leoj305 said:

Unfortunate considering the level of hype behind the Rihanna name

you do realize beyonce lips half the time? theres so many videos of her getting caught yet ppl praise her lol 

keep the same energy sis cuz rihanna aint the only one who lips 

beyonce had to do a press conference cuz she lipped the national anthem lmao - theres videos of her on tour removing the mic from her mouth and the main vocals continue 

her earlier performances in the early 2000s and late 90s were heavily lipped

ChrissyBot
4 minutes ago, Monstermilo said:

HAHAHAHAHAAH FOR YOU TO BE DELULU ENOUGH TO THINK BEYONCE DIDNT LIP HER HALFTIME IS THE FUNNIEST THING EVER 

BEYONCE LIPPED MOST OF THAT SHOW 

its obvious in love on top, obvious in independent women, and in halo 

she has the mic on in some parts where she talks to the crowd but a lot of the verses and choruses are lipped for sure 

you know who didnt lip sync most of her set and sang 95% live??? LADY GAGA

Calm down. It’s not that deep.

And Beyoncé may have lip synced half her show but at least she still but on a show. Rihanna just stood there and walked a few steps. That was my point.

and we know Gaga doesn’t lip sync. She has nothing to do with this hence why I didn’t mention her :laughga:

Archived